Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine swap

tek94555 ยท 2025-04-15 17:03

we have a 2004 Linkbelt Crawler Crane 110 Ton (218 hylab) looking to swap engine for emissions. Have to put in a T4 final. Looking into it, they have been using Cummins QSB 6.7 Tier V. has anyone done one of these swaps?

Replies5
  1. #1crane operator2025-04-17 17:49

    I've never swapped in something that new. Better have a good guy for the electronics, and I have no idea how they do the "governor" portion on that. Are the new 218's using the 7.7, maybe link belt could get you a manual that has wiring diagram and a CPL for the Cummins as a place to start.

  2. #2tek945552025-04-17 18:38

    The QSB 6.7 Tier V is the one they use for the crawlers. That's the problem, likbelt is useless on this. I've spoken to dealers all over the US. and none could help. I would've thought they would have a kit, but nope. From my research, the engine management system including governor is included with the engine. But needs to get linkbet programing. I can order the harness from likbelt. I just don't know about the pump drive and interface with the rest of the crane, i.e. throttle and throttle lock, tach and engine coolant and oil pressure gages etcetera. And I'm sure there's going to be a lot of cutting and welding for engine mount and new exhaust. Those are the areas I need to figure out. I've been looking around my area and can't find anyone that does the swaps. Local Cummins dealer doesn't do them.

  3. #3crane operator2025-04-17 18:48

    I don't think you would ever find a shop willing to dive into that. It's a lot of work to repower, but they don't give away new cranes either. If you can't do it yourself, I don't think I would start on it. It's too likely that someone you bring in throws their hands up and walks with it 1/2 done. Then it's non sellable and you can't use it. I think if I was in California I would just sell it and get something compliant.

  4. #4tek945552025-04-17 18:56

    The cost to replace it is the problem, 2016 or newer in the same shape as this one are going for about 1.2 million. This unit only have 4000 hours on it and other than emission in excellent shape. It's not that we can't do it in house. I just wanted to know what I'm getting myself into.

  5. #5crane operator2025-04-20 09:04

    I've got three early 2000's link belt hydraulic truck cranes, and I get a lot of "NLA" (no longer available) when I try to get parts out of link belt. If you had the right dealer/ tech, and the right books, you should be able to get all the part #'s for the new powerplant and system. But I'm going to bet link belt won't even sell it all to you, once they figure out what you are trying to do. To be difficult, you could make the case that the whole crane must be re- enginneered with new charts, because you have changed the weight and the center of gravity slightly, by installing the new engine. Personally, I think it would all fall in the safety factor, but the right lawyer could make a run at you if there was ever a problem.