Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine Ticking Sound

Ranch Hand · 2011-08-27 07:25

I have a John Deere 160LC excavator and when I start it up there is a ticking sound that sounds like it is coming from the fan blade area. When I increase RPMs increase so does the speed of the ticking sound. After about 10 minutes the ticking sound goes away. The belt and water pump has been recently replaced because it was leaking. I’ve replace the belt tension pulley because I ended up breaking it and I have taken the alternator in to the shop and had that tested, and it tested okay. I have no clue where that noise is coming from and whether it is an indicator of a more serious problem, any ideas?

Replies8
  1. #1grandpa2011-08-27 09:05

    Take a long bar or broom stick (stethoscope) and see if you can localize the noise , a long screwdriver to the ear has found a many a noise for me.... good luck and let us know what you find

  2. #2Lee-online2011-08-27 09:24

    Exhaust leak? I have seen them leak until they warm up and seal.

  3. #3stock2011-08-27 15:53

    tappets.............. valve clearances

  4. #4MrKomatsu2011-08-27 17:51

    tappets usaully start when the oil thins out(warm engine) I would tend to look at exhaust leaks.....good luck

  5. #5stock2011-08-28 17:36

    Unless they are hydraulic tappets or standard tappets that are loose or have lost a stem cap...........

  6. #6grandpa2011-08-28 20:07

    ive heard bad injectors sound like that too.... a little more of a knock than a tick tho

  7. #7SE-Ia Cowman2011-08-29 00:57

    have a close look at the crankshaft dampener thay have caused many a problem on deers they usualy last around 7000 hours but I think the manual tells you to replace them every 5000

  8. #8alrman2011-08-29 05:34

    Remove the fanbelt & run the engine - see if noise is still there.