Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine/Transmission package for truck tractor. Which of the 2 is best

mowingman ยท 2015-03-10 20:02

I am looking at 2, truck tractors. Both are about the same condition and price. I will be doing local hauling around town, with most trips under 30 miles one way. Will pull a dump trailer, hauling demolition debris for the most part. I have driven both and both run out good. Both trucks are 1993 models. All other things being equal, which engine/trans. setup would you suggest, and why. Option #1. Mack 350E engine/ Eaton Super Ten trans. Option #2. Cummins N14, 330Hp engine/ Eaton 9 Speed trans. To me it is a toss up, but I have no experience with either setup. Welcome all comments. Thanks. I

Replies9
  1. #1Mike L2015-03-10 20:16

    option #2. n14s are good engines and are reasonable to fix and there is nothing wrong with a 9 speed. probably nothing wrong with option #1 but i'm just not a fan of the super 10.

  2. #2mowingman2015-03-10 21:44

    Do you not like the super 10,due to the way you shift it. Or, have you seen some weakness in that transmission, as far a maint. and repairs are concerned. Thanks, Jeff

  3. #3Mike L2015-03-11 07:14

    It's just a personal preference. We have one behind a 435hp n14 and it's been a good transmission, I just don't like driving it

  4. #4Shimmy12015-03-11 18:14

    N14, hands down. That 9 sp, if you want, all you need to change is the auxillary and you have a 13 sp. Mack is a good engine, that super 10 will have problems with the top cover eventually. It will get caught in between two gears.

  5. #5fsmyth2015-03-17 08:51

    N14. no question.

  6. #6DoyleX2015-03-17 20:54

    #2 and what shimmy said.

  7. #7mowingman2015-03-21 15:35

    Well,today I brought home the truck with the N14,330 Cummins, and 9spd. Eaton transmission. It is a 1993 Freightliner. Has good tires, current DOT inspection, and a wet kit. Drove it 120 miles to get it home, and it ran great. Just need to get it serviced and registered, and go make some money. The truck is just like me: Old, but with a lot of life left in it.

  8. #8Shimmy12015-03-21 21:54

    Nice looking work truck. How about a pic of the engine? That little shorty will be nice on the jobsite, too. And, hauling demo material, unless you're hauling a lot of concrete, you're going to be light most of the time. That N14 and niner are going to work well for you.

  9. #9mowingman2015-03-21 22:06

    I will get a picture of the engine one day, and post it here, when the rains let up. Need to give her a good cleaning inside and out, too. We have had rain for 17 of the last 20 days. Yes, weight will not generally be a problem. Hauling building debris, brush, and trees mostly. I have located a little Hobbs, 30', steel, end dump trailer I hope to buy on Monday. This short combination, should be perfect for tight locations and our short hauls to the dumpsites.