Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

engine turner for 1974 JD450B dozer

mbavers ยท 2015-07-11 13:37

Does anyone know where I can get an engine turner (flywheel turner) for this dozer with a JD4219DT engine? I've seen them on the internet for different engines, but my engine number was not listed. ALSO, does the turner go into the same space where the flywheel locking pin is located? I've tried my local dealer but they are very busy and don't get back to me.

Replies8
  1. #1MikePevil2015-07-27 09:33

    Are you looking for an engine stand? Do you know the weight of the engine?

  2. #2Delmer2015-07-27 11:39

    I think he means a little rod with a teeth on the end for turning the flywheel for adjusting the valves etc. Common on John Deeres. I don't know specifically that engine, but I'd guess that if it has the two holes facing forward out of the back plate of the engine then that's what they're for. Are there more than one size of John Deere engine turners? If you can reach the fan and belt, then you can usually turn the engine a tiny bit at a time with enough time for the compression to leak off between turns.

  3. #3mbavers2015-07-27 12:10

    What Delmer said.

  4. #4mbavers2015-07-27 12:23

    I might have one coming from my local dealer, but he already sent me the wrong one once.

  5. #5Metalman 552015-07-27 12:32

    Yours is better than ours!

  6. #6mbavers2015-07-27 13:41

    I am looking for a small tool that inserts into the flywheel housing and is used to rotate the flywheel, thereby turning the engine over; also called an engine barring tool.

  7. #7MikePevil2015-08-20 09:19

    Metalman 55 I can give you our supplier contact details, if you want. mbavers maybe you can send some pictures if you find it? I would like to have a better idea. Or anyone else have a picture? Cheers!

  8. #8mbavers2015-08-20 17:17

    I final located the correct tool. It is a JD281A. Dealer already sent it to me.