Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment Accidents

9420pullpan · 2005-06-04 17:26

here are some of the pics of accidents that i have found..... #1 hoe stuck #2 D11N #3 there is a D8R on top of the wheel on the excavator more equipment and equipment accidents in my photo album at http://client.webshots.com/user/xbl003x

Replies97
  1. #1dumptruck2005-06-13 19:45

    What happened to the excavator. is that ice or snow on top of dirt.? Might be a litlle cold if the heater doesnt work!

  2. #29420pullpan2005-06-13 21:25

    i believe it fell into ice then it snowed. thats one of the best ones i have ever seen....... how bout the D8 on the wheeled excavator>>>>

  3. #39420pullpan2005-06-14 17:37

    here is another view of the D8 wrapped up in that wheel excavator.........

  4. #49420pullpan2005-06-14 17:41

    just 1 question. how do you get that dozer out of there with it wedged in there. that must have been a job in itself........

  5. #5Lochoe1152007-04-12 18:20

    Wow!! That is unreal... How could it possibly make it all the way up! and how stupid would the operator of the cat have to be to come in contact!

  6. #6alco2007-04-13 03:07

    Long story short, the excavator was on the way to rescue a grader that dropped into very soft material. The operator (being a genius) took the same route as the grader and the hoe dropped in since it weighed more. The machine sunk fairly deep and they built a pad out to the machine so they had a stable base to work from for the recovery. Building the pad took several days and since it was in the winter, snow accumulated. They were able to dig the machine out without incident.......tailings sand is wonderful stuff. Brian

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2007-04-13 20:37

    Does anyone know the story behind the D-11N?

  8. #8Lashlander2007-04-14 01:05

    Looks like it butted heads with one of them there Komatsus.

  9. #9Countryboy2007-04-14 01:53

    Looks to me like another flaw in the "high track" design. :cool2

  10. #10wrenchbender2007-04-14 09:46

    Yep, not enough braces for a fall from that height. But what you can't see is the Komotsu tha broke it's fall.:naughty :eek2 :stirthepot

  11. #11Cat2007-04-14 18:04

    WOW people are dumb:Banghead

  12. #12Buckethead2007-04-15 12:52

    I don't think it's "dumb", I think it is more like one split-second of carelessness. Or taking unnecessary chances to impress people.

  13. #13alco2007-04-15 14:11

    I can't say about the dozer and bucketwheel or the crushed D11, but the buried Hitachi definitely was dumb. Brian

  14. #14equipment fan2007-04-15 14:57

    hey guys,the picture of the excavator in the water is in canada.check the boom and you will see the logo "wajax".It`s our local dealer of hitachi excavator.But sorry,i dont have more information about this accident:beatsme

  15. #15alco2007-04-16 00:38

    I can show you exactly where that picture was taken. Brian

  16. #16surfer-joe2007-04-16 00:44

    I rather thought the burial of the Hitachi was kinda neat. They dug it out huh? Too bad!

  17. #17equipment fan2007-04-16 08:20

    Ok Brian:notworthy ,Where the picture was taken,i`m curious

  18. #18alco2007-04-16 23:21

    The picture was taken on the North Toe Berm of the Mildred Lake Settling Basin at Syncrude's Base lease in Fort McMurray and the hoe belonged to North American Construction Group. If you want more specific details, it was about 100 meters from the bottom of the cell 19 ramp. Brian

  19. #19Countryboy2007-04-16 23:36

    I know exactly where your talking about......

  20. #20Lashlander2007-04-17 01:00

    Who is the North American Construction Group. I ask because I ran across one of there pieces of equipment a while back but have never heard of them.

  21. #21alco2007-04-17 01:58

    They are a large mining and civil contractor up here in the great white north. www.nacg.ca They own 2 of the 3 Hitachi EX8000 shovels they have built so far. They sold the first one, they actually owned all three at one point. They also own 2 or three EX5500s including the first one ever built. That's not to mention the hundreds of other machines they have....EX2500s, EX1800s and 1900s, EX1200s...etc, etc. Huge numbers of machines in all. Brian

  22. #22nedly052007-04-17 05:56

    That must have been some ride in the D8, like a huge ferris wheel. Can't imagine what must have gone through the operators head when it tipped over on the top. I bet he thought it was all over.

  23. #23equipment fan2007-04-17 07:40

    ok thanks Brian for the info.

  24. #24Lashlander2007-04-17 09:22

    Thanks for the reply!:usa

  25. #259420pullpan2008-03-08 17:22

    found some more good accidents/stuck pics

  26. #269420pullpan2008-03-08 17:25
  27. #279420pullpan2008-03-08 17:28
  28. #289420pullpan2008-03-08 17:32
  29. #299420pullpan2008-03-08 17:37
  30. #309420pullpan2008-03-08 17:42
  31. #31RollOver Pete2008-03-08 21:07

    That one with the drill pipe.... I think about that every time I haul a load of it. I wonder if pipe in the pic was chained down properly? I usually end up using twice the number of chains and binders that that the next guy would use.

  32. #32bobcat ron2008-03-08 21:21

    The upside down hoes make me cringe and think about the operators.

  33. #33Cat287B2008-03-09 06:23

    Sure am glad I'm a flat lander

  34. #34AtlasRob2008-03-09 09:36

    Reminders A few timely reminders amongst that lot as to just how easy it is to get it wrong. I'm sure alot of us could hypothesise as to just what went wrong and but for the grace of god goes I. At least one of those exc had been digging over his drive sprockets ! Oooops meant to go other way :Banghead. Why slew away from a water course on suspect ground without moving back first :beatsme. For new exc hands look at the boom positions, tooooo high maybe . Still I wasn't there so its only guess work :cool2 As for the dozers, I've met plenty of those operators that are so good they think they can walk on water :stirthepot.

  35. #35joedirt2008-03-09 11:21

    Thanks for posting those pics 9420. I have been printing a lot of these off for our Monday morning safety meetings. We usually have all the crews together that day and boy it sure does open a lot of eyes. :drinkup

  36. #369420pullpan2008-03-09 15:35

    i can not update my webshot account at the present time bc my laptop died but as soon as i get it running i will be sure to post more accidents for you.

  37. #37DPete2008-03-12 14:54

    I wonder about the driver with the drill stems in the front seat, not good

  38. #38buddy6052008-04-29 03:47

    here are a fiew pics I found

  39. #39buddy6052008-04-29 06:32

    More accident photos More photos I have come accross.

  40. #40bushcat2008-04-29 09:13

    Some good pics there Buddy!

  41. #41buddy6052008-04-29 12:05

    most are from the patch most of these pics are from the alberta oil patch, that is my understanding.

  42. #42ben46a2008-04-29 17:07

    Buddy, good to see another maritimer here! you out in the patch?

  43. #43buddy6052008-04-29 19:12

    only just down the road

  44. #44buddy6052008-04-29 19:19

    not in the patch any more, with an engineering company in town, had my fill of local contractors or was spoiled when I was out west.

  45. #45woodchuck22008-04-30 10:05

    Yes sir!!! Lots of soiled underwear i suspect, i know i would have crapped myself being an operator of most of those accidents. The pipe on the truck and the crushed cabs on the excavators i would say are the worst.

  46. #46ZAXIS2008-05-01 17:01

    alco, thanks for telling the story of the sunk Hitachi-That has been on my screen saver in my office for quite a while now.

  47. #47ZAXIS2008-05-01 17:24

    Here are a few I have had sitting around ZAXIS

  48. #48buddy6052008-05-01 19:25

    wow lots of money worth gone up in smoke.

  49. #49bobcat ron2008-05-01 20:58

    That TLB in the pool must be a good story!!!!!!

  50. #50bear2008-05-01 22:05

    I'm afraid to ask.

  51. #51SKP 4282008-05-04 02:35

    cool photos we had a water wagon lay over this week ..

  52. #529420pullpan2008-05-18 21:00

    i have some more good ones from http://www.vastgereden.nl/

  53. #539420pullpan2008-05-18 21:03
  54. #549420pullpan2008-05-18 21:05
  55. #559420pullpan2008-05-18 21:07
  56. #569420pullpan2008-05-18 21:12

    and a few others

  57. #579420pullpan2008-05-18 21:14
  58. #589420pullpan2008-05-18 21:17
  59. #599420pullpan2008-05-18 21:19
  60. #60mikesequip2008-05-18 22:03

    that cat is a deff. oh no. or was that an oops sorry boss

  61. #61AtlasRob2008-05-19 10:16

    free ride Wicked bunch of pics Pullpan :notworthy dont care where you jacked em from Looks to me like a ships hold is a dangerous place to be, or is it that the ops maybe get complacent :beatsme. That C@t 325 looks to me like it got free of its slings / chains and dropped a loooooooong way. Just hope the op wasn't hitchin a ride at the time :badidea

  62. #629420pullpan2008-05-19 15:56

    yea i saw most of them on that one site on most of the pics. but i had to post those ones of the 325 and that 228. i would like to know the story behind both of those accidents

  63. #63Bellboy2008-08-02 08:52

    Why are most of those pics of Cat equipment? :stirthepot

  64. #64ben46a2008-08-17 11:28

    because Cat has the largest market share, same reason you see no Bells... nobody uses them..........

  65. #65curly2008-08-17 13:15

    Anyone know about those tracked haul trucks? Never seen anything like that before.

  66. #66MKTEF2008-08-17 14:05

    They are a local speciality in Netherland. A couple of produsers down there. Spesialy made to cope with muddy terrain, they have a very low ground pressure. Where some on show at Bauma. One of the produsers didn't sell their products outside central Europe...

  67. #67Cat320operator2008-09-10 22:05

    Customer called and had a komatsu dozer stuck, It was buried to the belly pan and 85 feet down a 45% embankment, We took the Rotator and the 30 ton. Used the 30 ton as deadman and a D6 dozer 6 part line. With 5 snatch blocks with the hooks married together. We know we were well over our WLL so don’t throw us under the bus, but we got the job done. We also had our 45 ton challenger on scene and the other track hoe in the back ground but really didn’t have enough room to get them all lined up for the pull. So we decided to just try with the rotator just to put it to the test. After winching the dozer out Travis had to have a little help his self, Tator was just spinning, so we hooked a 450 John Deere dozer to the front of the Tator and we were out in no time. http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/976/20080910131929pict00091fu4.jpg http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3554/20080910131739pict00488cr7.jpg http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1595/20080910131644pict00538cz2.jpg http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6942/20080910131559pict00658ek7.jpg http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7858/20080910131512pict00728qz3.jpg http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1903/20080910131233pict01511xb1.jpg http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7958/20080910131345pict01078hx4.jpg http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/7752/20080910131423pict00758ga1.jpg

  68. #68d4c24a2008-09-11 11:36

    veiw the original copied and pasted from here ointhead atleast give them the credit http://www.towtalk.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3926

  69. #69digger242j2008-09-11 11:45

    For anybody that hasn't figured it out, "Cat320operator" is our young friend Agent. He'll probably grow up to be a phenomenal excavator some day. Clearly, even when he finds himself in a hole, he doesn't know how to stop digging...

  70. #70dirt digger2008-09-11 15:54

    thats what women tell me....i just tell them that i am a professional ditch digger because i get paid to dig holes, its just second nature to me

  71. #71atgreene2008-09-11 16:25

    "A foolish consistancy is the hobgobblin of little minds" Ralph Waldo Emerson Thanks for the heads-up on the plagiarism. Reading his post, I was lead to believe that our little buddy was the one doing the actual work in the pics, thanks for enlightening me. Cat320operator, you really need to get your act together. Passing off events and pics as your own goes to the lack of maturity and class that you represent. Bragging, lying and misconceptions get you nowhere. If you plan to make it anywhere in this world you need to do so on the acomplishments and actions that you yourself are responsible for. I would have hoped that someone had taught you better, it would appear that you have yet to learn from your own actions and whatever you have been taught has apparently been lost. I've dealt with many people like yourself in my life and learned early on to avoid them and to not share wisdom with them, as they will only use it against you. That is the extent of what I can offer for advise, do with it as you will. Good luck, your going to need it.

  72. #729420pullpan2008-09-11 22:03

    thought I would post a few more good ones that I have found

  73. #739420pullpan2008-09-11 22:13

    Rough Seas!!

  74. #749420pullpan2008-09-11 22:16
  75. #75LowBoy2008-09-12 18:13

    The drill rig picture makes me shiver...Imagine he must have bailed out well before it came to rest?:beatsme By no means would I have stuck around in there long enough to see where it would land... There surely must have been some serious SKID MARKS, and not the kind on the road either...:eek2

  76. #76dumptrucker2008-09-12 22:56

    The way my luck goes , I would have jumped to safety gone down to look over edge and probably tripped over my own two feet and down over the cliff I would go. :Banghead

  77. #77bear2008-09-13 02:50

    That looks like a road to wear a parachute when you're driving along.

  78. #78Nac2008-09-13 13:11

    Here is a pic I found online of a local accadent on rt 80 in NJ they are triming some ledge to prevent slides and had a 320 slide off about 2 weeks ago. I drove by the same day but later at night ant it was covered with a tarp but here is a pic i got online.

  79. #79rapper2008-10-04 07:18

    great pictures.the one with the D8 is tha stuck in the man takraf rb293 excavtor? would have loved to see that happen.. good break down job

  80. #80Danial Doherty2008-10-04 07:44

    This one is not half as bad as some you guys have posted. but it happended to a buddy fo mine so i thought i would throw it up!

  81. #81AtlasRob2008-10-04 17:02

    Ouch that hurts Somebody said there are 2 types of dumptruck driver, those that have tipped one over and those that are going to tip one over. :beatsme just try and tip the correct end

  82. #82ben46a2008-10-04 20:06

    Danial, Is that One of Dexters rigs?

  83. #83alco2008-10-05 02:14

    I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed that they never tore the access ladder off of the Cat on page 5 in Pullpan's post (#75). From what I've heard, they're hard enough to keep on machines that aren't thrown over a face and flipped on their side. Brian

  84. #84mouse2008-10-05 02:49

    i like the use of the ladder om the (presumably) cat dump truck standing on end. be buggered if i'd climb down the thing unless they propped the machine up with something else real big...

  85. #85Big Dazzler2008-10-14 01:53

    Damaged excavators in Ship link Hi earlier there was a link to some excavators damaged in the hold of a ship. Cant find it again, does anyone know where it is? cheers dazzler

  86. #86greatdane2008-10-14 05:35

    Some of you might think these pictures are cool. Well I can´t help thinking about the people involved, how many was killed, how many was sereously injured. These are all great pictures and I hope it will remind you how dangerous it can be oprating heawy machines. Take care out there... Gert L.

  87. #87insleyboy2008-10-14 22:03

    Greatdane, I couldn't have said it better myself. I was a lucky one that survived an excavator sliding down a concrete ramp that gave way crushing my cab. There are some pics in this thread that you know the operator could not have survived. My heart goes out to them, but these pics are a lesson as well, as I can surely attest!

  88. #88AtlasRob2008-10-18 16:43

    :thumbsup Greatdane,...........fair comment and I respect where you are comming from. I believe that most of the pictures posted are in the best intentions and are meant to highlight the dangers when it does go wrong, but some are cut and pasted without due regard ! Thank you for the reminder. :drinkup Now come on You dont really think you were going to get away with throwing that pant marking moment in to the fire and not getting asked WHERES THE PICTURES! Seriously,....... you obviously survived. Can you eleborate on what happened, apart from the pure glorification factor ! we ( or some of us at least ) might learn from the experience. And dont be embarrassed if it was a mistake YOU made, Most of us if we are truthful will have to admit that it would have been us if lady luck wasn't on ourside that day.

  89. #89hoeman6002008-10-18 19:07

    THAT JUST HAPPEND!!!!!

  90. #90hoeman6002008-10-18 19:20

    this happend when i lived in cali. the guy runnin it jumped. probally the one time it was ok not to be seat belted. notice the rebar in pict 2 it wouldhave got somewhere. he did however breake his ancle.

  91. #91Dirtman20072008-10-18 19:26

    I'm guessing that is him lying on the ground in the background of the picture? That could have been very nasty

  92. #92JDOFMEMI2008-10-18 19:36

    Hoeman Seeing that makes me have to ask What was he doing there with a roller anyway???

  93. #93hoeman6002008-10-18 20:07

    he was rolling the sidewalk subgrade above it he got to close to the side(YA THINK!! ). and the vibrator sucked him over . we JUST told him not to go near the edge but as in cali ya need to speak spanglish and his was VERY rusty:beatsme

  94. #94hoeman6002008-10-18 20:09

    YEPEROOO! or should I say ceeeeeeeee!!!:drinkup

  95. #95NDCOGroup2008-11-06 19:31

    I was doing some research and I was on the MSHA mining safety and health government site. This link takes you to pictures from all the mine related deaths in the past couple of years. http://www.msha.gov/fatals/fab.htm

  96. #96insleyboy2008-11-06 20:39

    Atlas Rob, sorry it took so long to reply, somehow I didn't get back to this post till today. I do have a couple pics from my accident, but do not have access to posting them. The accident I refered to was a bridge demolition. We were Demoing a tail span of a complete concrete structure, Deck, Beams.exc... This was the first of this type I had ever taken down. The foreman instructed me that the tail span was rebar tied into the back wall where it rested. It was not!!! The entire span went tumbling down after cracking a few beams with a demo hammer mounted on an old excavator which I was in that slid down the span as it fell. The machine came to rest flush with the column pier when everything stopped falling. I DUCKED and held the controls the whole ride down. The cab was crushed above my head, I walked thru the opening where the foot bedals were. And the rest they say...Well, I was here to live to tell I guess!

  97. #97AtlasRob2008-11-08 13:14

    Sweet Jesus and mother of ............ I was half joking when I said pant marking moment. Glad you lived to tell the tale. I bet you had a few choice words for the foreman once you'd stop shaking. On a very serious note, there must have been an enquiry into how and why as that has to be way off the top of the near miss chart, never mind the insurance claim on the machine. Are you aware of any repecussions / change of working practices / instructions as a result of an investigation that you can comment on here. I have no experience of that size of demo. :drinkup