Hey Im just curious do dealers (specifically in the northeast) do demos? Like bring a machine out to your jobsite and let you use it? Because I am in the market for a skid steer and I asked a cat rep about that and he said they dont do it anymore....is that just because its a skidsteer or do they just not do demos anymore in general?
I guess it is hard to give a new machine to let someone use. Insurance if something happens is another cost. Years ago they would do it. I would ask for a cheap days rental to see if you like it. Then again they may be desperate today.
It's been a couple of years.... but all the biggies here demo equipment.... I suppose it depends on how much you buy from a certain dealer... I've demo'd lot's of stuff that companies have brought to the jobsite... but those companies had from 50 to 200 pieces of equipment. You name it's been brought out to a jobsite... loaders.... dozer... crane...backhoes... even a directional drill, that was a dealer whining because you go to the same church but didn't buy drill from us... Case ... I didnt like it....
The Komatsu dealer I work for will demo equipment.
Small equipment? even if youre a first time buyer?
In the other post, I recommended explaining to the salesman your situation, as far as the business history goes. Generally speaking with the size of your company and the lack of a lot of equipment you might have to "win over" the salesman. I would put it to them that you are starting out, you have work, you are looking to have a relationship with the particular dealer (no not that kind of relationship:cool2) Around here with the economic situation like it is the dealerships are more open to the "little guys". I had a guy ask me about used skidsteers, I gave my Cat salesman his number and the Cat guy was all over him, called him, offered to bring out a machine. You probably will have to call the salesman, invite him out to the jobsite or shop, explain what you do and what you want to do, and tell him what you think you need. If you can't go with Cat, try somewhere else, and if it works out let the Cat guy know.
What area of NY ?
Alright thanks a lot for your advice, its really helpful. Dist, Im in rockland county
The deal i always make is a short rental, I pay. If i buy the rental and trucking come off the price. Works great for used. I negotiate machine repairs into the purchase price
Try dealing with Pine Bush Equipment, they are your local Case, Komatsu and Kubota dealer, I know Jim the owner and will introduce you two if interested.
I'll second that. Nice people in there. Only once have we ever rented a machine from them that was beat and it appears to have been phased out of the rental fleet. Guess we just timed it wrong. The next machine we used only had 50 hours on it. They don't have Case anymore though.
PBE doesnt sell case anymore?
Not at their Pine Bush location anyway. Something happened, but they wouldn't tell me what. I can't imagine it was too pretty, since they were a Case dealer for near 50 years.
what do they sell now?
hmmmm look at that, ill have to ask them
they still carry Komatsu although i don't particlarly like their backhoes a komatsu excavator is as good as any out there.
yeah i was hoping they sell cat now or something lol
for Cat you need to go to HO Penn or Foley's both good dealers
I would stay away from a rental machine unless you personally know where that machine has been. Every rental we have had was a pile of junk.
HO Penn seems like a bunch of ********* who dont care about you unless you own 40 wheel loaders, at least thats the impression I got anytime I bought anything from them for my cat motor. Do either of them do anything extra for you? Like make you feel like they need your business? When my father used to buy case stuff they would always throw in free deliveries and stuff for him.
Try Foley's in Dirty Jerz, or HO Penn in Poughkeepsie has been good to us bought a new 304cr in 2005 and a used 312b in 2000 both instances we have been happy
oh okay im thinking of HO Penn in the bronx.
I got a flyer in the mail from HO Penn today...they are offering 0% for 36 months, 1.9% for 42 months, or 2.9% for 48 months on all skid steers & minis.
how much is a brand new 272c? because Im in the market for a used 272c but Im only trying to spend 30-35k nvm just checked, 60k for the one I want, tough to decide what to do...
I deal with the H.O Penn store in Poughkeepsie and can't say anything but good about them. I only own a 248 skid steer I bought in 2000, yet whenever I walk in the place I'm treated like an old friend. Unfortunately Cat assigns sales areas to dealers and they aren't supposed to cross those lines. I don't know which dealer you'd be assigned to, probably one of H.O. Penn's locations. Try calling Poughkeepsie or Bloomingburg and see if they will work with you, if they try to refer you to the Bronx explain how you've been treated there. I'm pretty sure they will accommodate you in some way, but if not, then call Cat corporate. They are very serious when it comes to customer service.
To back up Steve's post, Cat is not the only one with strict sales areas, we run into this all of the time based on where our home office is located at. By the mailing address we are thrown into a separate sales area, but because of the location we are in and have been for the past 12 years we prefer to deal with our local dealers. Cat, Komatsu and John Deere have had to handle this problem internally and it usually involves me emailing someone at the main dealership to explain why we want to deal with a particular dealer. It is not too big of a big deal to do it, and it has actually helped our relationships with the dealer. Another thing to add, I understand how you are feeling about not being big enough to be treated right, I felt the same way in the past, but if a dealer can see beyond that and see that he can build a lasting relationship and has faith that you will continue to grow then it will benefit both of you. Another point, walk in the dealership like you own 40 wheel loaders
I have nothing but good things to say about HO Penn in Poughkipsee either. They brought me demos all the way to Danbury, CT! I can't say my latest purchase has gone as well. Looking to buy a compact tractor with loader and backhoe (Like a Kubota L series). Kubota & Deere are both advertising 0% blah blah but would not bring me a demo. The dealer for Kubota, basically said, "We're Kubota, why do you need to demo it?" Even other brands were leery of a demo. All of them would/did let me play with them on their property including digging. I did get New Holland to let me have a discounted rental, free delivery and pickup and rental applied to the purchase. As a side note, when I am thinking about buying, sometimes we will rent a machine with some hours on it. Yes they are beat and that is the point. Good to look for repairs, welds, new parts etc. See how they hold up.
Ill have to check out HO penn in poughkipsee it sounds like. Im a little far from them but its worth it.
i know my local dealer has demo machines and the brand new machines sit on the lot for show