I have ten acres that was previously a tree farm and is now 50% blighted. There’s also a bit of 50-year-old junk here and there (broken pieces of foundation, metal roofing, bricks, broke down farm equipment). The land is surprisingly uneven and also has a few holes from removed trees. I would like to pushover and stack about fifty ~12” trees, fill the holes, move the building debris to a dumpster, and smooth out the uneven land. I know a single type of machine should not be used to do everything, but I can’t justify more than that for the property. The budget is $40,000. Does a wheel loader/tool carrier make the most sense? Or best to just get a big CTL and rent all of the necessary attachments?
Personally I would look towards a track loader. Like a 953. That would prob be my first choice from your desciption.
I agree, a crawler loader seems like it would be the most ideal machine for the variety of work that you are wanting to do. There are a few listed for sale at www.daporebros.com if you wanted to check some out.
I agree with the others on a full size track loader. Buy the nicest, lowest hour, with the best undercarriage you can get for the money. While it would certainly do the job well, a 953 Cat may be a bit over kill if your only dealing with 12” trees. Something along the lines of a Deere 455G, 555G, Case 855D, Cat 939 would be plenty I’d think.
Is it uncommon for track loaders to come with grapples?
Yes, but some have a 4 in 1 bucket that can preform many of the same tasks. That being said, these are not CTLs or skid steers so you have to think in a different mindset when running them. You don’t have 100 different attachments or even the ability to readily change them, you have a tooth bucket (maybe a 4in1) and thats it. However, guys have been doing all the work you describe successfully with them for decades, just have to learn all the tricks and be a good operator.
A 953 would make it easier than a smaller machine and have better visibility. 4 in 1 buckets you have to be extremely careful working in tree's and bush. (you have to be careful in tree's with any machine) Branches/tree's are unpredictable and can rip all of your hyd. lines off. You wouldn't want rubber tracks if you went with a CTL.
If I had only one machine to earn a living with it would be a 953 track loader. OP from what you describe a 953B is in your price range and would fit the bill nicely. What type of trees? Any value in the logs?