Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment Operating School?

Grom ยท 2009-12-17 16:55

I just separated from the military, got a chance to run a front loader for a few doing snow removal, and have decided that I absolutely love running equipment and want to pursue it. I used to operate combat vehicles and also loved that. Anywho, I have a few questions. This seems to be quite a hard business to break into, at least in the eastern NY area that I have been looking into. Unfortunately, this gig is seasonal, the IUOE local here only accepts very few people, and what I've been told it's a "gotta know someone" sorta thing around here. So my question; I have my GI Bill available to me, why not use it? Are these equipment schools worth anything? Does anyone have any hiring experience, co-worker experience, or know someone who went to one of these schools with any kind of success story? BTW, I'm looking at a six month program, not the 3 weeks for 30 grand ones. Thank you in advance for any and all replies. -Matt

Replies2
  1. #1Greg2009-12-25 22:09

    :BangheadThe operator and truck driving schools around here are a joke. My advise is don't waste your time and GI Bill benefits on it. The business is hard to break into around here too. For the most part you have to know somebody or have a relative in the business.

  2. #2diggerman572010-01-02 15:38

    First off thank you for your service to our country. Have you looked into the helmets to hardhats program? You should check it out. It could help you get into your local IUOE apprenticeship program, which is an excellent way to break into and learn about the industry. Also, don't believe everything you're told. 8 Years ago I got into an IUOE apprenticeship program. I had no operating experience, and I didn't know "anyone" in the union, or the industry for that matter. I'm not saying that's the only way, just one option. You should never rule out any options until you at least check them out. Good luck hunting