I have been looking all evening for a web site, or some other sorce of information on equipment blue book rental rates, to no avail mind you. To clear it up a bit, what Im looking for is a price list as to what a contractor would charge a customer for force account work and the like. Also what you would charge to rent a machine to someone without an operator. ie: the customer pays fuel and own operator costs. I used to have that stuff, but cant seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!
http://www.rentbackhoeservices.com/rental_rates Is this what you had in mind
Machinery trader has a rental section, but you will stryggle to get the answers you need. It is a very regional thing. Here are a couple of rate sheets for local rental companies: http://www.her-llc.com/rates.php http://www.redmountain.com/rental.php And what you may be looking for: http://www.equipmentwatch.com/Navigation.do;jsessionid=730120A642EDA390883370C12CD7A26A?product=BBOL These are for bare rentals. They are Day, Week, Month format, mostly For hourly, some people use the weekly divided by 40. Monthly if it is a long term deal. You wount come out well using monthly rates for short term rentals.
Force account work. Sounds like fun. I know MDOT has a price list for equipment and trucks in our area for force account work. Maybe your states DOT would have something of this nature available?
I ended up on force acccount with cdot last year, no fun. i have the rates in the office, if you would like them let me know. all i remember is the pay rate did not come close to our rate sheet at the time.
What would "force account" be out of curriosity?
Thanks for the info guys. Jerry, that Equipment Watch website was the first one I found last night, but 950 bucks to subscribe, to rich for my blood! Turbo, I found some state to state rates like you were saying, as well as one from the Forest Service. They seem kinda vauge in the decription program, but did have some good info. Silveradoo, Force Account work typically is any work you as a contractor has to do that is above and beyond the work scope in the contract. Say adding a couple hundred feet of silt fence that wasn't in the bid. Fixing a blow out in a slope due to **** poor engineering. Anytime one of the rocket surgen engineers on the job thinks of something that would improve what you are allreday doing, stuff like that, all becomes a force account. Basicly Time and Materials. Thanks again guys, and Happy Thanksgiving!:drinkup
Never checked the cost of that one. I only threw it in as it came up while searching for one of the others. I had links to all those, but they were al lost when my old computer passed from the world. Files all saved, favorites all lost. I sent you an e-mail with some other info.
Uhhhhh, feel obligated to clean this up: Contract: Company gives a lower or Best and final offer to complete the intended work and secures the job as a a contract. Line Item: Job tasks in the contract that have a price/ quantifiable measure. IE: $/ lin ft for a certain size pipe, silt fence, or whatever. If there was an item for silt fence, for example, the extra silt fence must be erected at the contract's original line item price. Extra Work: That work that the engineer or unforeseen field circumstances dictate must be performed to give completion of the contract's intent; thus performed by the contractor and paid for as "Extra Work" Force Account: That work ordered by the owner (local D.O.T. for example) for the contractor to perform at national average hourly eqt prices because the contractor and owner could not mutually agree on a fair price for extra work that need be performed to fulfill the scope of the job. Hope this helps.
Here in MI I use "price has been determined on a force account basis, detailed records are in the file". That means the contractor has submitted an hourly rate for labor, equipment rates and material prices. I compare the equipment rates with local rates and/or national blue book rates to determine reasonableness. I verify the labor rate from certified payrolls and materials from invoice prices. I also look at their markups for overhead and profit for reasonableness. I use Force account when we can't determine a good quantity number or a tight scope of work on say a sub-grade failure or a bank failure. My inspector and the foreman agree on the hours for labor and equipment and the materials used every day. I'm usually pretty comfortable doing unusual or indeterminate repair work that way. The DOT engineers all say that we never want to do a true force account in which the contractor has to submit lots more paperwork like financial statements to prove overhead and profit etc. and provide lots of documentation for everything. Like JASONM says, only used when the owner and contractor cannot agree on a price. It tends to be an adversarial relationship at that point.
I have heard of "change orders". Is that the step before Force Account or something totally different?
"Change order" in my world (owner) is the written directive to the contractor to make a change in the work from the plans and contract documents. It might be as simple as changing a 12 inch concrete pipe to a 15 inch concrete pipe all the way to making major design changes. It could include "extra work" "line item" changes or "force account" work, any or all of the above. Any change in compensation is also spelled out. If you're a contractor, "always get it in writing" or it can come back to bite you. Having said that, I've done a lot of "change orders" with contractors on a hand shake. Haven't got burned yet:thumbsup
Ask for any renting company. Just as what i do here in Phils. there are affordable renting companies just like http://www.concretesolutions.com.ph/equipment-rentals/
hopefully this is the usual outcome of a change order. you gotta love this picture:drinkup
In china, up to the end of 2011, more than 4.5 million units of construction equipments are in possession, but only about 40%-50% of equipments sold are used to rent. Leasing consumption in developed countries like America and Japan accounts for 80% of overall market demand within the industry. The renting industry are not mature enough especially in China.