Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment suggestion?

tremor ยท 2015-03-31 19:29

I'm looking for something I can have around the property to do some minor landscaping, brush clearing, crush stone grading and driveway snow removal. Conventional wisdom tells me compact tractors, but I do like the thoughts of a skid steer or CTL. I had also asked a similar question a while back and the wisdom of the fellas on here brought a compact wheel loader to my attention, though I think that would be too much machine, and wouldn't exactly weave through the trees on the property to get to the bush. Any thoughts?

Replies17
  1. #1TrentNz2015-04-01 03:52

    Tracked skid steer sounds perfect for the job to me

  2. #2tremor2015-04-01 19:02

    I'd think I'd be happy with a tracked machine, though I'd like to roll down the road and maybe do some odd jobs for neighbors, so I dunno :S

  3. #3stumpjumper832015-04-01 20:53

    Kubota L35 to L48 backhoe. Rear hoe unit is removable, leaving a three point hitch for other attachments. They are 4x4, very maneuverable, and capable of doing what your asking. They also have the ability to use skid loader attachments. Tracked skid loaders are nice for grading and landscaping, handling brush etc... but don't road well, don't dig ditches well, and have fairly expensive under carriages.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2015-04-01 21:02

    I've got 14 acres and maintain it with my skid steer. About 3 to 4 acres is mowed, the rest wooded. I bought the machine for my business but I'm pretty much out of business at this point and use it here at the house or for an occasional local job. I harvest wood for heat, do grading and handle drainage. Plus use it for lifting any of my numerous projects around here. I'm not sure a compact tractor would have the grunt this machine does, it's close to 80hp.

  5. #5tremor2015-04-02 00:47

    Any recommendations for a Kubota tractor? I wouldn't mind the comfort of a cab, but I suppose I could do without if I had to.

  6. #6tylermckee2015-04-02 01:04

    budget?

  7. #7tremor2015-04-02 01:30

    About 60k, Canadian dollars. I actually just found a used open cab L48 at a nearby dealer for 25k equipped with a FEL and backhoe. Has 1770 hrs though...

  8. #8TrentNz2015-04-02 03:55

    1770 hours aint that much really. Closed cab w/heater and aircon sounds better than a closed cab. Especially in the snow

  9. #9stumpjumper832015-04-02 06:45

    Simms did make cab kits for the Kubota machines, but they are rather expensive for what you get and restrict visibility a lot. From what he is telling us, occasional use by homeowner, the only time a cab would be useful is in the winter when clearing the drive. Personally a snowmobile suit works just fine. 1700 hours is not too much. You what to check and see if it has the skidloader quick coupler option. And be sure that the three point hitch arms are still there. Look at the fluids, ask about maintence records, then its check the pins and bushings, and go run it for an hour or, working it rather hard to see how the motor and trans perform, if everything checks out its checkbook time.

  10. #10tremor2015-04-02 08:23

    Thanks all. I was comparing the L48 to a new L4620 with HST and full cab, and for what it's worth I may just go new. Granted the new machine is at another dealer, which is further away, but no matter what I'd still have to get my uncle to float it home for me.

  11. #11stumpjumper832015-04-02 21:24

    I personally like the older l35 & 48 for their rugged designs. But anyhow, if i'm buying a new Kubota, the dealer is bringing it to me.

  12. #12jaclo2015-04-02 23:18

    http://imgur.com/TRzcT5g

  13. #13monster762015-04-02 23:56

    my honest opinion id get the biggest machine that could do everything i need, if it were me and i can get just one machine to do everything id buy a backhoe 4wd with a tool carrier option and aux hydraulics front and rear with a set of forks grapple and tree boom and standard bucket

  14. #14tkoden2015-04-03 13:00

    If you are looking for a ranch machine, I totally agree. Get a 4x4 backhoe with a 4-in-1 bucket. You can do everything you are talking about and still road it to another job. If you want something you can to behind a 3/4 or 1 ton truck then go with a Kubota or CTL.

  15. #15tremor2015-04-03 17:04

    Can't have something too big, cause I have a lot of trees on my property to navigate around.

  16. #16TrentNz2015-04-03 22:45

    If you have 60k canadian dollars budget i personally would get a new or newish tracked bobcat with std bucket, grab bucket and backhoe attachment. Thats really all you need. You can still track It down the road or even trailer it. That way you are still Able to dig trenches etc with the backhoe attachment and do everything else as you would with a bobcat

  17. #17tylermckee2015-04-03 23:19

    I would buy a nice tracked skid steer and a trailer to move it with.