I pulled the engine to replace the engine to hydraulic pump coupler on my 299D2 XHP (S/N: DX200203), changed the coupler, got the engine back in. But now I have a couple of other issues. It powered up normally but I have a couple fault codes and one gauge isn’t working says FAULTED. The codes are 1704-5 Machine, Left Drive Pump Reverse Control Solenoid Current Below Normal and E459-2 Machine, Engine Rated Horsepower Output Changed Engine power rating mismatch. I can jump the starter and it cranks but doesn’t start. It was a long day. I will tracing wires tomorrow, but any thoughts on starting points will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
More than likely something didn't get reconnected. Hopefully nothing got pinched or pulled apart during disassembly/assembly.
Although E459-2 is the key to the engine not starting I'm going to suggest that you tackle the 1704-5 first, because if something weird went on and the engine started there might be consequences in unplanned machine movement that could result in someone getting hurt. See attached. I'm also going to send you an electrical schematic. Keep an eye on your message inbox.
E459-2 is the key one regarding the engine not starting. This information could be useful in understanding what is going on. "When the machine systems are initially powered up, the machine ECM requests the engine power rating from the Engine ECM via the CAN communication network. If the machine ECM does not receive a response, the E459-2 code will become active. In this situation, Cat ET will also not be able to connect to the engine ECM. This scenario is the most common occurrence of the E459-2" In order of priority this is how I would suggest you tackle it. In view of the fact that the engine has been removed I would suggest to check the two large connectors on the Engine eCM very carefully. Has a pin or pins got bent when reinstalling those large connectors.? Test after each step before moving forward:- 1. Engine block ground cable connections. Remove, clean, reinstall and tighten correctly. One end of the cable is hidden behind either the alternator or the high-pressure fuel pump, I forget which. 2. Battery connections including both ends of ground cable plus master disconnect switch (if equipped) same procedure as per Step 1 above. 3. Engine ECM ground connections. There are seven separate ground wires that come into connector J1 of the engine ECM.
Nige, thank you. I received the schematic. Today I will go through the troubleshooting steps you sent.
Nige, thank you! Following your procedures the gauge faulted and the E459-2 code was the connector to the ECM. After I disconnected and reconnected and wiggling it ensuring I had a good tight connection. The 1704-5 code was a plug on the hydraulic pump/motor. Everything is back to normal. I can’t believe how much you have to do to change that plastic coupler. But, thanks again.
One of the reasons I advise replacing it any time the engine or pump is removed.