Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

es anyone know how to get a broken retaining ring out of a Ford 4500 bucket cylinder?

viking1 ยท 2014-10-22 19:26

Hi folks; rebuilding leaky bucket cylinders on my Ford 4500, and on the first one the retaining ring broke before I could get it out. Here's a diagram, and the ring that's broken is #12: http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr55919ar746636 . Anyone know an easy way to extract it to get the cylinder apart? The gland nut at the end just spins & spins (i.e. not threaded). Thx a lot....

Replies9
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-10-22 20:55

    Spin the gland around until you can see the end of the broken wire retainer. Use a heavy pick to try to bend the end of the wire up into the hole while you rotate the gland. Once you get a bit of wire sticking out, grab it with pliers and pull while you continue to rotate the gland. It can be frustrating but it will come out eventually.

  2. #2Delmer2014-10-22 21:42

    If you can get the wire to rotate into view, then hitting it with a carpenters nail punch (concave head) near the end will bend the end up a little to make it easier to grab with a needle nose pliers.

  3. #3bvfdfire2014-10-22 21:46

    you should notice a bit of slant in one side of the hole or the other, when you turn the gland and find the end of the retainer ring, take a pick or small screwdriver, and pry it out as you turn it backwards with your spanner or whatever you are using. A lot of the rebuild kits will include a new lock ring, if that one is anything like the CESSNA's that I went through in the past, there will be a short tab at the very start of it that engages in the gland head that help it to engage.

  4. #4viking12014-10-22 23:21

    Hey, Thx guys; those are all real helpful suggestions. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out and repaired tomm. Both machines down right now.....

  5. #5viking12014-10-26 21:22

    Hey guys, your suggestions were spot-on and I got the cylinder apart OK (thx). Anyone offhand know the correct repair kit part# for the bucket cylinders? The Ford/new Holland site doesn't seem to list bucket cylinders for the 4500 (lots of backhoe stuff tho).....

  6. #6jimg9842014-10-26 23:22

    give these folks a call be sure to have cylinder rod size to give them, I have gotten good prices and service from them http://www.herculesus.com/home.php

  7. #7viking12014-10-29 16:51

    Thx for link; they were unable identify my seals/cylinders, and want me to send them in for reverse engineering. I'm thinking one of the old-timers here MUST know what seal kit part# I need. Here's some pics to help solve the mystery.

  8. #8viking12014-10-29 16:54

    More....

  9. #9viking12014-10-29 18:51

    "Eureka, I have found it"!! 740 Ford loader; bucket cylinders = Ford part#309959.....