we are bidding a demo job. it is a two story brick building half under ground. one side is one story, back side is two story tall. the basement is almost totally empty. the up stairs is cut in to offices. i was wondering if any one had a ton/yard per sqft estimates. also how do you guys figure block and brick swell? like sqft of standing brick is how many cubic yards/tons in the can? we might be able to fill the basement with the brick and block. so that would save on the fill. the upstairs is all wood framing with a fairly short roof, with asphalt shingles. it is around 5000 sft. any help would be helpful.
61 views and no help?
If you can, run the brick thru a crusher, landscapers like the crushed red brick. Did you do a search, I think someone posted a formula for house weight by square foot.
You will need to come up with your own formula for brick/block but I'll get ya' started. First of all take the measurement of a single block/brick volume. (HbxLbxDb=Vb) Next find the weight of the brick/block per unit (Wb) Figure how many block/bricks per SF (HbxLb)/ 1 sf =block/sf (Bsf) b=block H=height L=length D=depth W= weight Bsf=factor of how many block/brick per SF From that deduction you can figure the volume and weight of any type of face SF. Just remember to keep all your units the same (Feet, pounds, tons, inches) in your calculations or convert as you go. Some may say that a CMU has holes that should be deducted from the total volume but my philosophy is to not deduct the holes from the total volume. By not deducting the holes in the CMU, you allow for grout, mortar, etc that may be inside the wall. If your walls are concrete filled CMU, back up and start over on calculating the weights and time to demo.:cool2
i can calculate the straight volume, i was asking about swell.
Well I was just going by what you asked for, the bold emphasis added.:cool2
I just finish a house with a two car garage and a small shed today. Almost no foundation to the house, and a concrete slab for the garage and shed. It took 13 cans 20 yards per. Had three people want me to give them a price tearing down houses this afternoon. It will be interesting tomorrow trying to come up with a price for them. Waiting to hear back from the people who supplied the cans on this last job. They were happy how things went and the driver was real happy. Said usually no one helps him tarp the loads, I helped him. Figured it was the least I could do, pretty bad when a person can't help someone.
demo prices we may demo on the cheap side but i like to keep busy. we load 40 yard cans and get 8-9 ton in them. if we start sneaking in concrete in usually gets us in trouble with the weights. we did a demo over the winter and waste management was real whiney about 12 t + in thier cans. they tried to bill us for overweight but it didn't fly. we had a job that had 2" blue board underneath the concrete slab and it really made life difficult. we neded up having to send some tandem loads to the dump and it took the profit right out of the deal. the other thing is that you need the mechanic to come by once or twice a day to blow out the radiators. drywall and insulation dust is just brutal on the iron. i truly believe that demo is the hardest on the iron to the the maintenance involved. who keeps a water truck on site all the time. here we have to. the other thing is poured in place jacuzzi's. now they are a real p.i.t.a.. the amount of steel in the concrete has a big factor as well. restuarants are tough too because of all the steel and fans and b.s. inside. i usually look at what i can salvage, look at past similar jobs and the job costing and evaluate the export cost. these roll of companies up here are battling so we are paying $750.00 por a 40 yarder. down from 1100 in 2007. for us it comes out to $.... per ton to $..... per ton depending on concrete and access.
Got a call last evening customer wants a bid on tearing down an 8 lane bowling alley, with a resturant attached. I can't get inside to see anything till after the closing on Friday. It has a arched roof with metal on top and probably rolled roofing under. The side walls are block with vinyl siding covering it. The resturant is wood stick built, as is the storage area. Lot of room to work, black top one side and concrete on the other. Will be interesting to see what the trusses are made of, and how much insulation and other stuff is in the back as I have heard the storage area was packed with junk. It was probably built in the 1940's, I am going to bid the concrete removal seperate. They had a bad habit of using concrete for fill, back then making for a real thick floor and footings.
Did you get the bid done?? Did you win the job? Give us an update on the demo, and post some pictures when you do the work.
Bout how much profit did you make doing that house demo?
I made around $135.00 per hour on that house demo job so was happy. The next one won't be making that much as I am doing it for the church, at a reduced charge. Just need some drier weather, been raining for almost two weeks now. One day of drying and four of rain, still better off than the people who have been hit with all the tornados. Hope to look at the bowling alley job this weekend and come up with a price. Then it is a wait and see.
I'm new to the residential demo game and was looking for some basic help. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how many 30-40yd bins I would need for a 2500sq 1.5 story spilt. I know there is a lot of variables but the house is a basic 70 year old country home. The foundation is going to my crusher via Tri-Axles. It sounds like about 8Ton average for siding, lumber & drywall from what I've been reading.
You'll be fine averaging 8 ton a can. Some will be 4-6 and a few will be heavier but they will average out at 6-8 tons per can. For a 2500SF house the quick and dirty number is 7-8 30's. That doesn't include your hardcore or foundation/footings. If the house has any personal contents bump that number up. Clothes, mattresses, appliances, etc don't look like much but will add up in volume.
Thanks for the quick reply. I submitted my $. we will have to see. I can't wait to try out my new grapple. Digging every day gets boring. If I get the job I will take a few pix and post.
I did two houses this year one took 8 drop boxes. The second one took 11 drop boxes, it had a fire and they left the contents. That wasn't counting the basement concrete and bricks. I was the low bidder on the fire demo, and could do it sooner than the others. It took two big days with drop boxes and then almost two days hualing the concrete away, and back filling. One of my more profitable demo's, wrecked my Labor day but paid for my vacation a week latter.