Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

estimating help

NWH ยท 2008-04-21 20:40

need help estimating cost on digging apond app. 210x210 averaging 7ft deep. would use some of the dirt to build a driveway about 400 x 24 ft about 2ft high. the dirt would have to be moved about200 yards from the pond site to the driveway site. the rest will be used to build a levee around the pond.

Replies3
  1. #1Turbo218352008-04-21 21:03

    Too many variables. What are you looking at for equipment. What kind of soil is this. Too soft for scrapers? How many machines you looking to run on the job. Gotta have way more info.

  2. #2fensoncont.2008-04-30 21:01

    The pond would have appx. 11,433 CY of Excavation, the driveway requires appx. 711 CY of Embankment, which would leave us with about 10,722 CY of the Excavated material to construct the embankment around the pond. With the setup of the pond your haul doesn't sound like it's going to get over 125' one way, that's including a gradual grade moving out of the pond. Just like Turbo said, more info, what are the soils like? Is this fill going to bring the drive up to subgrade. Any compaction requirements for the embankment around the pond? Are you asking for numbers on just moving the dirt, or is there going to be drain/overflow piping, as well as a stone embankment around the pond? If the conditions are right it sounds like good work a few 613's and a D5 or so, could get away with one 613 and a D5 or 2, even a 6 depending on your able to mobilize to the project. Give us some of that information and I could give you my price on it.

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2008-05-01 10:28

    pricing As stated more info needed, one thing for me is what kind of dirt? I did a job similar to this about 6 months ago and I didnt do the numbers right. Luckily for me the owner paid the extra cost. I had 2 dump trucks on the job, moving dirt and a Cat 320 digging, Cat D5 spreading. Then the rain set in and I had to get a offroad truck. I had to move the dirt about 3 times futher than you quoted, we were filling in a low area. Im not sure how many hours it took to do the job, because of weather, we were on the job about 7 weeks. I think I allowed 20+ days to do the job, with dry weather in mind. The owner changed a bunch of stuff, is the biggest reason is paid the extra. You have come to the right place to ask these questions, give us more info and we will try to help. Have you ever done these kind of job before? Do you have the equipment, or are you going to rent it? Its not really as simple as digging a hole. I cant remember where you are located, but most areas require a permit from the Army Corp of Engineers, premit from the state, permit from the county, pumping permit, to dig a pond. Almost finished, questions to answer 1. what equipment do you have to do this job a. I guess you can dig it with any machine, but you need at least a 200 class machine, or bigger to be productive and a good operator b. Dozer required, D4 or larger c. tractor to do the final dressup d. at least 2 tandem axle dump trucks or bigger 2. what kind of soil a. if its sandy (not clay) you can get by with regular dumps, if its clay when it gets wet, you will need a off road dump ,$8000 approx month 3. Have a clause in the agreement about possible surcharge for fuel, or add enough to cover it 4. Will you have to rock the driveway? 5. Will you have to seed the area when finished? Hand seed or Hydro seed? I havent done the math, but that sounds like a lot of dirt for a levee, or its gonna be a BIG levee Good Luck:usa