Does anyone have a handle on sourcing the replacement ether canister on a factory installed push button system?This is the one with a 1" fine threaded nipple,NOT a cheaper version where you remove the push button on the can and place it against it's male counterpart.Mother Deere had one today but there's no way it should cost $46.
Napa??
Tried it online,nothing.Will try my local guy but I have a feeling it will only be priced correctly at a huge truck parts type place,just having no luck yet.
Is it possible that John Deere is using Zero Start systems ? Here is decent price on a case of canisters. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-12-21o...her_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item54105848fd&vxp=mtr
His are 21oz.,mine is only 8 oz.Don't think I have clearance under the hood unless I relocate and with different bracketry.I put the questions to him,probably doesn't want to break the case with just 1,maybe 2 that I would buy.BTW,my system is KBI or Kompac,both on the can and the solenoid/dispenser.Sorry,don't know how to post pics here.Way above my computer skills level. THANKS
I kinda wondered about those cans, looked kinda fat. Try your local International dealer. A lot of older IH S-series trucks had ether assist.
It seems KBI is located in Algonquin , Illinois. They have an on-line store. Unfortunately, Tuney the $46.00 dollar price isn't too far from what they sell them for. Take a look here. http://www.koldban.com/KBi_Online_Store_s/17.htm Need help posting pictures ? Willie has an excellent tutorial in a thread dedicated to posting photos. I can post a link to it if you would like to give it a go. I am thinking you have a lot of interesting photos we would like to see.
Thanks Tinkerer,I don't know why I didn't think of that.lol Well now,I find my EXACT 8oz.canister for $36,go to checkout,Utoh,to ship it,UPS requires $28.50 to send it because it is a Hazmat product. Soooo,this begs the question of why then can you buy a 16oz.regular spray bottle of ether for like $2 50???? Those cans dont get delivered to stores by camels.
Regarding posting pics,I have been tutored before multiple times,I just can't get it to work,either from my phone or the computer.My wife has also tried to no avail and its extremely frustrating and time consuming so I'm not going to try again.Thanks for the offer.
Maybe you could get on KBI's website and go to their contact info. They have an email address for a guy that oversees their eastern division and have posted his email address. He may be able to advise you where you can get the canisters near where you are located without going to John Deere. Do you use a Mac or a PC with a Microsoft operating system ?
How to refill a KBI ether canister for under $5 in under 5 minutes Guys, I've had the same issue. Factory JD 140 hp 4 cyl powertech with the KBI ether injection system. I've refused to purchase replacement canisters due to the cost. It been really cold here and I had time at the shop to figure this out for a cheap, easy refill using a $3 can of Walmart Starting Fluid. Today, I was able to refill the canister with a $3.00 can of ether from Walmart! Warning: this can be dangerous and/or hazardous to your health to refill the KBI canister. Proceed at your own risk. DO NOT produce any sparks, no flames, do not do this in an enclosed area. DO NOT attempt to do this indoors. Wear Safety Glasses, etc, etc. Your risk, your responsibility. I was smart enough to figure this out, dumb enough to do it and lucky enough not to explode or burn in the process. Meth heads use ether and to do it, they puncture the can to drain the contents. So, I figured that the ether vapor pressure is what produces enough pressure to spray the ether out of the can. The vapor will be at the top while the liquid ether is at the bottom. Once punctured, the ether will boil off as long as there is no way to hold that vapor pressure in the can to prevent boil off. You will need a very small hollow piece of flexible tubing about 1/8" or smaller OD. I used a foot of 0.131" OD I.V. tubing that I saved after my last trip to the hospital. (They only use this stuff for one patient and then toss it out - the I.V. tubing was perfect fitting ) This tubing must be able to fit down into the center of the canister after the valve core is removed and allow some vapor to pass by it - a tight fit won't work well. The top center valve of the KBI can uses a schrader valve core fitting - same as a regular tire valve. Get a long handled schrader fitting tool to access this valve core. Your KBI canister should be completely empty before starting the refill. Remove the center core and set it aside. You will replace it after filling the canister. While holding a full can of ether (starting fluid) upright, carefully puncture the top rim of the can just below the top spray valve area. Use a brass or other non-sparking tool that has been sharpened to a point and has a maximum diameter of 0.125". Once punctured, the overpressure will be released and the remaining ether will begin to boil. Carefully insert about 1/2"-1" of tubing into the hole of the punctured can - enlarge the hole only as much as required to fit the tubing into the can tightly. Insert the other end into the KBI canister all the way to the bottom. Now, flip the new punctured can upside down - the vapor pressure will force the ether down the tubing into the KBI canister. Once the canister is filled within an inch of the top (or the ether can is emptied), remove the tubing and replace the valve core in the KBI canister. You can now put the KBI canister back on the mount next to the engine. Allow the emptied new can to drain completely and evaporate everything off outside in a well ventilated area before putting into the trash. Warning: this can be dangerous and/or hazardous to your health to refill the KBI canister. Proceed at your own risk. DO NOT produce any sparks, no flames, do not do this in an enclosed area. DO NOT attempt to do this indoors. Wear Safety Glasses, etc, etc. Your risk, your responsibility. I was smart enough to figure this out, dumb enough to do it and lucky enough not to explode or burn in the process.
thanx for the info
Thanks tree muncher.Very McGiverish for sure.Just so you know,that canister also has carbon dioxide in it which is most likely the propellant.If you're ever slow in the woods,seems like a golden opportunity for a new financial venture.Thanks!
I do have some Mac tools but I'll have to check on if any are PC's or microsofts. Joking,but really,just am not going to try and post pics again,just too damn frustrating.I don't know why that is as I post pics from my phone to CL and FB,but can't on forums.Thanks for the offer.
Have you considered transferring the photos from your phone into your computer ? Then use the computer to post them here. Another benefit is that you then have back-up copies of those photos in the computer in case something bad happens to the phone. I do a back-up of mine at least once a month.
Yes,Tinkerer,I've considered it.Also have considered making passionate love to Sophia Vergara.Neither one will happen,but thanks for the suggested tutorial.lol
She PMed me asking for your contact info, but I had to tell her the Forum Rules prohibit that... :beatsme
You were allowed however to give her your name, address, phone number, displacement and horsepower rating, right? LOL!