Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Euclid Blade-Veyors

stretch ยท 2009-02-20 18:59

I was looking up some pics when I came across these, among a dozen others, of an Euclid-Blade-Veyor, pulled by an IH crawler, loading more Euc's on the New Jersey Turnpike in 1951. Contractor was Savin Construction Corp. of East Hartford, CT. I was wondering if anyone had more pics or info on them, as they sure look like neat machines. Are any of them still left? Source is the Time-Life files on Google Images.

Replies36
  1. #1bear2009-02-20 20:37

    That's a neat rig kind of like a scraper with an elevator to load trucks just drag and load. :drinkup

  2. #2AtlasRob2009-02-21 05:45

    I dont know about that Terex version but there are other makes about still. Cant for the life of me remember what they are called :Banghead there are quite a few pictures on here if only I could remember the name to do a search.

  3. #3stretch2009-02-21 13:33

    You might be thinking of Holland Loaders. They came about years after the B-V was discontinued in the 1950's, and are also quite a bit larger. But to clarify things, I was talking about if any Euclid loaders survived.

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-02-21 14:58

    Thanks, your correct, I just had brain fade

  5. #5td25c2009-02-21 16:20

    Look's like a hi output machine for back then and now.

  6. #695zIV2009-02-21 16:49

    That thing must have been a pretty aggressive dirt mover considering they have two machines permanently attached to it.

  7. #7stretch2009-02-21 21:52

    Actually, I think that's a separate pushdozer. From other pictures I've seen of them, there were a couple with other dozers pushing. This one looks like a Cat.

  8. #8d4c24a2009-02-22 05:50

    holland are these the ones rob :drinkup HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9AtlasRob2009-02-22 09:49

    :yup thems what I was trying to remember. First time I saw the pics I thought sod being the bloke stuck under the back end all day pushing. Took a while to work it out :bash dumbass!

  10. #10Buckethead2009-02-25 16:37

    Looks like an International TD-24 pulling.

  11. #11MillernKansas2009-02-26 20:25

    I've got three or four photos of a belt-veyor on the Ohio Turnpike construction. I'll upload them when I get off probation with the webmaster.

  12. #12MillernKansas2009-02-27 15:45

    Euclid Belt-Veyor on original Ohio Turnpike construction. Circa 1952-53 near Streetsboro, OH

  13. #1395zIV2009-02-27 16:38

    Ok, is that rear machine connected or does it just push?

  14. #14Taylortractornu2009-02-27 17:09

    That rear tractor is just a muley push tractor. They have that cup shaped push plate. I had a spec sheet on an old blade veyor that had a set of tracks under it. One benefit of an unconected tractor is that in a turn you can let off that and not push the rig over. An older friend of mine here ran both of the Holland Loaders here on the Tenn Tom waterwy. They had a flat cut and one was a verticle cutter. i think his had D9's under it. In a turn at the end of a cut was always another larger dozer with a winch. Therear unit had remote controls to the front but them working right was hit or miss. The only real trouble for one was keeping enough trucks there to offbear. An oldtimer that recently past away gotto run a Blade veyor onetime up north. The said it was amazint to watch it load. If a belly dump was delayed in getting under the chute it waould let material ride up the belt a way and clump up. Then when the clutch was dropped it really loaded the wagons in a few seconds. he said with a crew that had all worked together and knew what the other men were doing a massive amount of soil was moved in a days time.

  15. #15stretch2009-02-27 19:55

    Thanks, was wondering what IH model was pulling. Great pics MillernKS, are those D8's pulling and pushing? If you or anyone else has more pics/info please post them, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy seeing these old beasts.

  16. #16Buckethead2009-02-27 20:03

    the front tractor in the second set of pics is an Allis-Chalmers. Not sure what model. HD-19? HD-20?

  17. #17euclid2009-07-08 10:18

    Well this one might be a repeat but I would have done anything for a enclosed cab in the winter. Using so much ether to fire this rig up in the winter was a pain in the ass! Not to mention the frigid air in 5th gear hammer down! I lived in a boy's home and vocations were very important and I was actually shown in a brochure to get more donations circa 1985.

  18. #18AtlasRob2009-07-10 18:23

    A beautiful piece of childhood history / memories. Thank you for sharing. :drinkup

  19. #19cletrac2009-07-11 13:18

    I was told that there is aold Euc belt loader in Ohio. It's south of 70 off 77 some where. Havv not had time to look for it.

  20. #20euclid2009-07-20 10:51

    Yeah it is a far cry from our youth these days....reckon we all got too smart and lazy! I can say I was making $75.00 a month running equipment back then and that is no fooling either. The guys across the way from me doing the same job for a real company made like $15.00 a hour. So once I got out of the boys home I was able to make a few bucks before shipping out in the Navy!

  21. #21cat345bl2009-08-05 11:07

    Morrissey still has 4 Blade-vayors with the conveyors unattached at their yard in Philly. 2 Are Euclid green, other 2 are painted their distinctive dark green. No pics but if you look at their yard on Bing maps you can see them.

  22. #22miningtrucks2009-09-07 16:40

    this is a piece of equipment i never knew Euclid had made and when i saw this i thought it was an interesting machine and cat345bl by any chance do you have any photos of the 2 euclid green blade veyors and if not could you take some of the 2 euclid green blade veyors

  23. #23cat345bl2009-09-10 15:08

    I'll try, its in a hard spot to get good photos considering whats blocking it. Here is a link to the yard one bing maps, look at birds eye view, you can see it in the corner of the yard by the fire station. http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuOTExOStGcmFua2ZvcmQrQXZlbnVlK1BoaWxhZGVscGhpYSUyYytQQSsxOTExNCU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj01MS41MDg3NDI0NTg4MDMzJTdlLTU0Ljc1NTg1OTM3NSU3ZTI2LjE5NDg3NjY3NTc5NTIlN2UtOTUuNTM3MTA5Mzc1

  24. #241923mack2009-10-21 11:31

    They operated a Cat elevating grader at the HCEA show in Nebraska a few years ago. Yes they can move a lot of dirt fast. Have to keep a lot of haul trucks under the belt to keep up. HCEA also operated a small elevating grader at this years national show in Bowling Green Ohio. Al Smith was the designated operator. Had not seen a green elevating grader before, but there probably is a lot of old iron we have not seen.

  25. #25cat345bl2009-11-25 07:49

    I found a few pics of some BV loaders on the net. I hope to get the pis of the 4 BV loaders early next year. I also have to wait for the weeds on the fence to die. By far one of my favorite Euclid equipment.

  26. #26bigrus2009-12-26 06:32

    Seen one out here too A company I worked for back in the 80's had a 'belt veyor' they called a "Du Mor" & was towed by a D9G, the belt section was powered by a 3306 c@t (underpowered too) Used a 5' disc to cut the material & was used to construct irrigation channels. The owner reckoned it shifted dirt for about $0.10/yd3 back then I saw it recently sitting down the back of his yard (affectionately known as Jurasic Park)

  27. #27ktmsprocket2010-02-05 00:37
  28. #28bigrus2010-02-05 03:25

    P & H variety Took a few pics of what's left recently. P & H brand ?

  29. #29CuRider2010-02-09 12:25

    Birds Eye View I'm not sure if you ever got a chance to take those pictures but i was looking at the map link you posted and there is an option to look at the equipment yard from a birds eye view. You might want to check it out and see if you can see it that way. Regardless, it looks like there's a lot of nice equipment in there.

  30. #30dgr2010-03-05 21:53

    euclid when i worked in denver in 1987.for holland loader company from billings mt.mike holland told me that he worked for euclid designing the belt loader.when they gave up on them he believed in the concept.and started the holland loader company .

  31. #31old dirt2010-12-30 12:13

    My dad ran the euclid loader on the Indiana and Ohio Turnpikes and for Chapin and Chapin around the states of Indiana and Ohio. Chapin and Chapin pulled theirs with AC HD21 because of the torque converter. The tractor pushing the loader was no way connected, it was just there for more push. It was an awful dusty job. My dad had to tell the bellydump drivers every morning to be careful of the big chunks on the belt because there were no cabs and lots of times with the old clutches they would stall. If they would stall, by the time they got the belt to shut off, those chunks could kill the operator. Chapin and Chapin always kept my dad on a 40 hour guarantee. He was out of Local 18, District 2 and was a 50 year member. I believe that the operator in picture #13 from MillernKansas might be my dad (Bob Aldrich). He is passed away now but I still can remember the stories. Old Dirt; Toledo, Ohio

  32. #32CAT D7 man2011-02-04 20:00

    Here is a link to a 1950 article regarding similar machinery that you may find interesting. http://books.google.com/books?id=9S...=big mouth + popular science magazine&f=false

  33. #33stretch2013-06-18 18:08

    ^Good article. I know Union Building & Construction of NJ had one working on the CT Turnpike, L.G. Defelice & Son of North Haven, CT (yep, same guys who went under during the I-84 drainage fiasco) had one on the Mass Pike pushed and pulled by TC-12s, and Campanella & Cardi from RI had one at Limestone AFB too.

  34. #34glenlunberg2013-06-18 22:43

    Indeed! And the two machines that attached to it makes the dirt mover pretty cool.

  35. #35euclid2013-06-19 09:39

    Good read and it was interesting how much then technology was in place with all the different levers and solenoids and keeping all that stuff up and running must have been a nightmare at times. When I was running a belly dump it was already 30 years old and I was 15 and I had no clue really of what I was really doing except moving different kinds of soil and rocks out of the quarry and different areas. Looking back now I was part of history even on a micro level because now these machines can do more with less and do it better if they are running and gunning correctly.

  36. #36Wyo-Bob2013-07-18 17:19

    Euc Belly Dumps & Belt Loader Only picture I have from 1952 working on the Trenton Dam, 2 1/2 miles west of Trenton, Ne. in south west corner of Ne. on the Republican River, 1949 to 1953. Usually had a TD24 and a D8 pulling and some times 1 pushing, kicking a yard a second off the belt, see smoke from hard working Cummings. I forget the total cubic yards it loaded out, but, the dam was 8100' L, 275' wide at the base and 144' high. As the belly dump came under the loading started, operator would shift to low gear, stand up so he see the loading from rear to front, rack the throttle, (lets cat operators know he is loaded and stop), hit 2nd gear and be gone. Note the side boards, operators were told to use them, in doing so meant you could take a right hand corner at high speed, but doing much over 10 would find you on her side.