Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Euclis TSS40 and DW20 with doubles

gary in CA · 2011-02-23 19:05

I put a home movie of my brother in law operating different scrapers on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45GRECeer0

Replies35
  1. #1Dug Overburden2011-02-24 01:10

    Absolutley the best video i have seen of the old days. It shows men working & getting something acomplished with out any of the modern distractions that slow everyone down. I love that Hough D500 paydozer.

  2. #2RDG2011-02-25 06:08

    Cool vid, good to see how it done was done back then, no A/C , no seat belts, no ear muffs, no Rops, an no paper work! just blokes enjoying their job. Bring back the old days. Cheers RDG.

  3. #3gary in CA2011-02-25 18:30

    Here are some pictures of the Euclid my brother in law Murl drove.I don't have any good pictures of the DW20 with doubles.Murl thinks that is him on 392-S as it's the machine he drove The Euclid was on the California Aqueduct Project in the 60's The DW20 with the doubles was on the "Big Cut" between Crockett and Rodeo Calif.where they moved 8.5 million yards of dirt.

  4. #4Buckethead2011-02-25 20:29

    Excellent pics and video! How did he see the back cutting edge on the TTSS40?

  5. #5steam2011-02-25 21:42

    there is even a TD24 in there with all the cats.

  6. #6d9gdon2011-02-26 00:12

    Saving video to computer I'd like to save this video to my computer, not just the link from You Tube. Does anybody know how to do it?

  7. #7gary in CA2011-02-26 01:21

    D9gdon,this is what I found http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5b6Ulo8jzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20090607105002AAEBqmf When Murl put this together he had no idea what a great thing he and his wife put together.When he showed it to me I knew he had a treasure that needed to be shared.With modern technology I can.

  8. #8gary in CA2011-02-27 18:30

    Buckethead,I talked to Murl today and I asked him how he saw the back scraper when loading.He told me there was a big mirror and a series of reflecters and lights you watched.He said it was hard to explain but it really wasn't that bad once you got used to it.

  9. #9Jdigger41302011-02-28 00:44

    WOW!!!!! Thanks man. I never thought I would ever see one actually running. I cant imagine what all those Gimmies sounded like pinned at once!!! Is Murl hard of hearing now? LOL! I just bought A time magazine at an antique store from 6/24/57 about construction and the machines highlightin the "big cut" really cool stuff Gary in Ca.

  10. #10621_Rocker2011-02-28 04:55

    >Saving video to computer >I'd like to save this video to my computer, not just the link from You Tube. Does anybody know how to do it? I use a program called Free You Tube Downloader v 3.1.71.0 . You can find it on CNet.Com You tell it what video format you want it saved in (Windows Media Video) and then you copy and paste the url of the video and it is very simple from there.

  11. #11Buckethead2011-02-28 09:40

    I knew there had to be a way, their cut looked nice and smooth! Thanks.

  12. #12Randy Krieg2011-02-28 13:13

    Thanks Gary Tell Murl thanks for putting that together and thanks to you for posting it. Brought back some great memories; we use to do everything with scrapers. I spent the first years of my career on those screamin green machines! Before I started operating I use to ride on the hood of a Euclid S7 that my Dad was operating. No ear plugs No seat belts...I loved it :thumbsup Regards, Randy

  13. #13Dug Overburden2011-03-03 01:51

    The history that i know about these TTSS40's Western Contacting kept these machines after the California aqueduct job, they split the bowls and made single bowl machines. I think the last job they used them on as scrapers was the Castiac Dam in the late 60's. These tractors are model 53LDT, only 5 were produced. During the Castiac job, they were seperated from the scrapers & hooked up to rocker end dump trailers, then when that job was complete, they workied as rocker dumps on a canal job in Arizona some time in the early 70's. When that job was complete, they sat parked untill about 1987, when Chilcote Inc a contractor from El Cajon Ca purchased them & brought them to San Diego Ca. They used them briefly as rockers, then hitched them up to Athey PW660 bottom dump trailers. Sadly they scraped the trailers about 1990. The tractors lasted untill Chiclote Inc went out of business in 1996. Then a few of the tractors ended up at American Contracting in Temecula Ca. They ocasionally used them to pull bottom dumps & then parked them in thier bone yard. I saw them about 3-4 years ago for sale at Ritchie Brothers in Perris Ca. Sadly I think they ended up in Mexico & sure who ever has them has no idea of thier history.

  14. #14gary in CA2011-03-03 23:03

    Thanks Dug,I forwarded the info to Murl

  15. #15JDOFMEMI2011-03-05 02:56

    Wow, I was that close, and never knew that those tractors came from the legendary TSS-40's

  16. #16X Quad Operator2011-11-10 10:56

    Good morning Gary, you are so lucky to have your uncle Murl's video, and I would like to thank you for puting the video onto youtube so all us equiptment buffs out there can enjoy a piece of the old times, and can enjoy a piece of the old Euclid Equiptment company. The TSS40's were no dought the finest scrapers of it's time, and Caterpillar had nothing at that time that would compare to the TSS40 scraper or the TC12. It's a shame we don't have the Euclids TSS40's, the Allis-Chalmers 562's still competeing with Caterpillar today, no telling what kind of equiptment we would be able to run today. Thanks you Gary Mike Nebergall

  17. #17X Quad Operator2012-01-13 22:17

    Hi is Murl still alive and how old is he Gary. How can I get in touch with him I nead to ask him a few questions about the TSS40's I also have a frend that ran them on the Castaic job back in the 60's can you vet me Murls e-mail thanks Mike Nebergall

  18. #18gary in CA2012-01-13 22:52

    Yes,Murl is alive and well,in fact he is visiting as I write.Murl is 83.He says on the Castaic job only the tractors were there pulling Athey Wagons.I will private message his email.He now lives in Bakersfield,Ca.

  19. #19X Quad Operator2012-01-13 22:57

    Gary can you get me intouch with Murl. I still have some reletives in bakersfield and I love Fermosa Dragstrip. Mike Nebergall

  20. #20gary in CA2012-01-13 23:12

    Murls cell # 661-208-1330

  21. #21renovator2012-09-13 18:38

    I am fascinated with the TTSS-40. I bet the ground shook when those 3 big Detroits were running. Does anyone have a guess as to how the second axle on the front scraper was configured? I assume it was powered. How was the suspension set up--walking beam--independent floater? How was it powered--like a tandem truck?

  22. #22Scrub Puller2012-09-13 21:11

    Yair . . . I now have a connection where I could view that video . . . and it bloody near bought tears to my eyes. I reckon that era was as good as the dirt game ever got. I wondered for a while how they ran the string for the second scoop . . . I notice there is even a Le Torneau tagged on behind I think maybe a Wooldrige and then I saw a second PCU mounted in front of the radiators !!! American ingenuity at its absolutely finest . . . and not one of the hotshots on this board would have a clue as to how to run that gear today. How did they operate the front PCU and what were the tranny's in those TSS40's . . . any one know? Cheers.

  23. #23shopguy2012-09-15 01:50

    :iagree with you again scrub

  24. #2461BG2012-09-15 21:12

    gary in CA. This is my first post & I signed up today to let you know that your video is the best one on youtube. It is an absolute jewel. Let your brother in law know that he had great insight & vision to film those bad boys way back then. I cant tell you how many times Ive veiwed your video,it just blows me away! Also your selection of songs is also right on the money,all are great ones Ive liked over the years. You should be proud & I thank you from Canada.

  25. #25gary in CA2012-09-16 09:29

    Thanks 61BG, I appreciate your kind comments.Murl has gotten phone calls from all over the world asking questions about the scrapers and is happy so many have gotten to see it.

  26. #26Kelly2012-10-09 16:24

    Thanks again Gary, I see the boys are shooting craps at 22:16 & 17 must have been lunch time. LOL

  27. #27gary in CA2013-03-22 22:10

    Kelly,three of Murls brothers and a brother in law worked the Aqueduct job at the same time.Murl thinks it was after work fun waiting for a ride.

  28. #28bigshow2013-03-22 22:32

    I can't get the video to play, you tube says its unavailable, help please.

  29. #29bigshow2013-03-22 22:39

    Jumped the gun, it won't play on my I-pad, but will on the PC, pardon my ignorance please.

  30. #30DPete2013-03-25 09:39

    I watched it 3 times, thanks for the effort. I like the DW20's pulling an extra scraper with a cable control mounted on the grill, took some engineering to make it happen.

  31. #31euclid2013-03-25 11:58

    You know once Euclid was bought out by GM I feel it was a turning point for this great company and they never recovered. With all this global market jazz these machines now are overpriced software dependent pieces of crap! Yes ergonomics and safety are very important aspects to being able to operate a machine and not become totally fatigued. Software was supposed to enhance critical operations like the motor and transmission and other areas of health management in the machine. With the push of new machines on the part of competitive edge these companies skimp on proper regression testing with software and then once in the field they are down due to issues. The lessons learned are being accomplished in the field around the world instead of the lab with programs that would find the faults or single point failures. Yes there are many carry over programs that have maturity and they help in the process. The world wonders why construction is always over budget and it is because of all the down equipment. This isn’t the case in all aspects but in many and I ran Cat loaders for years until they became crap. I loaded with a Komatsu 380 for a while and although a bit lite compared to the Cats I ran it was hardly ever down and it was quiet and was good on fuel consumption given the work I was doing. Oh what I’d do to be able to not only kick the tires of an old 52 uke I ran in high school again. That ole 6-71 Detroit could be heard miles away.

  32. #32cat32082013-05-01 14:36

    Super! Thanks for sharing that with us...

  33. #33EquipmentLover2016-01-17 09:54

    older thread, but this is an absolutely amazing video. Brings me back to when I was younger, and the tail-end of the interstates were being completed as well as other large civil engineering projects. I grew up in Northeast Ohio my whole life, about 20 minutes from the Euclid factory in Euclid, OH and 40 minutes from the Terex plant in Hudson OH (which is now a giant "Jo Ann Fabrics" outlet, sadly). The Euclid factory was down the shoreway around E. 222nd street, a reasonable distance to the Port of Cleveland on Lake Erie. I remember seeing the ship yards with tons of pieces of Euclid Scrapers, Quarry Trucks, Dozers, etc. staged for loading, presumably destined for overseas, or west coast dam + infrastructure jobs. I was very little, but I remember distinctly, these TTSS40's or similar "double bowl" scrapers down there (maybe S-24 double bowl???) amongst those groups of equipment on multiple occasions. Glorious times those were... Like I said, the Euclid factory in particular was very close to the port, and sometimes they would "road" these trucks directly to the port for shipment, instead of breaking them down into pieces on trailers. Must remember that trucks weren't the 400 ton capacity behemoths that they are now. Once they misjudged the clearance underneath one of the bridges on I-90W along the lake, and got a haul truck (not sure what size) wedged underneath the bridge at E. 72nd street. I'd give anything to go back to those times.....

  34. #34CableDW10cat2016-04-07 04:13

    Wow. Awesome video. Those boys moved alot of dirt, smooth.

  35. #35RZucker2016-04-07 22:55

    I would have loved to run one od those twin bowl Euclids for awhile. They probably wouldn't need to pay me. Three 16v71s could make some good music.