Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Even I can change a bulb

AtlasRob · 2009-06-13 17:42

So my mate on the 953B spots that my nearside brake light is not working. Easy job, when you can find your small crosshead screwdriver. Two screws out and it all pulls out on its wires, pop the new bulb in and ..........it doesnt work ! Its a new box of ten bulbs and although this one looks fine I try another.............still dont work! Got to get back to work, so have a look after work in the evening. There is obviously a cable problem? so remove holder again and start to check cable route, everything looks perfect. The thing to remember is that the brake pedal locks down so activating the lights while working the machine. To avoid burning the lenses the lights cut out automatically after a few minutes. They reset as soon as the brake pedal is released and reapplied. Maybe a fault in this feature, it might be heat activated :beatsme. Remove offside lens assembly and swap, nearside now works but offside does not, so logic says fault is in the holder Try another bulb just to be sure........ no, still dont work. Remove holder from assembly and do what duck drivers do with a pair of pliers I have a good poke about, the pins all seem fine I'm going to break it in a minute, I cant see anything wrong. Shouldnt have put offside back together I want to try it again. Brainwave, remove sidelight holder at bottom and compare, look exactly the same. Try sidelight bulb, no good. Then remember to reset the brake pedal........ and it works must have sorted it with the pliers,.. pat on the back, try brakelight in bottom ..................doesnt work Now I am really confused. It can only be the bulbs, so I carefully check all 10 bulbs one at a time and not one works :Banghead. I have some spares in the back of the cab so put one of those in and ...YES, result. Quietly seething inside I put it all back together whilst muttering about all the things I am going to say on the phone in the morning to the parts store where I picked the bulbs up from last weekend. Remembering that when the bulbs got to the counter they were in a card tray but not in a box. I now realise they had probably already been returned by some other poor bloke, I was just glad I had tried them now and not in a month or two time. During dinner I was mulling over what had happened and what I had done when I suddenly had a thought. I went back out to my van where I had left the bulbs on the front seat for easy handling and removed one of the bulbs. When I turned it over it did have two contact points on the bottom, one for earth and one for live. My machine takes single contact bulbs, they earth through the holder :bash

Replies25
  1. #1Chris917862009-06-13 18:00

    lol oops

  2. #2willie592009-06-13 20:04

    Ahhh, that's a good one Rob. Now consider this folks; Rob is a professional at his craft. He can operate the Duck with the best of them. Digging, shaping, and forming the earth like the bucket is an extension of his hands. Examine the photo below: Now that's a professional. Probably able to do this without even giving it a thought. A plant operator that can bring out the beauty with a beast. Then he encounters a formidable challenge from the lowly light bulb. :Banghead But you didn't give up. You didn't let that stupid bulb get the best of you until you were "enLIGHTened" of the source of the lack of illumination. :lmao Very good job. :notworthy

  3. #3Squizzy246B2009-06-13 22:43

    There's no doubt about it..Rob's, your a shining example to the industry, you have enlightened me, a real bright spark! :lmao:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh

  4. #4willie592009-06-13 23:15

    That's very nice of you Squizz to compliment our brother in his hour of darkness (while he's not online to defend himself ). It would be so improper to DIMinish his radiant accomplishment under these circumstances. I was so glad to see the "light bulb" go off in his head that provided brightness to the path which led him to the source of his darkness. :bouncegri

  5. #5digger242j2009-06-14 02:03

    Now, Rob came and posted his confession here in complete sreiousness. I think you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for making light of him. :cool2

  6. #6Squizzy246B2009-06-14 02:06

    Its really a case of if you can't stick your head in the kitchen don't stand the heat on the chopping block.... ...or something...:tong ..after all....it is a "GLOB-AL" forum.... :falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh:deadhorse

  7. #7AtlasRob2009-06-14 04:00

    If you dish out the stick, you have to be prepared to take it. I thought you guys would appreciate a fellow member with egg all over his face. Must admit you guys done yourselfs proud. :notworthy

  8. #8bear2009-06-14 16:38

    :lmao :laugh ointlaugh You guys kill me. :idea

  9. #9tonka2009-06-14 17:24

    opsyour kill'n me smalls your kill'n me........:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh:duh

  10. #1095zIV2009-06-14 17:29

    You mean this one? :idea

  11. #11willie592009-06-14 17:58

    Yeah, that one. Except in this case the bulb did go off in his head, which led him to solve his delimma. I give Rob a big "atta boy" for stickin' with it...the next thing would probably been having a spanner bender take a look at it...and we know now what he would have found. Rob is a great guy, I have always loved his posts and responding with him, I would hate for him to have to shell out money to have had this thing fixed. I think he did good. :notworthy If anyone is worthy of a hard time, it's the bloke at the parts store that gave him the wrong lamps...there's your "dim bulb"! :lmao :falldownlaugh

  12. #12RTSmith2009-06-14 20:24

    And it takes a big man to laugh at himself. That is what's great about this thread. Way to go Rob!

  13. #13willie592009-06-14 21:42

    Yeah, Rob's a great fellow. He nailed me one day. A fellow made a post on a thread about a problem on a Bobcat, I think it was a fuel tank pick-up tube problem, I advised him what to do. A couple of days went by and a new thread started that a fellow was going to replace his pick-up tube, I didn't realise it was the same fellow. I asked "what makes you think your pick-up tube is bad?". Ole' Rob, sharp as a tack, remembering the events leading up to this, and he replied "It was your idea!" and linked to the post I had made a few days previous. I'm still laughing at myself over that one. He got me good. :notworthy

  14. #14landrvrnut222009-06-15 09:46

    I learned at a young age from my father, when you pull the old part out, compare it to the new one to make sure it is the same. It has saved me a lot of grief over the years. Rob, don't feel too bad, it takes a REAL man to admit when he's wrong.

  15. #15volvobl2009-06-15 15:10

    rob try this website itl make your day www.bulbnotworking.com/complaints funny how we can take time to level topsoil and have patience doing some steady digging in tight places and breaking rock with a pecker all day or placing big rocks about the place but when somthing doesnt work and we dont no what is it just peeeees you off so bad it makes you say that driving machines is to bloody hard of a job well done rob

  16. #16volvobl2009-06-15 15:13

    good bank by the way

  17. #17volvobl2009-06-15 15:21

    maybe we all should lighten up

  18. #18AtlasRob2009-06-20 10:49

    Real glad you boys managed to get a laugh out of this one. and thanks for the kind comments. Atcoequip, are we quits now Thats the real smack the face. Only two weeks ago I was giving my son some severe grief. He had run out of road and bent the lower suspension arm on his car. He collected the replacement having had the CHECK AND COMPARE lecture from dad. It was the weekend and whatever he needed he had to get by noon Saturday or forget it. We were halfway through bolting up the antiroll / torsion bar when he spotted that the end fittings were not the same :Banghead The real stupid thing is I know I looked at the bulbs when I collected them and when fitting them the brain was obviously in neutral. :beatsme

  19. #19willie592009-06-20 19:59

    Hmmm, not sure. I was sorely overtaken by an Irish Leprechaun in me on this one (plus a little help from Squizzy). Somehow, someway, someday...I have a feeling I've got it coming back to me. And when it does I hope it makes me LMAO! By the way, I still think you wrote an excellent post. :notworthy

  20. #20AtlasRob2009-06-21 15:43

    Sorry volvobl I didnt mean to ignore your post Thanks, it was a bit of a cheat really as I was filling those egg box things they pin to the batters :notworthy what county you in? :drinkup

  21. #21stock2009-06-21 16:39

    Rob I have avoided poking a stick a you as I know how easy it is to have this happen ,and believe me it has taken great restraint on my behalf as opportunities such as this are rare enough but Salève. Stock

  22. #22AtlasRob2009-06-21 16:52

    You know how it works. if you dish it out, you got to be big enough to take it. :drinkup I bet a few have read it and said "there but for the grace of God go I" :Banghead

  23. #23RocksnRoses2009-06-21 18:04

    You are right on that one, Rob. Thanks for the laugh.:drinkup Rn'R.

  24. #24stock2009-06-21 18:13

    And you can take that to the bank.

  25. #25volvobl2009-06-25 18:19

    [ [/Qwhat county you in? :drinkupUOTE] Im in the centre of powys mid wales