Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ever had a change of the feel of a dozer.

Taylortractornu ยท 2009-09-30 21:08

I have a problem with the D5B at work. I ve run this dozer since I was 14. The under carriage wore nearly out we had a complete under carriage job done by a great shop. We got new rollers, sprockets,rails, pads and had the idlers built up. They also redid the finals while it was down and they tightened the blade lever. Last year the blade and trunions were redone to. I did well with the Cat for several years I guess I wore into it or with it. While it was down Ive been running my brothers Komatsu D39PX with less than 400 hrs. When we got the D5 back I had some trouble getting used to it hoggin out some cover sand in a short cell run. All the rain the last 3 weeks we had to abandon our lower cell because the road was too mushy and saturated. I had stripped it off saturday and let it air dry and then again monday. Today we were building the road back up with red clay and I was knocking down for the scraper. I swear I couldnt hit the dang ground. Well I take that back those huge gashed in the road was where I hit the ground. After a while I let the scraper haul 6 or 7 loads then Id knock down so I could cut fairly deep. I did better but then going down hill I had heck with it wanting to run away and buck. After roughing it in a while I started at the bottom of the road and bladed up so I could use the machines weight working against me I did better. Im hoping I can get back used to it soon. I was fairly embarassed about my work today. Dad told me later it didnt feel right to him either. I think its the new rails and pads have raised it up a bit made it feel and handle different. Any of yall ever had this happen.

Replies3
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2009-09-30 21:28

    New UC is like getting a lift kit put on your dozer. It takes a bit to get used to the height difference.

  2. #2Taylortractornu2009-09-30 21:54

    Yeah I got to thinking that added a couple inches to the machine. The pads we took off would make a good set for a loader lol. And the rails were worn plum out. I did miss that cab on the Komatsu this morning when it was cold lol. But Im glad to have my Cat back. I had about 10 loads of rubbish today and had to mix them all day for a better compation. I couldnt bring myself to do that with the Komatsu. I forgot how stout that old thing was The scraper fell off in a soft spt and I was dreadin pushing it out but it just slipped it out. My truck driver at work told me that the new hight shoudnt make a difference but it sure showed me otherwise. I threatened to tilt my blade back a bit till I get some wearthen gradually pitch it forward but Ill stick it out a week or so to get used to it.

  3. #3heavylift2009-09-30 22:00

    The thing is... you had a mark picked out on the hood where the blade is on the ground, now that you installed the LIFT KIT .... you need a new mark... You may not have picked it on purpose... your brain just noticed the mark... give it a few days.... If you think that is bad try running hoes with different patterns... we had one job that the guy couldn't run anything but a deere pattern .... so they switched it, so we had a cat and deere pattern on the job......he had lots of doctor visits, so I would have to run it... It would take about 30 minutes to get the hang of hit... It would definately make you look like it was the first time on a hoe... we had a dozer ... can't remember what kind.... but it would out of the blue , drop while you were pushing dirt, or trying to grade LOL...