Starting a new paving company so start up costs are key. I bought a 2018 Leeboy 8520 and will be pulling it with a Peterbuilt roll off simply because I already own one. I would like to get started before I jump into a Dump truck. Anyone ever push a roll off to pave?
I`m really curious to know what the rolloff would do other than move the paver?
By itself, it delivers the roller and CTL in the 20 yard can and can still haul a trailer. It can then go get gravel, fill, or just get another 20 yard can. Drop the second can and take the first that is already loaded with asphalt, concrete, fill by the time it gets back to the job. Continue to rotate cans as the job is prepped. It can also pick up other cans from other jobs where contractors have had cans delivered when the driver has nothing to do, If equipment is already delivered, it can deliver 2 20 yard cans, one inside the other or a second and third on a trailer, to a job. There is also a flat bed can that the equipment can be loaded, secured, and then loaded directly on the truck for transport to other jobs. Smaller equipment delivered on the back of the rolloff. Deliver the conex box for on sight office and secured storage. There are advantages and disadvantages. Many paving companies run this way in the city as sometimes you don't have a spot to plant your trailer for the day. When I pave, i order dump trucks to deliver the asphalt to keep the hauling fleet small and manageable. It would be nice to use it to pave as well but the rails on the rolloff would stick out past the can and could cause damage to the paver. Sliding the can backwards would leave only the cable holding the can and be unnecessarily dangerous so i would either have to fabricate an extended can for this purpose, or come up with something to secure the can other than the roller lock. I was curious if anyone has ever seen anyone doing this. If so, it would make a rolloff way more versatile than a dump truck for a paving contractor. I'm trying to keep startup costs low and already own the rolloff and many cans.
Are any of those trucks in the pics yours? BTW the last truck is a roll back not a roll off truck.
Mine is is Florida. I bought the paver down there for a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought trailer there too, at auction, so I can drive it all up. I had a time finding the tag trailer with extended ramps.
A hook lift roll off could work because there are no rails past the frame of the truck, unless you have an adjustable tail cable lift you won't be able to get a good dump angle into the paver.
No. I have a No. I have a Peterbuilt with a drop axle and supper single fronts.
[QUOTE="CM1995, post: 992942, member: 1262 BTW the last truck is a roll back not a roll off truck.[/QUOTE] I'd love to have that roll-back
I'd love to have that roll-back[/QUOTE] yea thats a nice one could use that myself
I'm assuming you already have experience paving, and have an experienced crew. Paving is not like gravel. Once you go black, you never go back. Our pavers are fathers, sons, and grandsons.. Older company sold out when the owner died. They had an old quarter ton batch plant. Did mostly street patching, and small driveways. The guy that bought them out bought a new 25 ton batch, and spends money like crazy on equipment. Hell bent on putting us out of business. Problem is, he has no crew, and they make some big messes. He constantly advertises big bucks for spreader drivers, and what he really lacks is a good roller man.
Pavers here go in and out like seasonal rains, sell plants for pennies against what paid for just to get out of the business. Some moneys to be made for certain but not gonna be a millionaire in first two to three years especially with labor hard to acquire. Many larger quarries have their own asphaltic concrete plants around here, have been in business long enough all they need do is expand or uprate machinery no need for a massive initial investment as been there for decades. Then there is the Asphalt Bunker Oil, becoming harder to deal with as to EPA/OSHA Regs. As to the OP, most Rolloff trucks here the tail is too far extended off the frame, become "Leg Crushers", not human but in reference to old grain trucks that pivot forward of absolute rear thus dropping the tail of the dump box with every inch of rise at front and mashed the 'Leg Hopper' to load grain into storage, where are unsuitable to load pavers as well drag said paving drop or be pushed by a self propelled paver.
I'm safe so far. The company I'm with has been in the business since the 40s. Mind you they still have their original plant with a few mods over the years. I think they tried our roll off in front of the spreader last year. It will dump into our shuttle buggy, but not the spreader. The shuttle buggy can lower it's hopper and allow it to dump.