Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ever seen a McGiffert Loader?

Vigilant ยท 2015-06-26 20:24

This is one of the earlier versions. The later models turned 45 degrees to each side, and had mechanical landing gear, so the could straddle the tracks and run empty cars under their belly with a straw line. Same as the Lidgerwood tower skidders. It appeared that Lidgerwood actually incorporated a McGiffert loader with what I believe was the first portable steel spar, and mounted the whole contraption on train wheels.

Replies6
  1. #1Vigilant2015-06-26 20:29

    This the only surving complete Lidgerwood tower skidder left in existence. It is currently located at the Roots of Motive Power Museum at Willits, CA. It was originally placed in service at Weyco's Vail farm, long before my father came there. I have seen this awesome beast of a machine three times, all at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, before it was dismantled. First time I saw it was in about 1968, just after it was moved there and reassembled and repainted. This photo was taken at Vail, many years ago.

  2. #2Vigilant2015-06-26 20:45

    A later version of the McGiffert loader, owned by the John L. Roper Lumber Company near New Bern, NC. John Roper was a good man, and a shrewd businessman. When many people were treating the freed slaver horribly, John Roper gave 'em jobs. He built a logging empire based primarily on loyalty and motivation. I believe he also owned about three railroad short lines. He is worth researching. They renamed a town after him after he had been there for a year. Formerly Lee's Mill, NC. Now Roper, NC.

  3. #3Vigilant2015-06-26 20:50

    That same Lidgerwood skidder as shown above, shortly before I saw the old girl for the first time. At the former Camp 6 Logging Museum at Point Defiance Park. Apparently they had not yet installed the shroud around the boiler when they took this photo.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-06-26 22:10

    Love pictures of old iron, can you imagine moving some of this stuff? Hand labor, steam donkeys, steam locomotives and hand laid rail....

  5. #5Vigilant2015-06-26 23:20

    Go to Youtube and search for Jordan River Lumber. On one of the clips there is some footage of a Bagley Shovel, the predecessor of the modern day dragline. It was powered via a donkey via one or two spars, and was used for building railroad grade. Back then, as Archie Bunker used to sing, girls were girls and men were men.

  6. #6Sidney432015-06-27 00:08

    I have seen a McGiffert that sat a mile or so east of the McCloud River mill in McCloud, Ca. Unfortunately, although I rode past it a number of times never got a photo. I posted a video of some logging operations of the Long-Bell Lumber Co near Tenant, Ca a few months back. Some of that footage is of a McGiffert loading logs onto rr flats.