Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ever smash the windshield on your machine?

Gorman ยท 2012-06-02 12:00

By accident of course. I smashed the windshield on my asv sr70 and I need to fab a new one since there's no way I'm paying 700 clams for a new on at a dealer. I'm sure some of you guys have had to make your own, so I was wondering what material you used. Plexiglass? Lexcal?

Replies7
  1. #1CRAFT2012-06-02 13:13

    WOW ! ....$700 for an ASV windshield ........ I had a smaller fractured rock roll off the top of my G*dD*mn low profile bucket ... it tagged the front door and the glass exploded (that was back in '08 and i'm still finding fractured crap in the machine) ..... but from Bcat it was under $300 Txs included, and that's a curved piece of glass which is usually more expensive .... not a flat one like the ASV ?????? .... I've had glass cut at a local glass shop for my Excavator roll-up ...... it's flat safety glass and he could do it for 1/3 of what it cost from CAT ....just a thought .... check it out, like my guy. they might even have a template in stock ? .....Good-Luck

  2. #2durallymax2012-06-02 16:21

    all three of our Cats have poly windshields. Two are the older flat style B series, one is the newer C series big curved piece. They are more impact resistant but have their disadvantage too of course, they scratch easier, and the clarity degrades over time. If you werent in an environment where impact was an issue, then Glass will be the winner as it lasts longer in all of the other categories. Otherwise poly works just fine too, just needs to be replaced more often.

  3. #3Nige2012-06-02 19:04

    Is the windshield flat or curved..? If it's flat then get your local windshield company to make you a new one using laminated safety glass. Doesn't matter if it's rubber mounted or silicone-bonded in place, they should have the tools to install it. I agree with the post above about poly windshields, our Cat skid steers also have them and I'm not a fan. Curved would be a tad more difficult. ASV do a Lexan windshield for your machine. Try pricing a 2045-883, I think that's the correct Part Number. The glass windshield is a 2045-521

  4. #4Gorman2012-06-03 09:10

    The dealer near me is quite unhelpful. They wanted another 300 for the weatherproof liner on the windshield. All in all, $1000 for a new one. Good thing I saved the strips. Problem is getting the exact measurements for it. Do any of you recommend another venue for asv parts?

  5. #5Nige2012-06-03 09:30

    Sorry, no idea. I just googled and came up with an ASV Parts book on-line.

  6. #6stumpjumper832012-06-03 10:06

    go find a sheet of panneling, luwan, 1/4 plywood, something like that and get out the jig saw and sharpie, trim till it fits and have the glass shop cut to match... Or use for a plexiglass template

  7. #7Scrap2012-06-03 18:10

    700 for glass is steep...