Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ex 120-1 valve block

danc ยท 2012-01-31 17:34

Hi all, I've been doing some repairs to my ex120. I've suspected that this machine should run a bit faster that what it does at present. The solenoid bank going to engine pump cylinders (next to pilot filter) has all wiring disconnected by a previous owner ( throttle issues?) As far I can make out it seems to run auto idle, and digging modes. I've seen a few with this disconnected, must be troublesome, but does it effect hydraulic speed when dissabled, or are you stuck in slow mode? I repaired a blowing exhaust and I can hear other things a bit better now. What I'm hearing is a hissing sound (seems like the valve block) when I drop forward the go-go lever by the door It's heard easiest on light throttle, and goes away when I raise the dipper and boom together, release the levers, nosie returns. pull up the door lever, hissing stops. Are there any type of strainers within the valve block that can get clogged up?

Replies7
  1. #1cps2012-01-31 17:45

    Hi Dan, there is a little servo filter that could do with changing should be beside the main pump! The hiss you hear is the servo circulating when you drop the lever! Theres no computer in a dash 1 so there for electrics should make no difference to the pump flow! Hi have a -1 manual on cd i can copy and send to you if you would like, might come in handy! Aiden

  2. #2danc2012-01-31 18:03

    Hi Aiden, You're on the ball. Yes changed the pilot filter not that many hours ago, damn that casing was tight!!! I have manual on cd but the images are not great, it's like a bad scan. thanks for the offer buddy. I've must do some pressure checks, I bought some gauges recently so I must get hoses to mate with the pump test port, and the pilot line.

  3. #3jaytech2012-01-31 19:45

    aux valve? hey danc I had an aux valve to a thumb that was no longer there. The hoses were capped off out on the boom. The valve was connected to a rusty foot pedal and it would stay engaged. I just bypassed and capped off the valve. good luck

  4. #4danc2012-01-31 20:36

    hey jaytech, you could be onto something there. There are old breaker pipes, capped off on the boom. I'll check it out

  5. #5danc2012-02-02 15:42

    Result. Breaker Foot pedal was never used in my time, almost jammed solid, very little movement. Holding the foot pedal tilted back hard, the hissing stopped. However some fuctions got real slow, track,swing etc.. Tilting the pedal forward hissing retuned, fuctions back to 'normal' Pilot flow from door lever block goes to track pedals then tee-ed over to aux (breaker) pedal. I blocked the line to the breaker pedal and the machine is way faster. The slow track motor I've always had is now back to speed. I'm guessing that piolt pressure was leaking internally through aux valve circulating back to case drain giving the hissing sound Thanks to Jaytech for the pointers. I will verify pressures now in case a previous owner had tweeked the reliefs to compensate for pilot pressure loss. My gauges are 1/4" bsp, I need to get hoses, Does anyone know what type of thread is using on the hydraulic unions next to pilot filter I need to tee the gauge in here. The main pumps test port has an hex bung, if anyone knows the thread here please let me know If not I can take fittings to the hydraulic shop, but I'd like to phone ahead with a description.. thanks..

  6. #6cps2012-02-02 18:01

    Hi Dan, the fittings are most likely JIC from memory! Not sure of the right size but they should be jic type any way!, If you tell them the spanner size they should know the fitting!

  7. #7danc2012-02-02 18:25

    thanks Aiden I'll check it out