Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ex160lc-5 slow hydraulics and engine choking down

dirtwork96 · 2024-11-08 17:40

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me sort out this ex160lc-5 I just bought. The machine on the first job I took it to would drag the engine down while trying to dig so I knew there was a little something off with it. However I finished the job up so I could get it back to the garage. Now the movements are all weak and slow. Boom and arm. The tracks sort of start off slow then take off fast I'd you hold the travel levers down. The machine only has 3300hrs on it. That's the reason I bought it. I've already cleaned fuel system and cleaned the tank out along with the fuel screen in the lift/prime pump. Any ideas on what is causing this? Does anyone have a manual I could get for a 1998 ex160lc-5? All help or ideas would be appreciated.

Replies17
  1. #1mg23612024-11-09 06:22

    Has turbo boost pressure been checked? That would be the best way to separate an engine issue (on non-electronic engines) from a hydraulic one. I don't have specs for a Hitachi with an Isuzu engine. Maybe someone out there can help you with that. Looking at similar Isuzu engines on other products, it looks like approximately 8.5 psi at a loaded engine speed of 2150 rpm. It is performed by stalling the arm in function while in HP mnode. You may have to feather the arm in function and perform the test several times to get its highest boost pressure. make sure the engine and the hydraulics are at operating temperature before performing this test.

  2. #2dirtwork962024-11-09 07:07

    The turbo had not been checked yet but I will see what I can find out. I have noticed there seems to be no difference in performance if HP mode is turned on or off.

  3. #3dirtwork962024-11-09 13:34

    I have a little bit of an update. I spoke with the previous owner of the machine. He said that he had hitachi look at the machine. He stated that he replaced the main hydraulic pump with a new one. I guess he was trying to solve the problem before while he had it then stuck me with it. But anyway he also said that the hitachi mechanic had to replace a valve in the main control valve block. He said one of the springs had broken on it. That's as far as we've gotten so far.

  4. #4mg23612024-11-10 05:57

    Still need to make sure the engine is up to the task first. If it meets boost, then we know we would be chasing a hydraulic issue. Can the old owner supply a copy of the invoices showing the work that was performed?

  5. #5Andy K2024-11-10 11:12

    I went through the same thing on my 11700hr Ex120-3 machine. These guys are first class with all the help they give. They walked me through the process and I’ve been running the snot out of it almost daily. Have you checked the codes? These OEM sensors are stupid expensive to buy without knowing exactly what the problem is. Maybe someone is out there but I haven’t read of a successful repair using the cheap Chinese sensors.

  6. #6dirtwork962024-11-18 13:03

    Had hitachi out today to look at the machine. They checked the turbo and said it was functioning properly but said the main hydraulic pump was making some abnormal whining noises. He's thinking the machine needs a pump. I'm a little hesitant because of all the forums I've read about guys putting pumps on and it not curing the problem. He checked it for codes and said that the computer didn't have any stored codes. He also checked the pressure at the pump and the pilot pressure and said that it was producing pressures within spec. So I'm not so sure it's a pump problem? I mean the pump may let go down the road but I'm not sure this will fix my current issue.

  7. #7dirtwork962024-11-18 13:20

    What ended up curing yours? Does the -5 have a dp sensor or angle sensor on for the pump?

  8. #8Diesel Dave2024-11-18 15:04

    @dirtwork96 , does your machine have a fuel water separator filter installed ? Item # 62B in the screenshot below is a banjo bolt with an internal filter screen installed at the fuel water separator filter as well. .

  9. #9dirtwork962024-11-18 17:41

    Yes sir it has the water separator. I took the banjo bolt out of the inlet side of the water separator and it looks like someone has removed the screen in the bolt. Because I know there was one supposed to be there but there wasn't. I did clean the one on the bottom of the lift/prime pump

  10. #10dirtwork962024-12-22 18:07

    Hello @Diesel Dave and @mg2361 have an update. I took the main hydraulic pump to a shop to have a it rebuilt and they disassembled it and flowed it/set it back up. So I reinstalled the pump, ran it today and sadly it didn't fix my issue. The machine is still bogging down when trying to dig. I did check the inline fuel filter and it had trash in it again. When I had the tank off cleaning it I noticed it was rusty. I'm thinking of getting a long fuel line and running the machine off of fuel jug to see if the bogging persists thinking the issue may still be in the fuel. However it's not likely since the banjo screens are clean. I'm leaning towards something in the control valve? Maybe debris or something in the main relief valve? I had already replaced the pressure sensors on the pump and the hitachi mechanic said that they were reading properly on his computer when he hooked up. Any other ideas on what I could check? The turbo seems to be in great shape its tight and spins freely. I've changed all the hydraulic filters and air filters as well as new fluid.

  11. #11dirtwork962024-12-22 18:12

    Im going to see if a good local mechanic will come out and take a look at it. I'm going to have him test the boost pressures while he is there

  12. #12mg23612024-12-23 05:32

    I think this issue needs to be resolved first. Has anyone checked fuel pressure on this machine while it is bogging down?

  13. #13Andy K2024-12-23 20:36

    I don’t know why I wasn’t notified last month with your question. I had a DP sensor issue, fuel issue and an electrical issue. Hydraulic oil overheating, engine stalling and low power. Installed DP sensor orings, that fixed the overheat issue but low power and stalling. Replaced the DP sensor with a hitachi part, ran great for an hour…. then low power and stalling again. Pulled the banjo screen and it was packed full. Cleaned tank, screens and fuel filters. Ran great for a few more hours then lost power again and stalled but ok at idle. Checked the filters and everything was clean. The PO had a couple loose nuts on the battery terminals that arced through. Installed new cables and been kicking ass for 50 hrs. My fuel tank was filled with debris. I went full hillbilly and strapped it to a tractor tire with some pea stone and let it turn. Clean as a whistle after a few hours. Took a bit to get all the stone out but a flashlight and survey stick got it done. The one thing I noticed when the DP sensor went bad….the pump clicking sound stopped. Long story but hopefully it helps. Andy

  14. #14dirtwork962024-12-29 17:06

    No the fuel pressure has not been checked. I'm going to have the mechanic check the fuel pressure and the boost pressure when I get him back over. With the holidays hes took time off. I am leaning toward a fuel problem with my machine though. I ran the machine the other day out of a fuel can instead of a tank and it did great at half throttle. No bogging. So I agree it very likely could still be dirty fuel and possibly not getting enough fuel pressure. I will check on these and report back.

  15. #15TVA2024-12-29 17:35

    It’s amazing how many people have been wasting boat load of money and time, following the advice of the dimwitted dealers and “gurus” for many decades with this “age old” question!!! With things like these there one rule that is “set in stone”: if you not sure 1000 percent that your engine is performing like it should - don’t even think to look at the hydraulics!!! Unless you are masochist and have too much money and time!!! You can check oil level in the pumps drive while you at it also. If it’s over full, and getting hot - you might have problems with seals.

  16. #16dirtwork962024-12-29 17:54

    Andy K, on the ex -5 machines like we have where is the dp sensor located? I wasn't aware that the ex160-5 had one? On your machine was it on top of the control valve block?

  17. #17STOCKCAR2025-01-19 15:56

    sound like the 2 solenoids on top of pump, they regulate swash plate.you can test them on the pump with machine off .you need an ohm meter that should be 16.2 ohms, also possible faulty angle sensor on rh side of pump those are most common problems with you had system, you can also try disconnect both sensors and start unit the pump will be at max swash plate angle 1 bad sensor will screw up swish angle they run the servo at back of pump.