Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EX200 playing in the snow

Dwan Hall ยท 2007-02-27 01:34

Here is a snow pile at the airport which got to high for the FAA so it had to be taken down. So why not put the EX200 to work. Job took 3 days to cut the pile down to 1/2 its hight. You can see the 36' push box and a 26' push box in the for ground both are used with a 980G. I love to play in the snow.

Replies32
  1. #1Countryboy2007-02-27 01:40

    That pile is almost as high as the mountain behind it. I don't even want to imagine using a bucket that wide on a loader. I guess it would be alright for a long straight push on the runway though. Great pic Dwan. :thumbsup

  2. #2Lashlander2007-02-27 02:10

    Good Pic!

  3. #3Ford LT-90002007-02-27 02:19

    I never seen a pile of snow that tall How did they get the snow mounded up that high ?

  4. #4mflah872007-02-27 06:32

    probably a dozer? One of my friends used his 320 to pull back his snow dump.

  5. #5biggixxerjim2007-02-27 07:31

    Im supprised you didnt sink down too far!!!!

  6. #6HeyUvaVT2007-02-27 08:02

    WOW that is crazy...i wont lie tho..i would be a bit nervous up on a pile of snow that size with an excavator..it is amazing how compacted it must be for you not to sink into it!

  7. #7Tigerotor77W2007-02-27 08:18

    Wow! The piles of snow that we had were around ten feet high... that pile just puts ours to shame.

  8. #8Cat4202007-02-27 10:42

    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/foody580/album/576460762391369786 Check out these from Oswego NY . I like snow, but they can keep that much to themselves.

  9. #9murray832007-02-27 11:36

    Those pics from Yahoo are not from New York state but from Newfoundland & Labador Canada those pics have been around for years.

  10. #10Blademan2007-02-27 11:45

    Funny , I was thinking the same thing . I've seen those photos so many times now I really can't remember where they came from , but they've been around a long time . Dwan Hall , I hear ya on the love of snow . It's one of my favorite materials to play with too . Did you have to load it out , or just pull it down and widen the pile ? Cheers , and thanks for the photo .

  11. #11Cat4202007-02-27 11:57

    Well you learn something new every day. Parts of NY had gotten 110 inches, so they looked right. All I know is that you couldn't catch me driving on the road in between that much snow.

  12. #12Blademan2007-02-27 12:17

    As weird as it seems ,you get used to it . It's kind of like driving on a horizontal luge track . I've lived in a area that had received huge amounts before I arrived , and I remember pulling into town and the snow was piled up to about 4-5 feet below the top of the light standards . I felt like a mouse in a maze , lol .

  13. #13Dwan Hall2007-02-27 13:01

    The snow gets pushed into the area, then graded into a burm around the pile, then blowen to the top of the pile. Acording to the FAA nothing but the tower can be over 35' tall within 1/4 mile of the airport so the snow had to be cut down. After the snow had been blowen into the pile and refroze it is hard enough to walk on with out sinking more then an inch or so. The scarey part is if you get the tracks sidways on an icy slope it is like putting the excavator on 100 ice skates, LOOKOUT BELOW. it will slide and there is nothing like the hopless feeling of sliding down a hill with a 30.000 maching and nothing much you can do but try to dig in with the bucket. Part of that snow is the 131" of snow that fell last year (2006) and the rest fell in Jan. and Feb. this year. November been the most snow fall @ 64.2" in less then a week. We dont uasualy get this much snow all at once and don't even come close to Valdez. a few years back you had to climb (up) off the roof of a 2 story build to get out of the snow. Here is my toy for the day. 906 with a 9' blade. the sun is out and I may have to run the airconditioner.

  14. #14jmac2007-02-27 17:01

    Dawn, been looking for a loader in the 928 size for a large lot that I will have next year. Much difference in the 928 to 906 size. First loader that I will buy so have no info. Want to use for snow and still be large enough for summer use.

  15. #15Dwan Hall2007-02-27 17:24

    The perfict size loader for my use would be the IT924, But the 928/930 is a good size just a little bigger then I need. The 906/908 in there mini size and because it is so nerrow it feels real tipy and the buckets are to small for snow work. The only reason I am running this one is because it was the only one avalable at the begining of the season. The 914 may also be worth looking at as it is a little smaller but also works in tighter areas then the full frame ones. I have been watching a lot of different ones on e-bay anf you could pick up a good unit for under $100K with few hours. or you could go with a DOOSAN Maxi 200 new for just under 100K but after running one I think they have to much light plastic in them to sute me. Volvo sure makes a nice machine and surly worth looking at also. Volvo would be my first choice. L70 would be a good size for my use. Pricing is a little over $130,000 for a low (less then 100 Hr.) hour Cat IT24 here in Juneau. This is for a machine that only I would be running as I would not spend that much for one and just let anyone run it. A/C heated seat, cd player, road control, joy stick stearing, 3rd valve, snow bucket, (4.5 yd) 10' blade, and quick connect fittings. There are so many options and brands to choose from I think in the end it will be the best machine for what I have to spend that will determand what I get. after reading that you would be using it on a large lot I would say the 928 for sure, nothing smaller then the 924.

  16. #16murray832007-02-27 18:09

    Volvo makes a nice loader,I know a guy here that uses a L60E for a lot and likes the machine so far no complaints.

  17. #17mflah872007-02-27 19:28

    volvo loaders are the cadilaacs of loaders. Heated seats, cd player all that jazz its like plowing in a cadilaac deville.

  18. #189420pullpan2007-02-27 19:39

    here ya go, this is what ya do if your real good and you dont like using a shovel enjoy

  19. #19Dozerboy2007-02-28 00:20

    A 36' push box wow and I though the D9L with a slope board on each side that I use to run was wide.

  20. #20jmac2007-02-28 11:41

    Dawn thanks for the advise, thats what I was thinking 928/924 size for snow and dirt. I will not be buying new either so what I have to spend at the time will be the issue. I have a skid steer but this year didn't use it at all because my truck is much warmer and the blade is 10'2" so that worked fine for me. The skid is small when it came to loading trucks in the winter and summer so a bigger loader would be nice. Used a friends 928 last week and it worked out great, had 10k hours on it and he paid 60k for it. For just snow removal I can't justify, but for plowing and removal and summer work I think I could. How big of a pusher can you put on a 928?

  21. #21Dwan Hall2007-02-28 12:22

    Not sure what your snow is like but here ours varrys so much what works 1 day will not the next. You also have to take into account weather you will be using the pusher at only 1 site or be transoprting it between sites. If you will be transporting it around and it is over 8.5' wide expect to get stoped for a wide load now and then or you could move it around on a trailer and nothave to worry. I think the loader will handle anything up to 16' with out much trouble. In light dry powder it will handle 24' and wet snow a 10' pusher on a long run could bog down the 928 or you could loose traction. Then you have to look at chains, plus I would have the tires siped for the times you run with no chains. With siped tires you will find you can use the machine 90% of the time without chains. You have to look at the overall picture before you buy one. I forgot to add "forks" as a needed option.

  22. #22dayexco2007-02-28 15:02

    here's the 13 1/2' pusher we have on our 544g, you get a 8-10" wet heavy snow, it's a handful for the loader http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/dayexco/work pics/?action=view&current=plow1.jpg

  23. #23jmac2007-02-28 17:55

    Dayexco, how big is the 544? same as a 928? Spoke to a friend of mine that could get involed in the plowing next year with me and he thinks a bigger loader would be good with 18' pusher. He has 6 yard New holland loaders that he would rent to me for the winter or provide a driver and we come up with some way of splitting the contract. What I am looking at is a Home Depot, grocery store, and large plant all on the same street and was done by the same guy this year.

  24. #24mflah872007-02-28 18:48

    I think the Home Depot contracts are seasonal, My friend does the one in my town and gets very good money for it.

  25. #25iceberg2102007-02-28 20:32

    Boy some guys have the most fun (I'd love to have to pull apart a pile like that)

  26. #26dayexco2007-02-28 20:36

    544g is rated at 2.5-2.75 yds.

  27. #27Dwan Hall2007-02-28 21:07

    would you like a lifetimes work? This was taken today durning lunch with my wife. "Mendenhall Glacier" from N. Douglas. My home is in the trees just in front of that slow moving chunk of ice.

  28. #28jmac2007-02-28 21:24

    Dwan, you do live in an amazing place!!:notworthy

  29. #29Lashlander2007-02-28 21:28

    Nice photo, looks like the jet got in and out.:thumbsup

  30. #30Countryboy2007-02-28 21:36

    Aw man, great photo Dwan.

  31. #31Dwan Hall2007-02-28 21:45

    When the sun shines they make it.

  32. #32iceberg2102007-03-02 01:35

    Sounds like a great lifetime job digging with an excavator, might get a bit old after a while but sure why not. And when your not working you can be fishing. Crap anymore thinking and I'll be moving to Alaska soon lol. Oh well great place you got there you sure live in some beautiful territory.