I own an Hitatchi EX60. If I work the machine for half an hour it starts to overheat. I replaced the thermostat, disassembled the water pump(it was alright), cleaned the rad, flushed the rad but it's still doing it. Any idea??? Thanks in advance
Even though you flushed it, are you certain the radiator doesn't have clogged core tubes?
I had this problem twice. The second time it was because of the screen in front of the rad was clogged up with debris, not much, but once I blew it clean with compressed air the problem stopped. You have to remove the large side cover to get at it. The 1st time it was a clogged fuel line, this also caused a lack of power in the unit. Is the unit suffering from lack of power or stalling when you load the hydraulics?
I have the same problem with my 2004 Hitachi 160LC. We replaced the thermostat 3 times thinking we had a bad batch of thermostats... we replaced the water pump flushed the rad. changed all the fluids and its still running hot after about a hour of work. Ive tried even removing all the pannels and runing the machine... nothing works... Hitachi told me the foam around the rad needed replacement... So we replaced it, But that didnt solve the problem. Ive taken a heat gun to the rad inlets and outlets. when hot it runs about 200 degrees... Also Ive checked the temp of the oil on the oil filter it runs about 205.. Is this normal?? it seems kinda hot. The strange thing is we used the machine on a sand stockpile for 20 hours straight pailing and never had and issues. prior to the long shift it ran hot. after the shift it ran hot.. but during it ran perfect. It doesnt burn any oil.. coolant levels remain normal. 5000 hrs on the machine. any comments would be greatly appreciated.. we have the machine parked until we can find a solution.
peterd and BHuser, you both mentioned you flushed the radiator. Would that be you flushed the cooling system? Or, did you actually remove the radiator and have a radiator shop clean the core? I can't stress enough that a clean radiator core is crucial for proper cooling system perfomance. I'd wager near all manufacturers design their systems to have sufficient cooling capacities for expected work of the machine, maybe a little more than expected. But not much more, the cost wouldn't be justified. They're not going to design a cooling system that will cool five times more than is required. So the point is, if your radiator core tubes are just the least bit clogged with something like calcium, you have seriously reduced your cooling capacity because of restricted tubes. Just a thought.
i will try this tomorrow as I was about to order a new radiator at $2100. Worth a shot Ill let you know how it turns out
Yup, worth a shot for sure. If you have access to a good radiator shop, they will find out if the core tubes are clogged, and if the core is in a shape to work with. If the core is in poor condition and needs replacement, they should be able to quote you a new core, sometimes it's cheaper than a new radiator.
get a price to get it recored. had overheating problems on my 555g. Got the rad recored and new thermostates. no problems since.
I took the rad out and discoverred it was clogged with Mud.. Im now back to work. I feel like a idiot since i changed the water pump and thermostats so many times. oh well now i have a spare I guess....