Hi, Do the planetry gears in the slew gearbox on the said need timing when re-assembling? If so, what is the method? When I took apart I didn't see any obvious markings. HaS anyone got any documentation on this job? Many thanks,
I suspect that you are getting tooooo complicated. I have never seen inside said box or similar but cant imagine why it would need a specific timing position. Hyd oil, driving cogs that mesh together to drive other cogs, :beatsme :drinkup
I think you are correct in what you are saying. Wouldn't have given it a second thought until I looked at the reduction hub on my tractor. No dots or lines so I guess no timing required.
Here is a question! How do you lube the swing gear? I have 3 grease points on the ouside of the slew ring which I guess goes directly into the bearings BUT what lubes the internal gear? In the service section of the manual it states slew ring 3 points & slew ring gear 1 point? Anyone know where the extra grease point is on the EX60URG? Cheers.
Don't know about the EX60. Most excavators have a small cover plate, usually located between the center rotary joint and the boom lift cylinder. You remove the cover plate to access the internal ring gear on the slew ring. Apply some grease to several points on the gear. Not sure about your machine though.
Have you ever heard of the slew ring gear & pinion gear being submerged in lubricant? I am wondering if this chamber should be filled with oil? Its hard to find out without the correct service manual. Any other EX60URG owners know about this.
The slew ring gear, aka turntable bearing, needs to be filled with grease through the grease zerks. There is also a grease bath that lubricates the swing gearbox pinion as it turns on the teeth of the turntable bearing. Follow ATCOEQUIP's advice on filling the grease bath. Aside from that the slew gearbox requires 80-90W gear oil. The gears are not timed in the swing gearbox. That is only applicable for the final drive gearbox.
Please see attached picture. On the drawing you notice a tap & plug at the bottom of the reduction unit (31 & 32). This is used for draining the unit. On my machine I have a hose instead which goes to the Hydraulic return manifold. I see no point where hydraulic oil comes in so why does it have a return back to tank. I am concerned that after I rebuild I put 90 gear oil in & it goes back to tank. Should I plug the hose & replace with a tap & plug on the reduction unit?
Is item 31 still present? If so, remove the hose and leave the valve shut. There is no return to tank for the swing gearbox. There is nothing that pressurizes the gearbox and therefor no need for a case drain or tank return. When the shaft seal on the motor fails it fills the gearbox with hydraulic oil and then blows the gearbox shaft seal, item 53. Of course this isn't what always happens, but that is the purpose of the design.
Hi, 31 is not present. I can take the bend out & fit one though. I am in the process of replacing the seal, bearings, o-ring, seal collar ect, ect. I will fill with 90w & plug the bottom. Many thanks for your help. Lee.
I have just gone & had another look at the pipework. I'm not convinced. The service label in the cab says 2.3Ltrs of 90W for slew motor. But the pipe on the bottom looks like it was there from the factory. There is a dip stick & fill plug too. It really doesn't make sense but like I say, it looks like its supposed to be this way. If the fitting on the return manifold was not original I would say close it off. But its got the factory paint on like the rest of the pipework! Any ideas???
I say close it off. Gear oil is meant to stay in a gearbox. Never seen any gear oil return line before..the parts diagram from the parts book shows you what it was intended to look like when it was manfactured. Check the hydraulic line section of the parts book and see if it shows a line coming off of the gearbox.
I agree with finaldrive, I've never seen a pipe go from the bottom of the swing gear box to the hyd return manifold. Also, if you think about it, a pipe connecting them would provide an interaction of gear oil and hyd oil, what logic can explain that! Remove the pipe to manifold, install a drain pipe on the swing gearbox, fill with gear oil. You have a dipstick and a fill pipe, remove the dipstick while filling to provide venting. Even then, it will fill slowly through that small pipe. If I were you, I'd fill it near the proper level as your putting the assembly back together before you drop the swing motor on it. That will save you some time as opposed to filling through that little pipe.
This was another old auction machine trick. Guys would run a hose from the gearbox drain valve to the hydraulic tank when they blew a motor shaft seal. The dip stick usually has just enough of a seal to keep from blowing it off, so the oil would return to the tank via the hose. Your valve should be shut off and caped always no matter what, unless you are changing your gearbox oil of course. However this nows brings some concern, you are going to need to pay very close attention to your gearbox. I am willing to take a guess and say your motor may be leaking into the gearbox. Thus overfilling the gearbox and leaking out the dipstick port. Happens usually when the motor begins to fail, rarely do these seals just fail. So after you are absolutely positive you have the gearbox oil level perfect, then run it for an hour and check the level again. See if it rises or sometimes it will leak into the swing bearing/swing frame area via the gearbox shaft seal. You are probably not seeing factory paint at this point in this machines history, probably a good aftermarket paint job. Good Luck
Thanks for everyones input . Just to clear a few things up. My machine is a EX60 URG (Jap import). The drawing is off a EX60. Not everthing in my manual is the same. I have a Izusi engine, the manual shows Nissan. But it was all I was able to find so I bought it. Its close but not exact! My slew motor does not leak (I hope!). It has a drain line which returns any leaked fluid back to tank. I originally checked the dip stick on the rotate unit & it showed no oil. Then I put in oil through the fill plug & I kept filling & filling & filling but nothing was showing on the dip stick. I bet I put 10Ltrs in! I now know that it only takes 2.3Ltrs LOL. So therefore the oil went into the slew ring chamber. This was apparent because when I next worked the machine the oil started leaking from the outer slew ring seal. After stripping the unit I confirmed the large seal on the rotate unit was badly damaged & the oil had zero chance of staying in the unit. Also the retaining ring from under the seal was missing. Any suggestions? Lee.
The conclusion :usa OK. Finally got the slew motor back in. Fitted tap & plug in place of the hose fitting. Now running 90w gear oil inside. Everything seems to be running fine. Replaced the seal, bearings, seal sleeve & retaining ring. NOT the easiest of jobs as everything is heavy & you are working in a confined area. Many, many thanks for everyones help & suggestions. Lee.
No,..... thank you. :notworthy personally I have learned a lot from your experience. Really glad you have it up and running and again thank you for the updates to your progress. :drinkup