Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavation question

ottawamerc ยท 2009-11-21 08:29

Hello guys I have a question about a pond that I made, this is probably not the right place to ask it but I'm sure one of you will know the answer? Over the lasr year I have digging out my pond it is probably around 3/4 of an acre in size. The soil is all clay some rock around 1-2' in size. I dug it down till I hit larger stones that I could not remove with my 580SE so the base is from 6'- 10' down. Now this week the water has cleared up alot and I noticed that where it was 6' deep it is now only about 2' deep? I used a pole and shoved it into the bottom and I still can feel the bottom at the 6' depth but the clay is risen the 4'. Is it possible that the clay is boyant and is rising up? There has been very little settling of the soil around the shoreline so it hasn't come from there. I'm hoping that my pond project is not turning into my quick sand project!:beatsme

Replies8
  1. #1davidd2009-11-21 16:21

    Just a guess mind you. The clay has turned to a mushy soup and has settled in from the sides. The sides have not caved in yet. I would be cautious about using a backhoe or tractor close to the edge.

  2. #2Phil2009-11-21 18:08

    Another guess, if you have dug this pond with water in it, the ooze you have created by digging into the sides, has flowed back into the deep areas. Phil

  3. #3ottawamerc2009-11-21 20:59

    Yes there was water in it while I was digging, that was totally unavoidable as this is a very wet area but should I see settling sediment to 3-4' deep?

  4. #4Phil2009-11-22 07:17

    Maybe a lot of spring run-off carrying silt? I've never heard of this before, so for this reason I'm out . Phil

  5. #5dwater2009-11-22 07:37

    Hey guys I am brand new at this and i am wanting to post a new thread and don't know how. can you help me

  6. #6Bartlanz2009-11-22 08:01

    Go back to the main forum (where you found this post) and read the thread Announcement: New Members: Posting Troubles . That should put you on the rite track for new posts.

  7. #7ottawamerc2009-11-22 09:47

    See thats the funny thing, there has been very little change on the banks?

  8. #8excav8r2010-01-21 13:02

    hey where in kemptville are ya i'm on rock rd in oxford mills