I was thinking of making a dumping trailer for my 3 ton excavator. But thought i would see if anyone has any experience using one and if they thought it was worth it? I'm always tracking tons of rocks or dirt on my property and on jobs and don't have a skid steer or truck, and the dumpers that have a decent capacity seem very expensive. What do you guys think? I was thinking of making something like in this clip but with about 2-3 ton capacity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoKLooFi6Ao It would probably only cost me about $500-750 in material and parts and should only take a week or so to make it and get it to work as i have a metal fabrication business.
I have steel square side trailer non dumping that I use .It's a little to long to reach all the way to the back so I have to pick the tongue up to dump it don't use a locking hitch just a a rod about 6"tall sticking up on top of the blade so it's easy to hook/unhook with machine.You need to built it so you can also scoop out of it also that way you can load it at stock pile and then scoop out material to spread out of trailer like in flower beds or ditches.
That's a good idea about designing it so i'm able to unload material from it, i didn't even think about that. There is one down side to having a trailer as apposed to spending the money on a dumper, its that if i had a big job i could have a guy working for me on the dumper making money off it. But definitely would be great for my property when i'm by myself.
Yair . . . Many years ago when the loader attachments first came out for farm tractors I made trailers with essentially a ring hitch that could be picked up by a hook on the linkage or with a hook on the bucket. Very handy units. Looking back I probably should have gone into production. In operation you backed up to the hitch with linkage lowered engaged the pin into the ring, lift linkage and front of trailer. Proceed to cut disengage, load trailer, hook up, proceed to fill lower linkage to disengage, spin around engage hook on bucket and tip trailer. Sounds clumsy but in fact it took thirty or forty seconds to unhook, tip and reattach ready to return to cut or gravel pit. The wheels were well back and I built a quick detach grader blade to fit under which with a load of gravel in the trailer worked pretty good on station roads and fire breaks. That proto type had mechanical tilt and angle and depth of cut controlled by tractor hydraulics. I anyone is interested can get a picture of the last one I built from scrap just to do a gravel job with a little 16 hp Ford 1210. The biggest one was about six yards and the farmer built a three thousand yard embankment with it behind a big Case or maybe a Twin City. Cheers
Sounds like you have a fair bit of experience with these, if you get a chance put a photo up, it would be great to see what they looked like, and might give me a better idea of how it should be designed. What wheels did you use on them? I was thinking of using two light truck ute wheels either end of a single axle or just truck wheels depending on what I could get cheap or free.
There's an outfit in the UK makes and sells these, there was a thread about them on here I think but I can't find the thread or their website, lol.
Yair . . . Gotcha Tommo I'll be over there next week and grab a picture. I'll cop heaps on here because it's rough as guts but I'll suffer if it helps. (grins) Cheers.
Scrub, no worries, we all understand battlefield expedience, especially for one time use tools, yeah?
That sounds like a good idea Tommo for certain jobs . Later on you might pick up a compact tractor to pull the tipper with as well the excavator . We use and old dumping yard cart behind the mower & ATV for different tasks , pretty handy . She sure likes to haul in wood I like to build stuff but some items can buy cheaper then I can build it . http://www.ruralking.com/fimco-17-cu-ft-steel-dump-cart-tc17.html Good luck with it Mate .
Yair . . . Gotcha lantraxco We had a power out and I never even finished with the welding, took it over did the job and that's where its been sitting . . . and what's paint? (grins) Here we go anyway I slipped over this arvo. Its not at full tip as the hitch jammed up on the rake. Took about five passes to fill it with the little Ford and we gravelled a track inaccessible to trucks. Thirteen inch wheels no suspension. Cut up an old grain bin for the sheeting. Cheers.
Purpose built, looks plenty good to me. Good idea on the quick hitch there.
there is a company that makes a small variety of these and i believe they called it the "diggabarra" . I have seen the Vid and they seem to be a handy little unit
Nice set up Scrub ! Looks like a handy dump wagon along with the tractor outfitted like an HD 21 Allis with clearing blade & single shank ripper .:thumbsup
Yair . . . Gotcha td25c . (grins) As always it horses for courses and for what I'm doing that tractor works very well. I have cleared about 20 acres of wattle and will have some decent pasture growing next season. The wattle has surface roots and in this sandy soil I can push eight or ten inch trees after I cut them with that extended ripper . . . biggest problem is getting the root ball out of the hole It's slow of course but I poke around burning two or three litres an hour at fifteen hundred revs and another few weeks and I should have the thirty acres tidied up and ready to sell. Cheers.
Thanks for putting the pic up scrub. It looks like it would hold a good size load. I think I would have to make mine more top heavy so it could dump the load under its own weight without having to disconnect it. I wonder if it would be dangerously top heavy if I made it the width of my excavator 1550mm? I might have to draw it.
Yeah Scrub , those compact 4 X 4 tractors with front loader are handy as a shirt pocket . And like you say are pretty easy on fuel . In my opinion overlooked by many in the trades . Not familiar with the make & model of your rig ? 40 horse power ?
Yair . . . td25c Its a Chinese jobbie marketed in Australia as Apollo . . .in other places as Daedong or Changfa. Very basic, 55hp, 3litre with a 4x2 trans with mechanical shuttle and diff lock, Weighs around 6600 pounds. Came as a package with the 4 in 1, a six foot slasher (brush hog) that I had upgraded to a ninety hp gearbox and a single tyne ripper. Have about three hundred hours on it and touch wood so far it has been trouble free. Did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger. The dealers have a very good reputation and gave me names and contact details of owners within 150 miles of here and arranged for me to visit and talk about the machines . . . can't be fairer than that in my view. Cheers.
That's cool Scrub . Tractor with front loader and 3 point rear slasher can sure do it's share of clearing Mate ! Spotted one on Tractor House . http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10390705/2005-daedong-dk551 Our first dozer was a 1972 model Ford 4000 tractor with front loader . Be surprised how many people did not know Ford made a dozer . Still use it today . Thought about this thread today as we were shifting some dirt with the skid loader . A compact 4 X 4 tractor teamed up with a compact excavator would make a pretty good pair to handle a lot of tasks .
What do you guys recon would 3 ton capacity be to heavy to pull with my 3 ton excavator? My property isn't flat so might have to go up and down some kind of slopy dirt tracks.
Yair . . . Tommo I reckon three ton might be putting it to her. If you build it that size though you don't have to load it full and the capacity could be handy for woodchip mulch and such like. Cheers.
ATV Dump trailer re-purposed Here is my setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_4VkjTQP4 This video is testing it in my back yard. I also used it on a job this past summer for a week. It worked great! Trailer is #2000 GVW so it carries about #1500. So with a bucket full as well, and maybe slightly overloaded on the trailer, about 2/3 yd capacity. Excavator is 1.7 tonne. Jack
There is a old Ford crawler about 20 miles from me setting next to a shed on a place on a dirt side road. Its on my soon to visit list.
Probably thinking of Exac 0ne diga bara http://www.exac-one.co.uk/Products/Trailers/Diga_Bara/index.html Graham
That's it!
Thanks to a competitor of mine who doesn't know how to properly install a plastic septic tank, I ripped a 1K gallon one in half with my chainsaw and drag it around my jobsites with my JD35D mini when needed. I fill it up with either sand or stone and simply bucket out of it. Holds about 2 yds.