Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator durability

Piltownmax ยท 2011-07-31 22:32

What parts on bulldozers, excavators and dump trucks give the most trouble?

Replies11
  1. #1Bluox2011-08-01 00:01

    The drivers.

  2. #2Wardiker2011-08-01 01:01

    Nothing on my excavator really, I try to be sure I know it inside and out and maintain it to the letter and make sure that I know every oil, grease and hydraulic level is correct, grease the hell out of it and treat the unit as a whole with great care, dont abuse it, be smooth with the controls. Being that Im an owner and operator I dont let anyone else use it.

  3. #3averyking2011-08-01 04:24

    rollers and shafts

  4. #4xcmark2011-08-01 16:32

    #1 thing is the operator , if they run it hard and dont care if they work the next day chances are at some point the equipment will have more damage then it should and it will not work every day.

  5. #5Piltownmax2011-08-01 17:01

    I heard from two people that Doosan hydraulic hoses fail regularly. My fathers uncle has a D9 Bulldozer and the injectors were troublesome.

  6. #6cjplanthire2011-08-02 17:34

    Drivers are the most failed part of any machine, then second is normally filters hoses,then coolers,pumps anundercarraige,then engines,or structural cracks caused by bad drivers

  7. #7Greg2011-08-02 20:02

    Machines are supposed to have operators, not drivers. Only trucks have drivers and that is the biggest problem with them. Alternators and starters can be a pain too.

  8. #8Lee-online2011-08-02 20:11

    Dozer's. undercarriage and tracks wear out fast, especially in rocky conditions. Excavator seem to be pretty reliable. I would say cylinders leaking is a big thing. Articulated truck are beat to death. Hitch pins are a big problems when the hours get up there.

  9. #9grandpa2011-08-02 20:22

    I guess being from the northern climate i'd have to agree with Greg..... Batteries and starters in the north country... followed by hydraulic hose's, but the most expensive is the fuel.... geeez if I could keep my fuel money I could retire and give my equipment to the next feller to use.....lol..... Gramps

  10. #10Lee-online2011-08-02 20:27

    Yes, fuel. i just downloaded the status report from a 775E haul truck. it has 21k hours, 160k miles and used 78K gallons of fuel.

  11. #11grandpa2011-08-02 20:35

    Lol, lee,,, my fuel distributor just bought a liquor store,,,, You think the high price of fuel is gonna make me his best customer in his new business venture?