Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Grease

steve waldner · 2019-07-28 19:07

what’s the best grease for excavator pins? The stuff I use seam to disappear and it don’t look heavy enough . Blue cenex

Replies10
  1. #1Ronsii2019-07-29 00:14

    I like using the red sticky stuff... of course it gets on everything else too

  2. #2Nige2019-07-29 05:19

    Manually applied or pumped through an autolube system..?

  3. #3steve waldner2019-07-29 09:22

    Manual applied

  4. #4Nige2019-07-29 09:54

    IMO you should be looking for an NLGI #2 grease with 5% moly, low water washout numbers, and a 4-ball weld test number of 500kg minimum. I'm sure that makes no sense to you at all. Maybe the attachment will explain it a bit better.

  5. #5Ct Farmer2019-07-29 11:38

    Try Schaffer #238. Good 5% moly grease. We use the NLGI #2 or#3 and really like it. Lasts way longer than the red tacky stuff we had in the past. The Cat 5% moly is real good also but a lot more $.

  6. #6funwithfuel2019-07-29 18:02

    Mobil XHP322 . Good stuff, it's a moly grease so, no good for high speed bearings. Excellent for excavators though.

  7. #7Shimmy12019-07-29 18:40

    Have Cenex order you in Moly Extreme for summer, or Maxtron EP for winter. Here is the Moly Extreme https://www.cenex.com/~/media/cenex/files/lubricants/grease/hd moly xtreme_pds-h8-06.ashx Here is the Maxtron EP. https://www.cenex.com/~/media/cenex/files/lubricants/grease/maxtron ep_pds-h1-02.ashx

  8. #8CM19952019-07-29 19:54

    We've had good luck with Phillips 66 Megaplex XD5 No2. 5% moly grease. Order it by the case in tubes and in kegs for the air greasers. Stains the hell out of clothes though.

  9. #9willie592019-07-29 21:01

    I used the same as CM, Megaplex XD5 moly. But whatever brand you choose, for sure use moly grease. Molybdenum Disulfide provides a very thin lubricating film in very tight tollerances such as pin and bushing connections.

  10. #10steve waldner2019-07-30 19:33

    Thanks guys , all I needed to know