Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator king post bushes

Topley Mike ยท 2016-05-27 05:02

Hi all, I have the casting of an excavator king post here with worn pin holes. I would like to bore it out to accept off the shelf bushes. I can get the bushes in the correct size 70/85/36 but I need a hole for the locating pin to pass through one of them, will I be able to drill a steel bush?

Replies4
  1. #1fast_st2016-05-27 06:50

    Carbide drill would be able to do that, not a carbide tipped but solid carbide. what size is the hole you need to drill

  2. #2Topley Mike2016-05-27 07:35

    hole in new pin 10.8 mm so clearance plus for alignment. I have just tried drilling the casting and it drills easily (cobalt drill) with spiral swarf so if it is cast steel I may be better to weld the bore instead

  3. #3fast_st2016-05-27 12:45

    Well, that's probably true, good old fashioned line bore, weld and bore again will have you ship shape and standard size in no time.

  4. #4dabsfabs2016-06-02 08:41

    I sent you an email. If you wish to contact me Topley Mike