Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator mower

Farmhound ยท 2014-11-27 09:09

What mower would folks recommend for my Cat 320 BL? The machine has a hydraulic thumb (2-way flow) but I understand from a prior thread that I'll need a case drain. Thanks for the input!

Replies6
  1. #1Landclearer2014-11-27 11:00

    Famhound, I think you need two pump flow to run a mower. If not, you have very little hyd function for the rest of the machine if the mower is running. I know there are more guys on here that will know more than me and yes I think you would need a case drain also.

  2. #2Firemanmike692014-11-27 20:17

    You will need a case drain but that's not a big deal to add. As long as you have enough flow to run the attachment you should be good to go

  3. #3245dlc2014-11-27 21:35

    We've got a Pro-Mac 36" disc mulcher on a Hitachi ZX160 LC. They had an extra pump installed as it required 3/4" or 1" lines to power it and a case drain. They also set it up so you don't have to hold the auxiliary hydraulic pedal down the whole time you are using it. The only time you use the pedal is when you are travelling or moving the machine around as the mulcher takes the full power of the machine so when you press the pedal you are diverting some of the flow to your other functions. We have two Kobelco 210's and might plumb one of them to run a mulcher and despite having a 6 cylinder engine like your 320 it will still require an extra pump and a case drain.

  4. #4John C.2014-11-28 12:57

    Some of the mowers route the case drain into the return oil circuit so it depends on what mower you obtain. So to answer your question, you should start your research by checking on the those manufacturers. They will also be able to tell you what you need to do with your machine in order to operate the mower.

  5. #5Farmhound2014-11-29 18:18

    John C: It's nice to know that I have options on set-up. I'm curious what manufacturers you and other forum members have had a good experience with?

  6. #6Landclearer2014-11-29 19:37

    We have a Fecon for our Tigercat and have good luck with it. Ours has worked very well for us. I know they do make an excavator mounted unit. One of the main things I like is Fecon has an assortment of teeth for the type of vegetation or ground conditions you are in. I know a guy at Fecon if you would like to talk to him. If so, send me a pm.