Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator of your choice

deere88 ยท 2008-10-23 19:22

If you were going to start your own business and needed a 160 series excavator, what make would you buy and why? also what is the last make that you would buy? Cat, Deere, Hitachi, Case, Link-Belt, Volvo, any others

Replies30
  1. #1cat 3852008-10-23 19:23

    here it goes ointhead

  2. #2dirt digger2008-10-23 19:50

    Volvo every trackhoe you listed is good...or else they still wouldn't be in business...i just prefer to run Volvos...no real reason, they just feel right to me

  3. #3Reuben2008-10-23 20:01

    :falldownlaugh LMAO:falldownlaugh...I would buy one that makes money,I would not buy one that does not make money........The worst machine today is as good as the best machine 10-15 years ago. Spend some time operating the machine before you purchase one. But I know what "cat 385" is getting at.......I can guarantee you asking this question on here is not going to help you much....everyone has an opinion...ford, chevy or dodge.........You know what I mean

  4. #4BCB2008-10-23 20:19

    DODGE (Cummins) lol 95% of what i see around here is Volvo or cat, I don't have much seat time in either but i did really like the Volvo (except for the thumb on the pedal) One of our close friends runs a Deere and has had several rather large problems out of it.

  5. #5reddot5562008-10-23 20:19

    drott

  6. #6deere882008-10-23 20:22

    my powerstroke will run circles around any cummins.

  7. #7Reuben2008-10-23 20:26

    stack em on top each other And my 500 horse duramax will drag them both home......:falldownlaugh ......this is exactly what cat 385 ment

  8. #8deere882008-10-23 20:30

    hahaha.....i got 440 to the rear wheels with sct afe and mbrp. what you runnin in that dmax

  9. #9Dirtman20072008-10-23 20:48

    We buy whatever is the best deal for the money. Might just be why we have 6 different brands of equipment.

  10. #10dirt digger2008-10-23 21:41

    yup....we have Case, Cat, Volvo, Kubota, Takeuchi, Liebherr, IR, Ford, Peterbilts, Internationals, etc... bossman buys what he can get the deals on...they are all essentially the same machine all with comparable specs in their size classes the only thing we are brand loyal to is Case backhoes

  11. #11gmads012008-10-23 21:54

    I agree that most of the major brands are all now made pretty well. And with the way auction prices are looking, now is a great time to buy if you have the means. For example, last week on Ironplanet there were three 2006 Volvo 160's from 550-1700hrs - all went for under $50,000.

  12. #12BCB2008-10-23 21:58

    hahahahaha all those comedians out of work and there you sit crackin jokes... haha 500HP thats cute... I'll stick to my twin turbo'd 97 12V puttin at least 600 to the ground and i've got another one in the building process. Sorry to hijack i'll stop

  13. #13nedly052008-10-24 05:40

    Kobelco

  14. #14ncbschzzt2008-10-24 10:35

    I got you all beat, 07 Duramax VVT Dual Fueler. 800RWHP..... now what

  15. #15Bellboy2008-10-24 10:58

    Doosan. Cheap, real strong.

  16. #16BCB2008-10-24 14:28

    haha now ya better get to work to pay for it! lol i bet its a great truck tho. I do like the duramax's

  17. #17Reuben2008-10-24 20:02

    I agree...kobelco

  18. #18Red Bank2008-10-24 21:43

    Which dealers are in your area and which ones give the best service? You need to weigh the costs of the machine and factor in which dealer has the best service. Even if the machine is used at some point you will need parts and/or service. Who will get the parts you need in a day to get you back up and running? The company I work for has all kinds and I can say that our Cat dealer is the best at getting parts if they don't have them in stock, usually overnight and are good at working with us to make sure we have what we need. Previously our Hitachi dealer was good to work with, but due to an ownership change they lost the rights to Hitachi and now for Hitachi parts I have to go to the Deere dealer. And despite the machines being alike, on our older machines there is a difference between Deere and Hitachi and I always have trouble getting parts looked up and ordered for our machines. Our Komatsu is a good excavator but the dealer does not have a large inventory, everything has to be ordered and can take awhile to get in. If you are starting out in business machine breakdowns and getting the parts you need to get back to running can be the difference in making or breaking your company. Just my .02 cents.

  19. #19Burnout2008-10-24 22:40

    Oh yeah.... my girlfriend had a smart car..... 60 screaming horsepower. I'll drag race ya.... first one to run out of fuel loses.

  20. #20Dirtman20072008-10-24 22:54

    Can you even fit in the car being 6'4"? They are like a golf cart with a cab ointhead

  21. #21bordercollie2008-10-24 23:34

    What RED BANK said, ... who in your area has a good dealership parts and service to offer after the sale goes a long ways. Just remember, man made it, man will break it and it will take man to repair it.........

  22. #22CascadeScaper2008-10-24 23:37

    Dealer support should be #1 when buying equipment. It plays less of a role when you get to the point of having in-house mechanics, at that point you're fixing all your own stuff anyway. You could have the best hoe around but it's not worth much if it goes down and takes considerable amounts of time to get it running again because your dealer is tough to deal with on parts, service, etc.. I like Hitachi hoes best, followed by Cat, then Komatsu, Kobelco, and Case/Linkbelt. Dealer support, features, and price, in that order, are what I'd look at when comparing equipment.

  23. #23KSSS2008-10-25 00:44

    I tended to run CASE excavators when I needed to rent and when it came time to buy a 160 sized machine I bought a CASE. I still have it, 8000 hours and yet it is still tight and runs well. It runs a little warm on hot days but other than it it just digs holes. There might be better hoes out there but when it comes to actual value I think they are hard to beat. I get treated well by the CASE dealer so it is for me a win-win deal. Great machine and great support.

  24. #24ncbschzzt2008-10-25 01:04

    Just get a damn Deere 160 and call it a day. Those smart cars a cool, I would love to put a bottle rocket on one and drag race it.

  25. #25coopers2008-10-26 02:01

    DITTO!

  26. #26biggixxerjim2008-10-26 04:15

    Agreed. Deere and be done with it

  27. #27Squizzy246B2008-10-26 05:12

    I would buy a Cat, Deere, Hitachi, Case, Link-Belt, Volvo, any others....with the best dealer/deal.

  28. #28bigcatpip2008-10-26 06:24

    pick the one that has A/C and a radio

  29. #29murray832008-10-26 07:56

    Volvo...better competitive price,best on fuel and gave us a 4 year warranty no questions asked.

  30. #30Burnout2008-10-26 19:29

    It is not a golf cart with a cab..... golf carts are actually cool. Yeah I fit in it fine, I liked that car, it was easy on fuel and fit anywhere. Now she has an Audi TT..... way more fun, more comfortable and a little bit faster. As for Excavators, Deere builds a great machine, second on my list is Link Belt. Their dealer network isn't as large as the Deere network, but they build a sexy little hoe.