I still consider myself very "green" when it comes to operating, but I have a question for all you experienced operators out there: When do you really know that you are a good operator?
When people you are working for tell you.
When you get a BIG raise.
When you can do the job safely, on budget and to the customers satisfaction so that they will hire you again for their next project instead of the opposition. Cheers RDG.
Well, Alaska Sunrise, I have been running Equipment for most of my fifty some years, I started at my Fathers Ready-Mix Concrete Plants running loaders in the summer when i was out of school and have been Excavating for the last 20+ years and i am always see something that i could do better and faster so i guess to answer your question is when u feel confiden in doing something new that u have not done before and u get the job done. Tks
I am at the 50 plus age and have been at it for a couple of years off and on. Long ways to go. Hope I live that long to be a good, safe operator. Need more seat time yet.
When the boss gets in the trench to lay pipe for you or directs you while excavating around obstacles such as other services,gas lines etc while the laborer who should be there does other things.Ron G
You know you are getting good when you get more done running smoothly than someone who is slam banging everything.
I'm no bloody good, i know that, but i still get the chance to direct others. What i preach is a this; a good operator will run the machine so you can't hear it. When you're running, there shouldn't be any noise except the engine. No pounding, shaking, rattling, jerking, jarring, and definitely no wrecking anything! Good operators run quiet. Good operators take good care of their machines. They keep it clean, well lubed, and well maintained. :drinkup
^^^this^^^
When you can reach out all the way with the gummy, pull it in towards the machine at full speed keeping the grade perfectly level and without banging around, shift over one bucket width and then push out again at full speed maintaining the same grade, leaving no windrows and the grade is ready to be seeded or lay sod with no need for raking.... Then you can say you're "good". I can get the job done without too much noise and without making a mess, but I won't stand up and anounce that I'm "good" .
If your woring for a large company and your not the one thats layed off at the end of the jobs ...... This will be your first indication your good! If you work deep into the winter doing any type of work even if its not in a machine . A good company union or non-union will always try to keep its best guys going even in hard time like now.
How do you know those people know what there doing in the first place. "That guy says I'm better than this guy, and this guy says I'm better than that guy, but you know what? They all suck!" A blademan once told me.
I will go along with what everyone on here has said so far. You know your good when you boss introduces you to some high profile customers and tells them this is my ace operator in the yard and on the road and driver. Also you know your good when you get all the weird jobs or the jobs no one else can be trusted on or to do.
Have someone else ask the truck drivers that your loading. Trust me, they have an opinion
Why do you need to know how good you are? If you haven't killed anyone, hurt yourself or wrecked the machine or job site, you get invited back the next day, you're good enough. You're only as good as your last job.
why worry what others think if you and them go home safely each night there will always be people in this job who will have something to say about how you operate it so don't worry yourself just do the best YOU can....good luck to ya
let other people tell you that...never assume your good, always think you have more to learn..if you start struttin around thinking your all bad ass you'll get a nickname like primadonna..or worse
if you work for a company like the one i do you get sent out to a lot of different jobs ever thing from demo to pipe work and anything in between . like last week cutting sand grade for a steel yard this week digging around tension piles in the middle of bc place .so when you stop worrying about the new job your going to the next day . and always keep you mind open
when you can stick a kitchen match in the crack of a sidewalk, tape some sandpaper to a bucket tooth, reach out and light the match without breaking the match stick.
I am operating since I had all me teeth and hair,now I am bald with gaps in me gob but I still watch a operator to see if he has some that I can learn,in management now but what I have found is that anyone that comes to me blowing their own trumpet is a waste of their time and mine.As the old saying goes Empty vessels make the most sound I have worked with many a operator and the better ones you wont have any issue with; does what they are told; keep the machine in good nick; are careful; with everyone going home safe.That is all most want....
I agree. Always take the attitude that you will never stop learning. Watch the more experienced people, and observe how they do things.Copy the things that seem to work for them. Constant improvement is the name of the game. Only take advice from people you know and trust.
A sign you're doing ok is when the only time your boss talks to you is "hello" in the morning, a **** chat mid day to discuss future plans and a "see you tomorrow" at the end of the day.
Your a girl and from what i have found you are already ahead of any boy starting out because all of the girls i have seen are far easyer to get along with and are gentle with the equipment A good oporator shows up and can pull a decent grade. A great oporator is aware of their surroundings, and what is going on at all times,they should know what has to be done in the next hour so that as soon as your done one thing you move on to the next task with out stopping your machine. Like people have said you need to be easy to work with and to be able to take advice and learn the good points of your other oporators and adapt them to fit your style. once you get good you will get board unless you are constantly thinking of ways to keep yourself more productive. I can teach a monkey to load a truck in 5 minutes, but a great oporator will know how to place his truck,machine,material to load a tandem in 30 seconds. Ps A clean painted counterweight with no scraches shows the caliber of the oporator
You mean those scratches aren't on the machine when it's new?
Well around here I know of about four that are the best operators there is.They can operate any thing.And yes they are the best. But the funny thing is they are never working.They have no Grey hair because their age is 17 to 22.Their best work is operating a beer can.
All these ideal conditions responses make me laugh. Some of you "operators" need to get out in the real world. I've been in plenty of places where the slop is up over the tracks and the counterweight is dragging on the ground and you have to bang the bucket against the stops to get the goo to come out. I'm sure if all you do is load trucks in a rock quarry you can avoid scratches and extra noise but it doesn't work that way in the real world.
Is that so? I've taken this 385C LME straight through some pretty nasty swamps, melting frost piles and mud holes and I've never dragged my counterweight all over everything. It's a simple matter of knowing which way you can push or pull to not sink, and smoothing out any dirt that squishes up so you have room for the rear when you swing. Knowing when to dig under the tracks to self rescue before you go down is a handy skill too.
Yes, you're not always going to have the textbook conditions. As long as nothing is unsafe you do the best you can.
Scratchs do happen, but if your constantly swinging into the same pile all day long without a clue as to where your counterweight is there might be a problem. ' Same as for curling the bucket. You may need to give it a little shake, but not constantly banging it all day long lever yanking. As for being a great operator, I always tell people its my first time.
Being good is the feeling that the machine has become an extension of one's body. When I first learn to operate any new machine, I need to think about which hand or foot movement is necessary in order for the machine to do what I want it to do. In time, the machine becomes an extension of one's body and instinct or habit takes over. Another aspect of being a good operator involves knowing the machine well enough to feel if it is healthy and to operate it in such a way as to keep it healthy. To reach that point requires time and sensitivity. Usually, if one treats the machine well, it will return the favor.
Haha that's the way to do it! Another good line is "Oh I'm the second greatest operator". Everyone always goes on about how they are the best so I figure I'll take second with no contest
you never stop learning just remember that dg
IF you're truly honest enough with yourself to actually ponder the question and want to know the answer, then I'd have to say... When you're no longer worried about whether you're a good operator. :cool2 (Been at it for 30+ years, and still have room for improvement.)
i knoew i was a good operator when i was sent to a job because the company we were working for requested that I be the operator for there jobs.
I agree banging the bucket is not good for the machine!
From following this thread it appears that a poll should have been started..for my two cents worth this is number one Always be willing to learn
What makes an operator good: getting the best out of the machine. Counter weight scratches, no one worries about that in S.A, its not like the paint holds it on or anything like that... Though, a good looking, silent machine means that it has a good operator.
hell, if i can make the day without wrecking anything, that's a good day
The most important part of being a good operator is being a safe operator. In my operation I deal both with professionals that know how to work with machines and civilians who are clueless. I have to take this into account and be extra careful when I am working with civilians to make sure they don't wander behind my machine or rush into the work area. Next is the ability to communicate with the team to make sure the work gets done right the first time, this is also part of safety. You are ultimately responsible that your machine does not hurt anyone. Another thing that makes a good operator is one who can be in tune with the machine and know if it is sick, this also goes for the ability to inspect and service it. Plenty of wallys out there who think they are top notch operators but drive their machines into the ground. So basically I would say if you work safe, get off the machine to discuss the job and stop if you are not sure, plus look after the equipment you operate then I would say you are a good operator, which is the basis to become a top notch operator.
I was raised around Heavy Equip.Run lots of it.Friend called asked have you ever run a scraper?No but I'll be willing to try.I have watched lots of operators on them.He hired me and a week later told me the owner asked where he got the scraper operator.He never told them it was my first time.By keeping you eyes and ears open you can learn things.
I have been operating for over 25 years so I have a bit of experience, but, I think you can always learn a better way of doing things and I know there is always someone better than me to learn from. The important thing for me has always been to make sure that the contractor that comes in after you won't have a bad word to say about how you left him the job. If you don't have the skill to do it quickly, that should come with experience, as your operating skill improves and you work out more efficient ways of working, but if you have pride in your work and leave the job right you will be thought of as a good operator. I think whatever you do, you should have a pursuit of excellence, then the skill will come. Also worth mentioning, is that while it is always good to suggest what you think is a better way of doing the job, provided there is no there is no safety or damage issues, the clients way is always right if they chose to ignore your good advice. (only applies to hourly work of course) Baz
haha I tell everyone i have no idea what im doing whether its turning wrenches, moving dirt or trucking. :beatsme I agree with most of what has been said already. I watch other operators to learn new tricks or maybe a better way of going about a task. Even what not to do. productivity, basic maintainence and cleanliness, safety and smooth flowing movements make a good operator
beening orginized with your materials, machine, trucks whatever it is, im always watching other operators to learn new tricks, counterweight scratches are a no no, being safe with the machine your operating and feeling confindent in it
apparently, you've never been in tight quarters where you couldn't get your spoils away from you. rattle cans or paint take care of scratches quick.
If counterweight scratches are a no no, I am in big trouble
I thought counterweight scratches came on the machine from the factory. I have never seen a machine with no scratches unless it was new.But I have seen new ones with scratches.
i admit that not everything is perfect and yes i adimt i have done the odd scratch or a few.. i was more on the lines of meaning not always hitting the spoils pile all day long on everyswing sorry that i worded it wrong on my first post
My brother has been an operator for 40 years and currently runs a CAT 345. When I asked him if he was any good on that thing, his reply was "Show me where you itch." I guess that says it all. But, like anything else, it's all about confidence and your ability to never think you are above listening. Even though 90% of the info you get from people is either wrong or inaccurate, it's the 10% that we all need to listen to. Best of luck!
When you get called back day after day for years for the same company to do the tougher jobs that you know most operators couldnt handle, and the owner asks your oppinion how to handle certain jobs, well then its safe to assume you are competent enough to be called a professional. And believe me when I tell you, I think very highly of my abilities but I dont care if its from the old lady down the block if she has an idea and it works well then I am smarter for listening. Aways watch, listen, and learn. There are plenty operators out there we can all learn from.
From my experience, the people that tend to brag about themselves and feel the need to tell you that they can do this and can do that.........they are the ones that you need to stay far away from. I get compliments from customers and other operators quite a bit. I just brush it off and say that "I've done this a couple times". There is no need to brag or become overconfident. There is always someone out there that can do it better, faster and smarter than you. The key to this business is to keep and open eye and ear and pay attention to what you are doing and always keep learning. You can learn alot, especially from the "old timers".
You know when your a bad operator when the Boss tells you,Pedro will be on your machine from now on.
Wow!! I'm amazed at all the responses! What made me post this question is all the second guessing I do when I am digging. It seems I'm always questioning how I have the machine set up and usually thinking "There must be a better way of doing this!" Maybe I will get better and faster with more time, but when I see other operators doing nice work I often ask myself "Will I ever be that good?"
When you are good you just know, im not the best by any means, but better than most :tong
Bud I have been running equipment since i was five. we all love equipment here but i like to keep mine shinny from my blades to my excavators to my bobcats. I admit i have swung the house into stuff at times but it always gets buffed and painted (eventualy) we do every thing and any thing with our machines from under ground utilities to loading trucks and realy there is no excuse for a oporator to have a shinny spot on his counterweight. When i see a machine like that i instantly think that the oporator is A inexperienced or is just there for a paycheque and doesnt care about my machinery that my family works hard to keep and maintain. I got the old 160 dithcing in the bottom of our trench after i couldn't dig any deeper with the 350d and i didnt scrach the counter weight because i may not be the best oporator but atleast im professionel at what i do we are known all around alberta for shinny clean equipment and if you want contracts in the patch your immage is every thing.
here is one of the picks
...
i work for a company that runs around 100 excavators with as many operators and not all of them give a ****e about the machine...the 1 i am on right now is 2 years old and looks 32 it's beat up but because the machine is a mess does not really reflect on the operator i always look after any machine i operate not every beat up machine has a bad operator
when company men brag on your work, request you when they want something to be done right and look good, when you know what to do and how to use the machine to do it without thinking, and i think the best one of all is having an old vet that has been doing it for a long time and can do anything damn good says, "boy, that looks real good"
A lot of good points here. I would say when you get past just pulling the levers. Look at the jobsite get your trucks where they can move around the best and don't have to jack around to get to you. And keeping things set up for what ever operation is coming after you. Billy
loading trucks out of a bank/quarry, is a good place to learn where your controls are, how the machine performs...you know you're getting close when they yank you out of the quarry...and throw you on a pipe job, where attention to detail, and continually be concerned/worried about the lives you have in the hole underneath you, and the utilities you're digging around to do your job.
as a for instance...my daughter, when she was 12....was top loading dump trucks in a pit...and i'm proud to say very proficiently after about the 5-6th day.....would i put her on a pipe crew at that stage? uh-uh
Take care of the machine, work with safety as the number 1 priority, do your best and at the end of day you enjoy what you do and make a living at it you must be doing something right.......thats my stand.
Sad to say,but you see alot of that these days...
Im 21 and not all off us are punks. I run a 580 backhoe full time, been running this machine over a year. Worked straight through winter, get my fair share of compliments, etc. etc. I do my job, work hard, and dont brag. Way I look at it, you wanna see what I can do, sit and watch but opinions are opinions and bragging isnt a way to make a pay check. I pay attention to what I'm doing and listen and learn to the more experianced and know they can show me how it's done. Ive argued with people close to my age before but I know what Im capable off and at the end of the day its not a competition.
I agree. I'm even younger than you, and I've never run heavy equipment as my main job, so I admit that I'm not the greatest operator around, and am willing to learn from the more experienced. I have seen some know-it-all punks here and there, young [and old too ] but there are plenty of young fellows who can run equipment decently and don't claim to know everything.
And those that don't claim to know everything are good operators or they soon will be.
A good operator doesn't compare himself to other operators, he compares himself with the job he's done. A good operator once told me that you when your done your job and your walking it over you should never have to use your boot to knock down a small windrow or blemish. Some people just don't have it, a kid could jump on a machine and just naturally have a good touch, the next guy jumps on and slowly becomes a good operator, and the next guy can jump on a machine and not be able to do anything, and after years of experience still not be able to do anything. Those people usually end up working at home depot
Making every motion count I believe is very important... fast+smooth+safe= efficient/profitable. Or if you win and Excavator Rodeo... you might be alright then....
i agree, i started operating equipment full time when i got out of highschool, i am 23 now and have never been laid off, noone has ever knocked my work, and i love what i do. But i had some good teachers, i had a natural nac for the machine, and i had a seasoned vet teach me how to go about things, like the man said some people got it, some dont
I am looking to get a job around equipment these holidays (Thank you FIFA), and there are a lot of things that I have picked up off this thread... I have to say, operators in general are my heroes, and I'm not being funny. Sure, I've met a lot of operators who are in it for the paycheque, but most love it. I know a wheel dozer operator, been on the same machine since 1986 when the machine was bought new. It doesn't do much work, but he looks after it. He doesn't allow the mechanics to service it unless he is there. Treatment of equipment here... Operators are harsh, I won't say they aren't, but then again, so is Africa. Counter weight scratches happen, but a lack of proper training facilities is apparent. Most recieve on the job training from some one who actually doesn't know all that much about equipment themselves, so that is a problem. But for all their shortcomings, our operators are good.