Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Rental Machines

D3DaveC ยท 2013-03-17 15:25

I see the rental companies advertising their used rental machines for sale, some look all right some look rough. Anyone know how they decide when it goes for sale, when it's 95% worn out or 50%? Is it the undercarriage that makes them decide when to let a machine go or overall performance. Anyone here buy an ex-rental and how is it? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Puppy2013-03-17 15:37

    I would stay away if I could. To many unknown operators and typically if a person doesn't own it they don't take care of it.

  2. #2CM19952013-03-17 19:02

    Be careful buying any used rental machine. Check it over well and ask for all the service records. Remember - Nothing parties like a rental...:cool2

  3. #3DGODGR2013-03-17 22:20

    I don't think that the amount of wear usually plays a large role in the decision. Most large rental firms are run by bean counters. When they sell is probably based on a ratio of how much rent has been collected, present value, and market demand predictions. I think it is possible to get a good used machine from a rental yard but I would be wary. As others have stated they are often ridden hard and put away wet. As with any machine be sure to check it out thuroughly.

  4. #4pf/l2013-03-17 22:34

    We've bought some stuff off of Hertz before. Typically they go by year and hours acumulated. When they figure out their price they factor in age how many dollars have been paid in rent and how many hours are on the machine. Some good or at least decent deals can be had but like others have said you do have to be careful. Ryan

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2013-03-17 23:40

    I have seen good deals and not so good ones. Check the machines closely. Rental customers come in all kinds. Sometimes you may get one that spent years on rent to a large customer who cared for it and used it sparingly, so it is in great condition, and then there are the ones that have been out every week to a different abuser. Careful inspection will generally tell the story. Check the pins and center bearing for tightness. If it is very loose, that is a good indication of poor care. Banged up sheetmetal is a red flag. Deals are out there, but so are duds.

  6. #6ric552013-03-18 04:16

    I recently bought a JD200 CLC and intended to buy a one owner machine from a private seller or at a retirement auction. At the retirement auction of a contractor the machines were squeezed into a line and on the inspection day which was the day before the sale you were not allowed to take them out of line and swing them around to check the turntable bearing. Also it was advertised as a 2006, one owner machine but a serial# check indicated that it was built in april,2005 and the dealer had owned it for 6 months prior to the customer buying it. It was a nice clean machine but it sold for almost 20,000 above the average sale price from a Richie bros search. It was not at a Richie bros sale. The next machine I looked at was a one owner machine found in Rock and Dirt. Drove 4 hours and the machine had a worn out pin and bushings at the bottom of the stick, so bad that the stick end would have to be rebuilt. No service records, no operators manual, boom cyls leaking badly, no marks on the filters where anything had been recorded about service but at least it could be driven around but no digging due to the site. Both the hyd tank and pump gearbox were low in oil. Owner said it might not crank due to a fuel problem but when I started it the temp came right up so he had already run it to warm it up. Boom pipes were flopping around and the bucket teeth were worn down into the shanks. Made an offer about 10,000 below his asking price and he declined. The third machine I looked at was at Hertz rentals. I could drive it around and rent it if I wanted to do a real test. It had records of everything ever done to it including all oil and filter changes and repairs due to damage. I got my choice of 3 buckets on the yard, free delivery, full of fuel and greased ready to work. I made a list of repairs needed like a new ignition switch, boom pipe clamps, and new bucket teeth and they were all done free. Lower stick pins and bushings had been replaced twice. It may be a dog but I feel a lot better about it than I did at the auction or the one owner machine I looked at. I also looked at the Cat dealer for a cat machine but they had been rented also and some had been purchased at auctions or from other dealers so they had no history to go by. They were at a premium price, however.

  7. #7The Learner2013-03-18 04:49

    if your looking at a mini and there anything like the ex hire mini's i have seen i would RUN, RUN FAST RUN FAR and for dear lord don't look back however if is over say 12 ton i would say if has come off a long term contract i would say the machine would most likely be treated like it was the companies own so would be like buying any used machine private or through a dealer then again it is a rental and a lot of problem's cannot be found while playing with a machine in a dealer yard they don't arise until the machine is redhot and working full capacity like the others have said tread carefully, inspect everything twice and be sure the machine is value for the condition