I have rented some mini's in the past and need to dig a 650ft ditch in somewhat rocky soil for underground power. I was thinking of renting a 15000lb machine but maybe a 25 or 30k is better for the job? I will be backfilling with a tractor so I only need to rent it for hopefully a day. It's about 280 for a 15k machine and 400 for a 30k machine for daily rental rates where I am. Below is a link to the rental company I use. What machine would you guys rent and do you think a one day rental will be sufficient? http://www.easyrentall.com/heavy_construction.html
I would say the Volvo 88 would have no problem digging a 650' in a day if you know what you are doing. Not sure what size buckets they have for it. If you have to put sand in the trench you would not want a bigger machine with a wide bucket as it would require more sand.
I thought of one thing but you guys might think I am crazy. I have wanted to own a backhoe loader for years. Currenty own a 48hp compact tractor with backhoe, loader and all the other goodies. I thought about renting a backhoe loader instead of the excavator even if it takes me twice as long I will get some good time in it so I can really figure out if I ever would want to buy one. Opinion?
I say go for it! A good size backhoe would be almost as fast as a 8 ton excavator.
How deep are you digging? Is it primary power? Out here primary is almost 5' deep. I don't see why a rubber tired hoe with a 24" bucket couldn't do the job. Is it relatively flat? The thing is you we need to be bedding your pipe and it is way easier to swing the bedding in with a hoe. I would just have the trucks dump 2 loads together every hundred feet or so then tram it with the hoe. Can you backfill with your tractor? I would use a hoe b/c I can't stand rubbber tired hoes. Whatever works. Good Luck, CD
For what it's worth I would say go for the backhoe rental, then you will see if you like it or not. They are great all around machines, kinda like the jack of all trades thing. Some days I sure wish I had one...
You already own a compact tractor with a backhoe and loader? Why rent? (Unless the job is outside the specs of the machine, which we have no information of)
Bigger the better, biggest you can afford. Bigger is more fun also.