Has anyone used one before?
Yeh I tried one, but you really need the feedback force of a real one to get the feel and the joystick layouts as well. you need that feel of the tracks lifting off the ground when ya have a heavy load in yer bucket. I wasnt impressed but if thats all you have to try it doesnt hurt and can be fun. Somethings better that nothing.
Simulators?..Whats that all about?...Get in the seat thats the only way you are ever gonna find out what it's like. The machine will tell you when you are level,and no fancy whistles and bells toy or classroom will tell you how it's done
When I first started running equipment, I thought about using a simulator. However, I was told the same thing. If you want to learn how to use an excavator, you need to get in one and use it. I had ran backhoes before, but an excavator can be a different beast.
As long as I can remember growing up dad had a ford 4000 or 6000 tractor with 4 lever backhoe attachment. So thats what I was used to. Later on I found myself on ford 555 and jd hoes 750 being the largest, what a difference from the childhood days. Then got my hands on a tracked machine, and hands down just like being in one. And really would be just fine pulling levers all day if I could just find the work.