Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator size

Dozier Digging ยท 2015-01-01 12:11

I'm looking to buy a good used excavator to use along with d37 and 943 I've owned 150 size and a 312cl In the past I'm favoring the 312 size because I can haul it on my 20 ton trailer behind my tandem but looking at the market I can by a 200 size for the same money but i don't have a way of transporting that size of machine I will be using the machine to load tandems clear lots dig stumps and small demo (houses) and dig basements etc what would be my best option

Replies6
  1. #1Landclearer2015-01-01 12:18

    I would go for a 315 or 160 size. Big enough to do plenty of work but still movable behind a tri-axle.

  2. #2CM19952015-01-01 12:20

    I second the 315/160 size for the same reasons.

  3. #3Dozier Digging2015-01-01 12:28

    I was told a 315 /160 size was to big to haul on my tandem axle 20 ton trailer

  4. #4Landclearer2015-01-01 12:32

    We move our 315 short distances but not long hauls on a 20 ton Eager Beaver.

  5. #5Dozier Digging2015-01-01 17:29

    I only work around my area not more than 30 miles or so

  6. #6Shimmy12015-01-01 18:55

    Most 160 size hoes weigh around 37,000 lbs. So, if your trailer weighs 8,000 lbs, you need to carry 10,000 lbs on the hook. If you have a coupler, you can set the bucket up in the truck box and lose 1500 off the trailer. 10,000 is a fair bit on a pintle hook, but not out of the question.