Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Thumb questions

2machine ยท 2022-01-13 23:20

Hi, We are a manufacture for excavator thumbs and other attachments. We make non progressive thumb for CAT like attached. We are considering to make the pin longer and the structure wider , and put in a lot of shims, so it can fit all the brands in the same tier. But we are a bit concern about if it will make it harder to use and make the pin more vulnerable. Do you guys know if other manufactures are doing that? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you!

Replies9
  1. #1terex herder2022-01-15 20:28

    If I thought I needed to accomodate variable widths, I'd use an oversize diameter pin bore. I'd then use an intermediate bushing with a head on it that was installed from the inside. The different head thickness would be used to narrow the width as necessary.

  2. #2JMR-TBAY2022-01-16 10:20

    Esco did something similar with widening the frame and using 2 large welded spacers.

  3. #3dieseldog5.92022-01-16 15:21

    Maybe if you used a similar system to the excavator buckets that have 3 bolts and the shims are removed on the outside to push the adjuster in. I will take a picture of the bucket on my machine for an example. On a separate note I have a quote on my desk for an excavator thumb from your company, one thumb is quoted but in the end i will need 2 thumbs for Cats and 1 for a Hitachi.

  4. #42machine2022-01-17 23:12

    Your pic will be greatly helpful. I'm the owner of Bedrock, let me know if you need anything. [email protected] Thank you!

  5. #52machine2022-01-17 23:13

    Is is good to know! Thanks!

  6. #6KSSS2022-01-18 23:45

    I was curious 2machine, why don't you offer a pro link thumb?

  7. #72machine2022-01-19 02:27

    we offer progressive thumb and non progressive thumb, you can see it on our site bedrockattachments.com

  8. #8KSSS2022-01-19 12:24

    OK, your initial post stated nonprogressive link thumbs, but I didn't check your website.

  9. #92machine2022-01-19 13:30

    Yes because it's much more complicated to make a progressive thumb interchangeable with all brands, we already gave up on that.