Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Tree Puller

grandpa · 2014-10-01 20:32

Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes and attachment for an excavator that will pull trees stumps and all? I got a 35 acre job coming in the pipeline and the owner wants the trees all pulled, piled and burned. Most of the the trees are less than 8" dia.

Replies18
  1. #1CM19952014-10-01 20:38

    Iron Horse had an attachment for such use -

  2. #2stumpjumper832014-10-01 20:55

    a good thumb on a 10 - 20 ton hoe shoulds be fine.

  3. #3CRAFT2014-10-01 21:03

    I guess the first thing you should let us know what size excavator you are planning to use …… as stumpjumper posted a 10-20tonne will do it, even with out a thumb (with a thumb is better to bash out the extra dirt and hoe-chuck-it) ……. an 8" stump is a piece of **** for my 'ol 312 Cat … I only wish that most of the time they were that small …. LOL

  4. #4grandpa2014-10-01 21:03

    Yup Cm.... that's about what im looking for.... too bad there were no close up photo's,,, I'd rather buy than build tho as I have plenty of other things to be doing.

  5. #5grandpa2014-10-01 21:05

    I have a Cat 325 hoe with a hydraulic thumb... too slow that way.

  6. #6clintm2014-10-01 21:24

    Ive got a clearing rake on a ED180 kobelco that work's great for the smaller trees you can reach out and stick tree between fingers and dig in behind stump it will pluck out stump and all. Those smaller dia. scrub trees are a pain because they normally break off any other way then you are fighting with that small stump that you can't get a hold of

  7. #7stumpjumper832014-10-01 21:50

    whats your target acre per day and the tree species gramps, if your on im in chat as well

  8. #8td25c2014-10-01 21:58

    This company might have something for an excavator . Don't know what you have in mind ? Some kind of shear / grapple combination ? http://www.wagway.com/static/about-wagway.html I take it the trees are pretty thick being most are less then 8" in diameter .

  9. #9lumberjack2014-10-01 22:15

    I was thinking bucket and thumb also. I don't think a grapple would be much faster. A tool to pop them out would still require piling them into burn piles.

  10. #10grandpa2014-10-01 22:19

    Trees are pine thicker than hair on a dogs back.. I have a tree puller attachment for my 267B that handles the smaller trees,,, but I need something more bada** than that for the excavator.

  11. #11td25c2014-10-01 22:26

    ........ Or give Rome Plow a call & quote ya a price on a new K/G blade for the D7 Cat Be allot quicker than trying to pluck each tree with an excavator . http://www.romeplow.com/Specialty Equipment.htm

  12. #12grandpa2014-10-01 22:32

    I want something that can clamp low on the trunk, and not have to reach over and break any branches off. I have D8's and 7's but they break the crap out of things too. After the trees are pulled and burnt, then I run over it with a Cat rm500 reclaimer. Its then ready to plant a crop . What Im trying to avoid are the little sticks,, .

  13. #13td25c2014-10-01 22:53

    Understand grandpa but why the big deal over little sticks ? No till planters & drills roll rite over them . After a few seasons they get chopped up with tillage tools and rot & mix in the soil .

  14. #14grandpa2014-10-02 05:10

    Its about the customer. I've cleared over 5,000 acres for him TD. He wants what he wants and the pay is Better than gov. checks. Know what I mean?

  15. #15td25c2014-10-02 05:42

    Affirmative grandpa . Have to give the customer what they want or at least make your best effort . So the plan is pluck the trees in somewhat of a small perimeter and have a series of smaller burn piles to help keep down on mixing trash in to soil ?

  16. #16stumpjumper832014-10-02 06:13

    well gramps, the best I can quickly rat out are these ransomes... http://www.ransome-equip.com/rotating.html they show their ysg's doing similar. They also look like a whole stack of $$, but I guess 5000 acres isn't cleared for free.

  17. #17grandpa2014-10-02 07:29

    That's about what im needing stump... don't know if I'd need rotating head,,, but its a start. Yes TD if figure I could walk thru picking everything in reach placing it behind me in a windrow,, then move over and go back pulling everything again as long as I can still throw it on the windrow.

  18. #18DoyleX2014-10-02 08:35

    The little sticks are tough not to get. I've never used a rake on a dozer to clean up. The grading bar on a ctl is awesome for picking out the trash and leaving dirt. Then what do you do with it? The thing with the hoe is you can get the stump and trunk out easily and fast. Pick it up, spin around and stack for the loader with forks and top clamp to carry away. Or hire a harvester, toss it in the chipper and send it to a power plant or mill for fuel. Then grub the stumps with no leverage. You can thumb a few smaller branches in the bucket and "sweep" as you go, works good.