From what i heard i have understood it to be that a Cat 345 excavator is a 45 ton machine but when i took the weight and divided it by the weight of a ton it was a 50 ton machine and i also did it with a 329 and it was a 33 ton so how does it work? Thanks for the help Tim
I do believe it is presented in Metric form.
I believe they are measured by "metric" ton also.
Tim, Mike and DigDug are correct, the excavators weight classes are by "metric" ton. That being said, Cat's do tend to weigh a little bit heavy in their classes, it's a big reason why the 330's are now 336's and so down the line.
Long Tons Try 2240 and see if it's closer.
yea the 2240 metric ton worked for a 345 i got like 44.6 and i didnt have the exact weight i just used 100000 pounds.
Alot depends on their configuration ,ie grouser width ,dipper/stick length, undercarriage, etc etc
metric ton A unit of mass equal to 1,000 kilograms (2,205 pounds).
Yep.... stock is correct. There are several reasons for this. "The book weight" is base machine, no optional equipment, no fuel, no mud. Which nobody buys. Long tracks, wide tracks, long stick, 60" bucket, etc, etc. I have personally never hauled a "400 class" excavator that weighed less than a 104,000 lbs. I recently delivered a brand new Deere 450 (no fuel & no mud) that weighed 106,000 lbs. (that was complete with a 60" bucket) In the past, if we didn't know, we'd take the "book weight" and add 10% - it was close. And we usually had a little wiggle room on our permits. Better to have too much than not enough. There are a couple other reasons this has happened, but I'm not into that here. If you want more...... I'd be happy to share. Good luck!
Convert This program saves a lot of grief
Thanks for the link Stock. We have it and like it a lot. I used your link to download it onto my friend's computer.
You are welcome and delighted to be of service..