Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Exhaust/circulation fan in shop

still learn'n ยท 2018-06-12 08:53

I have had the thought to put a fan in this wall on the right close to the corner for welding fume extraction and also for a circulation fan. Has anybody done this thoughts? Do the shutters seal off good? What's the other options?

Replies4
  1. #1Jumbo2018-06-13 22:09

    While walls work, a fan works better in the roof/ceiling, better air flow and the backdraft dampers work better also. Get some flexible duct and you can drag it around wherever you wish. Wall mounted fans are not bad, they just do not work as well as roof mounted fans. I have a roof mounted exhaust fan with a 12" piece of round duct hanging down to attach my flexible duct work. I will admit what make my roof fan works so well was the price; free.

  2. #2still learn'n2018-06-13 22:56

    Thanks for the reply I meant to add a picture but guess it didn't get added here it is

  3. #3Jumbo2018-06-13 23:09

    Nice space,what are the two different floors? The other downside I forgot to mention was all the gunk/soot/dirt that the fan sucks out is deposited on the side of your shop where everyone can see... on the roof, nobody notices...

  4. #4still learn'n2018-06-14 18:53

    That is steel sheeting don't remember thickness 3/16" or 1/4" to protect concrete around weld table. One thing I was a little worried about is how well it would seal off in the winter