I've been looking for a 10-15 ton excavator to use on our timber property and several Case 9010B have come on the market. I would appreciate any opinions, experience with these machines. The two that are on the market are both 1998s and would be used 100-200 hours per year. Thanks, Logger
Again , all these machines are good Case being one of the better . How many HRS , maintenance , undercarriage , general appearance . You can tell by looking at the cab for starters . Is the seat a mess , is the door in good shape , are all the windows still in it ? Have you got a descent dealer for parts ? If you go to look at one make sure they are going to let you run it to operating temperature and a little more . Iwill not buy anything until Ican run it for at least a day . Case is a good machine just depends on who owned it and how it was treated .
I have a 9010 case and it has put up with a lot of abuse and given me very little trouble. the only thing I can complain about is the electric throttle not working, but that was bypassed when I bought it.
The Case excavators of that era were built in Japan by Sumitomo. They are the same as the Link-Belt line with different model designations. The Sumitomo machines were typical of all the Japanese built units. Dependable as long as they got a reasonable amount of maintenance. The electronics package was pretty rudimentary compared to the competition of that time. Not much of a diagnostic package, but also not a terrible amount of stuff to go wrong. Mechanical components are spendy and getting hard to get in whole pieces. There are some aftermarket vendors out there but you have to be pretty careful using them. Condition is your first consideration and then you should see if there is a dealer around that can help with service and parts. Don't forget you can use the Link-Belt dealer if there isn't a Case dealer close. They do charge more for parts but Case didn't have a lot of people who could troubleshoot. Ask some local loggers for who to ask for if you have problems. Good Luck!
How many hours and how much? Those were good years for the case and lb's. I don't know what you are using it for, I prolly would pay over 20-24k for a 3000 hour 9010. but that is just me. The motor's are bombproof and as John has commented there is not a whole lot to go wrong with the electronics. I would watch the U/C real close, check for boom repairs. You can usually tell fairly quicky if the tractor is a runner or not. I have been very happy with my case dozer and lb hoe's. That size hoe is a little small for us, so i don't have alot of practical experience in that class. Good Luck!!Regards CD