My Dad bought a 1973 case 450 track loader. It has the case 188 engine. When he brought it home from the auction the transmission was low on oil. I'm wondering if it has been over heated and damaged. Now I have filled it and ran it. In low gear it has lots of power and no problems. In high gear it lugged down but still climbed a 7% grade hill. I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade but don't have a lot of experience with older machines. I'm wanting to talk to someone who has experience with this unit or has ran them to tell me if that's normal or what to expect from the machine in high gear. I don't want to continue with other repairs on this machine if the trans is damaged. Thanks. Edit. Sorry I see I posted in wheel loaders. I meant to hit track loaders. Not sure how to change it.
How does it feel when you load the bucket? Does the hi-low range shifter work and does the pressure stay up in the gauge.
Did you smell the transmission oil to see if it was burnt?
Just ask.
I called case and got the procedure for shifting from high to low and you can not do it without shutting off the machine. It just grinds. The bucket has lots of power. Lifted the machine when it was frozen into the ground. The pressure gauge seems to be working and pressures changing correctly with gear changes. The oil does seem to be burnt in appearance and smell. And how do I change the category? Thanks.
You can't. But I already did, way back on Sept. 20.
Ok thanks