Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Experience with a SEC frost ripper

Wilson892 · 2019-09-23 09:59

Want a frost hook/ripper for my JD 892 DLC to root out tree stumps. Usually dig them out with the bucket but the oak stumps leave a big hole that takes forever to fill and stop settling. Have maybe 50 stumps and don’t want to buy the farm for a ripper. See SEC’s for around $2K and was wondering if it would hold up or spend four times that on another brand. Thanks, John

Replies4
  1. #1GregsHD2019-09-23 12:32

    I've got a 68" SEC rake, made from butter soft mild steel, my 790D bent the tines like wet noodles, after several hours of reinforcing it's holding up ok. Luckily I picked it up for cheap! Their rippers should be ok for light use being careful not to side load it. I've found the Q/A are all WBM also, not sure what your 892 is equipped with?

  2. #2uptight excavating2019-09-23 20:13

    I have 2 SEC buckets. One is a cleanup and the other one is a digging bucket. They are used for occasional use not full time but they have stood up amazingly well. Better than I expected.

  3. #3tbone14712019-09-24 07:13

    Bought a bucket for a 450 hoe. It was cheap and i figured 1 month of use and it would all be good. Lasted 3 days. Ripped the bottom off of it.

  4. #4Wilson8922019-09-25 06:07

    Thanks for the replies. Found a local company TRK Attachments that has what appears to be a better built ripper. Atleast they have printed brochures and say what their hooks are made of. John