Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EXTREME Volvo

mtrgrdr ยท 2009-12-08 22:20

For anyone who wonders what a motor grader's front axle oscillation, frame articulation, moldboard highlift, tandem pivot, seat belt (and frame warranty) are for... see the attached photo. All of the above features are being used to the full extent in this application along a rural road in South Carolina.

Replies34
  1. #1plowking7402009-12-08 22:41

    just proves that you are only limited by your imagination. many operators would never attempt that. I would seriously think about it , and after looking at this I might even do it. Excellent picture .

  2. #2drthead2009-12-08 22:48

    oh my goodness. I had that happen one time, but it was not planned. it happened when someone dared a salesman to run a motor grader! Kidding aside, that is incredible. I wonder how long it took him to get the machine in that position.

  3. #3smoothoperator2009-12-08 23:57

    Sometimes I get that way just driving through the front gate!!! smoothoperator...prepare for takeoff

  4. #4Cattech2009-12-09 02:44

    One Question! Why? Would'nt it be alot easyer to use an wheeled excavator with a tilt-rotator to do that?

  5. #5Grader4me2009-12-09 05:09

    Lol..welcome to graderville! Just one of the many things that you can do with a grader. I've done this many times, but will admit I havn't had the front end up quite that high on the bank. I really don't think this operator needed to be that high either. Notice that a portion of his blade (toe) is grading air.. If I had to place my front end that high to be able to reach the top I still would have made full use of my blade. Looking at the picture, I think he could have kept his front end down and acheived the same results.

  6. #6amtronic2009-12-09 08:38

    From the "Hey, ya'all, watch this!" series?

  7. #7perley032009-12-11 19:58

    Where in SC is this? I worked in Aiken for nearly 2 years as a government contractor before I started running heavy equipment.

  8. #8hiballer6272009-12-15 18:57

    More slope action. Not as extreme.

  9. #9len7402009-12-16 19:18

    hiballer627; nice pics keep posting like too see slope work.!!!!

  10. #10Grader4me2009-12-17 05:07

    That looks better..good job! I just usually keep the grader in the ditch line and swing my blade up on the slope like you did in your first picture. If I can't reach the top then I'll place my front end higher.

  11. #11SAH2009-12-17 09:04

    thats pretty cool.i've never seen that done or heard of it being done, but i've never really been around graders that much other than fine grading building pads with a laser setup.

  12. #129420pullpan2009-12-17 13:40

    YouTube - MOTOR GRADER

  13. #13tripper_1742009-12-17 16:52

    Good grief! Is the guy in the video still employed???

  14. #14Grader4me2009-12-17 20:00

    Wild isn't it? I seen this video before, I think that I posted a link to it on here quite awhile back.

  15. #15DoosanFan2009-12-18 13:51

    If you can do it...

  16. #16Motor Grader2009-12-18 21:28

    We dont often get to see graders being that aggressive...very cool shot mtrgrdr. Were you there? Customer or demo? Look for a new fleet of Champion C80's running around the great state of SC. We delivered 6 a couple months ago. God I love SC! Tell your Governor to hang in there....he's ok in my book.

  17. #17Scrub Puller2010-04-29 20:40

    Yair...how things change. On irrigation channel job back in 'seventys our operator used to put one of the original old Cat twelves at about forty five degrees on a 2.5:1 and cut out the steps and stairs. Thought nothing of it back then. I just thought that was how it was done. Pretty hard on tyres though scrubbing sideways. From memory his hire rate was nine bucks an hour fuel and tyres.

  18. #18charlie2010-05-07 23:54

    grader wow thats awesome I didn't know graders could do that .

  19. #19heavylift2010-05-08 01:20

    I worked on a dam in the 70's ... that the blade was attached to a d-6 cat with a cable ... don't know why... but the top of the dam is fairly steep... 2 to 1 maybe The dozer was on top and would just follow the blade as he did his thing. The blade was pushing the dirt to the top as he cut... not much ... I think he was more or less finishing it off... so it could be seeded...

  20. #20BritFitter2010-05-10 02:04

    In the uk graders are very thin on the ground.we had an aveling barford for a while but was old and unreliable and didn't have anyone who was intrested in operating.so it's good to see these pics because I never see graders on site and if I do see them there parked up in yards collecting dust! Hugh

  21. #21Rowdy162010-05-12 16:17

    When I was young and green I did what that guy in the video did. And more. Yes I tipped it over. But it was a rental, and because I was articulated the wrong way (like the Youtube guy) it did little damage. It landed on the top of the front tire, top of the cab, and the ripper block. After my lecture I think it made me a better operator. Now I know exactly where the tipping point is.:beatsme

  22. #22Grader4me2010-05-12 20:28

    Welcome to the forum Rowdy16! Hard way to find the tipping point..lol. I've been very very close, but have never gone over..Yes, we do learn from our mistakes..that's what makes a good operator..

  23. #23Tigerotor77W2010-05-13 01:00

    Wow. Another reasons graders are so darn awesome (and far beyond what I'm able to understand mechanically).

  24. #24ronnie2010-05-16 10:39

    the man on the volvo ain't no rookie see the way he has the azz end of the grader goin in the direction he needs it to be inline with the toe of the slope and he'e rollin the dirt down the slope not tryin to push it out it not tryin to be a smart azz but it's all in know how

  25. #25snapfruzen2010-05-18 01:30

    I agree with Ronnie. Notice he has blade sticking out the bottom side of the machine. If you keep a bit of blade out the lower side and on the ground, you're pretty safe. If you look close, you'll see that it is rocks that are giving him a bad time, when the heel hooks a rock it digs in and lifts the toe off the ground. He then has to carefully lift the heel to lift the rock out or lift over it. If you get all fancy smancy and shift everything out to the high side and articulate down the slope, when you hit a rock and it stands up under your blade, bye bye. A guy I used to work for did just this.

  26. #26ronnie2010-05-18 04:51

    your just mad because florida is flat:Banghead

  27. #27Aardvark2010-05-18 19:27

    Knows his ?hit Nice vid Pullpan. Not much seat time in a grader myself, but it looks to me like the guys a gun. Pushing the boundarys but he had it under control and didn't roll it. You normally know if a guys any good after watching him for a little while, don't even have to speak to 'em it's just obvious. Like clint says " mans gotta know his limitations ". :notworthy

  28. #28upbrakie2010-05-22 12:56

    Wish I could have gotten a picture but I saw a JD grader doing the same thing that the Volvo is doing when they widened I-70 in NE KS a few years ago. I was pretty impressed.

  29. #29Kman90902010-06-12 20:20

    Well I decided to go out and try it myself on the M blade. Really wasn't as hard as I thought would be. It doesn't look that steep but it's actually about a 1.5:1 slope. A D8 couln't stay on it.

  30. #30ben46a2010-06-13 17:31

    Dont you have a pull truck to be working on?

  31. #31Kman90902010-06-14 00:04

    pull truck huh nope that can put on side track for now! out of state workin. You a Comp D member?

  32. #32GPSGrader2010-06-21 00:11

    Sometimes I find it necessary to use Randy Krieg's trick. Sticking a scarifier tooth in the front oscillation joint between the axle and the stop block so that the hanging tire is higher. Therefore the frame of the machine is higher and more cylinder extension is possible. Sometimes if I need to retreive some material off a 2:1 fill slope that I cant put as tire on I need more room so I don't top out the lift cylinders. Real motor grader men should know what I'm talking about. It does catch some folks eyes! I just do whatever it takes to get it done right.

  33. #33Deeretime2010-06-22 20:38

    im not a pro blade man but if that was me i would have my back end on the bottom side of my windrow pushing my front end up the hill . so if i get into trouble i can back safely down the slope and putting myself in a better position to grade in

  34. #34Kman90902010-06-25 00:34

    My back end was on the bottom side of my windrow. I could of easily backed out of trouble. Actually had to a few times to get into that position.