I believe this is a 627G. Everyone was on lunch break when I walked through at Ohio Cat Columbus branch. I'll try to add pictures over the next several weeks on their progress.
More progress. The original tractor end burned. They are refurbishing a salvage tractor end to mate with the rear.
Another candidate, same process.
More
A few more
Nice! Thanks for sharing. It's not often we get to see a rebuild.
Impressive, thanks for posting!
Those are nice post, thank you! I wonder what it cost to redo one of those? How many hours and guys they have working on one?
I'll ask the next time I'm there about man hours. I've been told by my PSSR roughly 75% cost of new depending on the damage needed repaired. The picture with the front transmission removed, they had a clutch disc disintegrate generating material when they were drive testing it and had to open the transmission up again.
25% savings on a machine like that is a considerable savings. One basically gets a new machine with warranty. I may be wrong but they get a new serial # as well? That'd be a Nige question.
Oshkosh does that with their trucks. Old units are returned for a total rebuild and they come out with a new VIN and year of manufacture. My buddy had one that was originally built in the early 50s and rebuilt in 1978. It was badged a '78 with an updated VIN
If a machine is subjected to a full Certified Rebuild then yes it gets a new Serial Number in addition to a new machine warranty. There are other types of CR (e.g.Powertrain only) where the machine does not get a new S/N. https://www.cat.com/en_US/support/maintenance/certified-rebuild.html
I asked about the labor to rebuild. At least 2500 man hours. The pictures are of the one in the first post and had the transmission removed in another pic.
This one’s not nearly as pretty!
Do they rebuild alot of these?
We have four of them. This is the second one I’ve done all of the pins and bushings in the hitch on. The other two are still fairly tight. You can see the big crack in the hitch on this one. It was really loose and I drug my feet too long on getting it tightened up….
series G deere front end loaders were the best. deere quit supporting them when contractors and farmers that owned/ran them....were bringing them in with 20k hours....telling the dealer to zero time them. dealers go, that's going to cost you 75-100k dollars....contractor goes...you want $250k for a new one. get it done.