Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F-650

90plow · 2006-03-29 22:34

I own a 2003 F-650 with the Cat 210 B (I think its B). I was wondering if there is anyway to get more power out of this truck. Thanks Eric

Replies21
  1. #1nevrenufhp2006-03-31 09:18

    If it's 210 B, then it could be a 210 hp Cummins ISB. The only other choice is a Cat 3126E(or C7 they call it now). There's performance modules for both of them. Go here to find it: http://www.edgeproducts.com/rv.html

  2. #2Ford LT-90002006-03-31 14:01

    If it is the Cummins I would probably leave it be you really don't want to turn it up anymore and loose durability. Also if this truck is a automatic with the Cummins behind it I can see why you say you need more power. Its not the engines problem its the power robbing automatic. You can tell if the engine is a Cat if its painted yellow or it has Caterpillar filters or says Cat on it. If you don't know what engine it is how are you supposed to increase the power. Also is this your truck ? If not leave it alone its being spec'ed with lower power so the employees don't drive it hard.

  3. #3Orchard Ex2006-03-31 20:38

    Ford put the Cat 3126B in the F650 in '03 as an option to their Ford (International) diesels. I don't think that Cummins has supplied engines to Ford medium duty trucks in a while, at least since Ford's deal with International back with the T444/7.3 and now with the VT365/6.0. The edge plug-in that nevrenufhp mentioned will work for the 3126B but you may be able to go to your Ford truck or Cat engine service shop and get it "reset" to a higher hp for the same or less cost. I think that engine came from Cat up to 300hp.

  4. #4nevrenufhp2006-03-31 22:06

    It can go to 330hp in a Fire truck or RV:wink2

  5. #5Ford LT-90002006-03-31 22:53

    If he really does have the 3126 Cat the engine should be good for 300hp he might have to take it to a Cat dealer to do it. May have to change the injectors for some bigger ones.

  6. #690plow2006-04-01 16:02

    This truck is mine and my father's. Its for our company, we tow a skidsteer and mini excavator with it as well as alot of dirt. The motor is definately a Cat, I'm at school right now and I dont have the exact number but I think it was the 3126B. I was looking at the edge, for this truck, but it says for RV's I dont know if this works in the 650's or not? Also thinking about making a bigger air intake with a K&N air filter and precharger system. Thanks, Eric

  7. #7Ford LT-90002006-04-01 16:37

    Like I said take it to a Cat dealer have them turn it up simple as that adding a filter will do zippo for that engine. A K&N is the worst POS you can put on a diesel it will distroy the turbo. A F-650 is a pretty light duty truck so you can't be hauling much dirt with it. A RV engine rating is far different from a vocational rating so you will loose some life with the engine if you turn it up.

  8. #890plow2006-04-01 20:21

    What do they do when turning it up? It was just a thought adding a different filter, but good point about destroying the turbo. Thanks Eric

  9. #9nevrenufhp2006-04-01 20:24

    They just reprogram to a higher hp level that's already in the Cat computer system, basically a reflash. AFE filters are better filtering than K&N.:thumbsup

  10. #10Ford LT-90002006-04-01 21:57

    The turbo sucks the oil out of the K&N then allows dirt to pass through which hits your turbo and does a number on it. If you take it to a Cat dealer they will tell you how much you can take the engine without changing injectors or internal parts.

  11. #11Dozerboy2006-04-02 00:15

    Do it, it will take the power. While I do agree there are only so many hp hours in a diesel, but power is good and a mild increase won't kill it any time soon. There shouldn't be so much oil on a K&N that it would be sucked out of the filter. Yes they are POS IMO thanks to the dirt they let in, but it won’t kill your turbo it will kill you bearings. Here is a test we did on the diesel performance forum I'm on. You can see how bad the K&N did, but resent test have shown the K&N doesn’t generally do this bad.

  12. #12Bob Horrell2006-04-03 23:42

    If you really want a guaze filter, the AFE is superior to the K&N. Their ProGuard7 has 7 layers of guaze and still flows air better than any other filter. I did some testing for them when they first designed it. I tried every filter on the market trying to keep dirt out of my 425hp Cummins 5.9 on all the dirt roads I drive. With 42lbs of boost I could pull dirt through any filter out there but a paper one and they restricted air flow too much to keep my EGTs down. This filter actually flows better than no filter (the pleats streamline the air and prevent turbulence) on a dyno, and it passes absolutely no dirt. I found the best test for dirt was the white glove test. After hard use, remove the filter and use a clean white cloth to wipe the inside of the air horn between the filter and the intake. Even on filters where my silica was low or engine oil lab tests, I could still pick up fine dirt on the white glove test. Not so with the ProGuard7.

  13. #13Wolf2006-04-07 14:42

    Round Dump Trailers Does anyone know why the dump trailers used for hauling dirt/rock in the West are usually rounded bottom (half cylinder)? You never see these on the East Coast.

  14. #14DKinWA2006-04-07 22:59

    For the most part, they're cheaper to build. A lot less fabricating and welding to do, so the labor costs are less.

  15. #15CharlieFoxtrot2006-06-12 16:55

    My present employer has a number of F650s with Cummins power, approx 2001-2003 models. At the time we bought them, the Cummins was the most powerful engine available. We also have a couple of F750s with 250HP/625Ft-LB Cats, the most power available with an Allison in those trucks at the time. I've uprated them to 800 Ft LB. kevin

  16. #16Jeff D.2006-06-12 21:38

    I wonder at what size/class the trucks went from still being considered a Ford truck,and kept that name,to being a part of the truck division that was taken over and renamed Sterling? I.e. What is the largest size commercial truck Ford still has on the market?

  17. #17Orchard Ex2006-06-12 22:00

    I still see new F-750's advertised up to 33K GVWR.

  18. #18CharlieFoxtrot2006-06-13 09:03

    The 750 is the biggest @ 33000 GVW. IIRC, there were NO Ford medium duty trucks for a couple of years, probably to comply with a non-compete agreement. kevin

  19. #19Ford LT-90002006-06-13 14:46

    I don't think I would buy a F-Series medium duty if they still made the L series maybe. The Sterling is worth a look but you can't beat a Paccar product.

  20. #20CharlieFoxtrot2006-06-13 15:08

    IMO it depends on your needs. At my current job (I say that b/c I only have a 8 days left here), we have 5th wheel decks & pintle hooks on the F650s (Cummins power with Allisons) and F750s (Cat power with Allisons) and they work fine for our needs. And the price was right. As a single-axle dump, I have no idea how well they'd do. At my new job we have all (except one) tri-axle dumps. Mostly Pete 357s, a Granite, an R-series Mack, just bought a new Sterling, and an Autocar we're going to restore some day. The extra truck is a tandem Louisville Ford. The Petes, Sterling and Autocar are C13 with Eaton-Fuller 8LLs. kevin

  21. #21Ford LT-90002006-06-13 15:45

    No triaxles used here but tridrives are around they work good for hauling larger loads but can't get into places a tandem can go. The benefits of the tridrive is they will go anywhere with all 3 axles locked they don't steer very well thou. I was going to go back into the dump truck business and be a o/op but there is very little profit with the high price of fuel and cost of tires etc. I have been looking through the Canada trader truck classifieds for B.C. and you see quite a few owner op trucks forsale. Guys getting out because the profit isn't there you just break even.