This 1999 F550 was a bucket truck servicing grain silos in Iowa farm country. I stripped the bucket, rack, then the bed yesterday. Lotsa work. After getting all in shape, I'm putting a flatbed on it to tow heavy gooseneck. I power washed it today and now I have a clean stripped chassis cab, but there's been some welding on the frame that I can't figure out. Looks like a 24" section was added. But frame length is standard, 80" cab to axle. Just like the tool bed I took off. It looks like a cross member for center support was added. There's a carrier bearing on the driveshaft in that added section. It doesn't look stock to me. Check out how the cross member has been welded in the middle, and the carrier bearing support looks like chunks of stock. Weird. Or maybe the frame got bent there and it was repaired. The welds use heavy gusseting on the inside, looks like a pro did it. Maybe one of you guys has an F550 99-03 and can shed some light. ]
The curious cross member that looks like it was added. Note that it's not part of the bucket support subframe, those are the cross beams on top of the frame rails, just behind (see previous post) Here is the whole beast
The truck frame was converted to fit the construction box. Happens a bunch.
Look factory to me. The rails are welded in every one I've seen. I've yet to see one crack at or near those welds.
Wow, wut? You're saying every 550 comes with a welded-in frame section? Wow, this is my first 550. I didn't know. It does look well done.
That was my first thought. But the extra bracing for the bucket is those two cross beams on top of the frame rails. That's where I whacked off the bolts holding the boom turret with my little old acetylene torch. The only thing in the welded in section is that driveshaft center support.
I've been under 4 different ones, different years. All had welded sections. Wait till you remove the cab to perform engine work. All kinds of patchwork.
Heh heh, well that's coming up soon. It needs a piston, at least. My son wrenches at a local shop, they nicknamed him Mr Cab Puller. He's quick, but hates doing 6.4s and 6.7s.
It looks stretched to me. Maybe all the longer ones are done this way from the factory. These are pictures of my โ06 550 that is a shorter frame. I believe they call it a 60โ back of cab to axle. The entire frame on mine is only 9โ. No weld anywhere on my frame behind the cab. If you look in those pictures my cross brace is in between the front spring mounts.
Yep, the OP's truck was a 60" cab to axle that was stretched to 80".
I thought that 80" was the short 550. Turns out I was all wrong for a crew cab. For the crew cab, 60" cab/axle is the shortest, and 84" is the longest. So what you say makes sense, with a 24" section added to my frame. My truck may have been stretched from 176" wb to 200" wb. Here's a snippet from the 2005 Cab Chassis Ford material
Now that this is solved and you seem to think the stretch job is satisfactory, what sort of flatbed will you be putting on? I like the red paint. I could not find anything other than white when I bought mine
I checked the DOT sticker on the door and it says ... 176" WB. Which indeed shows that my frame was stretched years ago. As for a bed, I will probably buy a simple flatbed gooseneck then weld on my own storage here and there. I'll post pics. Right now, I need to address some mechanical issues and having the bare frame sure helps.
Keep us posted! I like pictures.
Here he is, we're about to cut off the exhaust in this pic. Next, time to tie the wiring harness up and get the frame sandblasted. After that, the plan is to Line-X the frame back of the cab, if the price is reasonable. Else it's Tractor Supply farmer paint in gallon cans.
View attachment 209192 Here he is, we're about to cut off the exhaust in this pic. Next, time to tie the wiring harness up and get the frame sandblasted. After that, the plan is to Line-X the frame back of the cab, if the price is reasonable. Else it's Tractor Supply farmer paint in gallon cans. View attachment 209192
I use the Farmer paint, good service of it if not concerned of not so pretty when applied, just covers well and seems to hold up well.
Looks to me like the air bag mounts are pretty bent up. It would be a lot easier to straighten them now before you mount the bed. You might be able to put a angle brace/ gusset from the flatbed frame rail, to the top of the airbag mount, after you mount the bed, to stiffen them up.
Damn straight, you spotted that too. They are bolted in top and bottom, but I don't like that bend in there. I'm getting the frame sandblasted soon. With all the rust, it's a pain to work on and dirty too. The sandblasting guy wants me to hold off on penetrating oil till he's done. Before I invest time in bracing the bag mounts, I want to make sure those airbags are still available. Mine are looking old **.
OK guys, I just found the story behind this truck. It was driven by the lead tech at a company in Iowa, they build and maintain grain elevators, silos, farm stuff. He's the guy who personally extended my truck from 176" to 200" WB. He could do anything mechanical or welding. He drove it every work day and rinsed it off back at the shop every winter day. The rust is only bad up under where the toolbed was, where he could not rinse. I'm going to have to replace the fuel tank, for example. Nothing on the truck has ever broken down. He changed oil every 4k. He had a photographic memory of every aspect of their business and spoke with the boss dozens of times a day. He was employee number one in every way, 30 years with the same company. Then one day he woke up and didn't know his wife. Forgot everybody at work. Forgot all he knew. Brain tumor. A year later he was dead. The boss decided to sell his truck. Hug your wife and kids, treasure every day, brothers. It might be your last.
Hard days when a friend dies while still walking. Know of two that developed memory issues and rather quickly accelerated into full blown Alzheimer's, both passed before made 60 where both were physically alive almost two years before forgot how to eat or drink and died of starvation. Sorry to hear of this man's passing.